177 replies to this topic

#21 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

The Newsday article conveniently over looks the fact that LIRR has hindered Amtrak from assisting when it refused to cut its trains to accommodate the track work. How can there be an outage if you're ramming trains through the area? AS the only 24 hour commuter service in the country, LIRR was approached by the MTA about stopping service to save money.  LIRR politicians refused to cut overnight trains (accurately) citing the economical benefits of 24 hour service. That's all well and good, but you can't work on tracks with trains running on them.

As such, I can agree that there is a lack of leadership because a true leader would take have taken a hard line stance and said "We're taking the tracks out of service. Period. Run your full schedules at your own peril."  No one bats an eye when a freight railroad shuts down the line and says trains aren't running. Instead, they let the commuter agencies dictate policy in their own terminal through funds...which Amtrak desperately needs.

I also remember MTA having the same problem when two trains sideswiped outside of BRP. This is just the latest incident in an industry that continues to cut and roll the dice. The brain drain of 2013 still rages on and the Not Ready For Prime Time Players continue to lead by their wallets (which in some cases is accurate) without an eye towards the consequences..that may come sooner rather than later.

As for the security theater, there are documented policies in place that have command procedures. Each division and their responsibilities are listed. However, the passengers probably don't have them and it is likely they are the group of people that are going run around and wreak havoc. As such, if you put in one agency, 18 agencies or no agencies, a panic is a panic. A riot is a riot. A stampede will still become a stampede.   After all, Newsday conveniently leaves out that mayhem ensued at JFK airport in New York last year after there were false reports of gun fire.  The fleeing passengers paid little attention to the announcements as they raced around.  I'd like to see more occur (such as the master announcer that supposedly exists within NYP), but thinking you can legislate reactions has always been a source of amusement for me.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 01 May 2017 - 08:43 AM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#22 Pooh2

Pooh2

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:06 AM

We just booked a trip from Boston to New Orleans for 4th of July week with about an hour and half wait at NYP. What do they do with us if we miss the Crescent (in a sleeper)? 

Already bought nonrefundable plane tickets for the return trip.

#23 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,329 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

I agree with Thirdrail. With the excellent leadership being provided by the Governors in the NY area, the Commuter service will first descend to the state of WMATA before things start improving. Improvements will happen only after a few of these guys start losing elections wholesale. And if they don't, be ready for things tog et worse. Actually, Cuomo is at least getting the long delayed third track between Floral Park and Hicksville on the LIRR Main Line pushed forward at least. But LIRR really needs to perform much better in Capital Projects than the low bar they have set for themselves with the ESA project.

Edited by jis, 01 May 2017 - 02:10 PM.

#24 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

We just booked a trip from Boston to New Orleans for 4th of July week with about an hour and half wait at NYP. What do they do with us if we miss the Crescent (in a sleeper)? 

Already bought nonrefundable plane tickets for the return trip.

If it is a guaranteed connection, they will typically hold the Crescent in WAS until you arrive. They may switch you to an Acela for the intercept. Chances are, they will leave you on the through trains to WAS. If you are so late that intercept isn't feasible, they will offer lodging and accommodate you on the next Crescent.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#25 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

I was on a Crescent from NYP to ATL back in October, they held us in WAS to wait for connections from North of NYC on the corridor because of residual delays from a CSX derail in the Bronx that blocked access to the Hell Gate Bridge.

#26 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:26 PM

LIRR not wanting to cut trains may have to do with not wanting to loose out the total count of passengers to MNRR ?

#27 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,329 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

LIRR not wanting to cut trains may have to do with not wanting to loose out the total count of passengers to MNRR ?

Seems like an odd reason to compromise safety.

#28 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:05 PM

But LIRR really needs to eprform much better in Capital Projects than the low bar they have set for themselves with the ESA project.

Is it *possible* to set a lower bar than the LIRR? Perhaps the unfinished Jakarta Monorail, where the pillars are all built (the difficult and expensive part) but nobody ever bothered to finish putting the trackbed up? (Though they are now using the pillars for an elevated LRT, so that's good.)

Or the original Cincinnati Subway?

