My trip to Florida

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackpup

Service Attendant
Well, I can't say that it was uneventful. The first train to Chicago, the EB #8 was two hours late getting into Wisconsin Dells. We rode coach to Chicago and the people in the car were very quiet. It was raining most of the way to Chicago, but it was a very relaxing ride. Got to union station ( very bad signage there, had a hard time finding where to go to find where the cabs are), I only accidentally found the sign. Some Uber taxi, practically grabbed us, and put