Short of those, LIRR seems to have the worst-managed capital projects in the world.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#29 Green Maned Lion

Green Maned Lion

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

Having been at loggerheads with one of their former planning directors, I can't imagine why.
Travelled: Broadway Limited (1), Lake Shore Limited (6), Capitol Limited (7), Empire Builder (1), Southwest Chief (2), Sunset Limited (1), California Zephyr (3), Coast Starlight (2), Silver Meteor (5), Silver Star (5), Silver Palm (2), Crescent (1), Cardinal (4), Auto Train (4), Pennsylvanian (2), Palmetto (1), Acela Express (1), Empire Service (1), Northeast Regional (11), Keystone Service (1) --- Total Miles: 50,144 --- Total Trains: 61
Most important: Keep it Simple, Stupid!
Posted Image
Dream of love, dream of me, for you are my love. I love you.
Avatar and sig were done by my fiance, Corvidophile.

#30 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,329 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

Having been at loggerheads with one of their former planning directors, I can't imagine why.

LOL! I share your feeling.

#31 west point

west point

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

LOL! I share your feeling.

The results or more lack of results with their last few projects including "Sandy" preparations seems to put spotlight on these problems ?
ESA and Harold flyovers are just some of the biggest.

Edited by west point, 02 May 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#32 CelticWhisper

CelticWhisper

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

So do we think this will interfere with a WAS-PVD Acela trip since it passes through NYP?

#33 Mystic River Dragon

Mystic River Dragon

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

I think that things that have been neglected for years are finally getting fixed thanks to Wick Moorman actually being a lifelong railroad man and realizing what has to be done instead of sweeping it under the rug or not understanding the severity of the deteriorating infrastructure.

I find it ironic that the NJ newspapers have an article almost every day about how commuters to New York will have to put up with 15-minute delays because of the repair work. NJT has routinely had 15-minute delays for years now, for reasons far less important than this. I simply assume my southbound NJT train will come into Princeton Junction 15 minutes late every afternoon and plan accordingly.

The other ironic thing is that New York commuters have more than one train a day and other options to get around. The people who should be complaining are those who have one train in and out of town three days a week and that's it.

#34 John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

So do we think this will interfere with a WAS-PVD Acela trip since it passes through NYP?

All depends on which tracks are taken out at any given time.

jb

LDS Been On:

Old: Phoebe Snow (EL), Montrealer (AT), Laurentian (D&H)

RBBB: St. Petersburg - W. Palm Beach, Lakeland - Atlanta, Baltimore - NYC, Rochester, NY - Hartford, Albuquerque - Salt Lake City, Denver - Chicago

Modern: Ocean (VIA), Silver Star, Capitol Limited, Texas Eagle, Autotrain, Carolinian, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Lake Shore Limited

#35 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

If the LD trains could not run into NYP, would they continue as far as PHL? I have a trip planned to LI in July during a work period, but as long as the train reached PHL I could still make it to the LIRR using a combination of SEPTA, NJT, PATH, and NYC Subway.
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH (July), Cardinal CHI-WAS (July), Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#36 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,329 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:52 AM

ESA and Harold flyovers are just some of the biggest.

There are no Harold flyovers. They are both duck-unders.

#37 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,329 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

If the LD trains could not run into NYP, would they continue as far as PHL? I have a trip planned to LI in July during a work period, but as long as the train reached PHL I could still make it to the LIRR using a combination of SEPTA, NJT, PATH, and NYC Subway.

I doubt that any LD service will be affected, other than some possible timetable adjustments. I also doubt very much that too many Acelas will be affected, again except for some minor timetable adjustments. What will be most affected are NJT and LIRR Commuter train, which are likely to face significant service reduction over those two periods.

#38 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

Curbed had an article about a roof leak in Penn today as well as all the track issues (at least that's what I thought I saw - as in it was a new article).

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#39 Metra Electric Rider

Metra Electric Rider

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

I suppose a link would be more useful than me just saying it, so here you go!

https://ny.curbed.co...rs-andrew-cuomo

SJ - Norra Stambanan, Nordvästra stambanan, Södra stambanan, Dalabanan

NSB- Bergensbanen, Kongsvingerbanen, Rørosbanen, Dovrebanen, Flåmsbana, Roa–Hønefossbanen

Amtrak - Floridian, San Francisco Zephyr, Southwest Limited, Illini, State House

#40 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,329 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

I doubt that any LD service will be affected, other than some possible timetable adjustments. I also doubt very much that too many Acelas will be affected, again except for some minor timetable adjustments. What will be most affected are NJT and LIRR Commuter train, which are likely to face significant service reduction over those two periods.

Coming to think of it, the one LD train in greatest danger of being affected is the Lake Shore Limited, since it passes through a hard to avoid single point. Although with some care in planning it may be avoidable too. The other trains have many alternative paths through the station, and it is hard to imagine that they will knock out all those paths at the same time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users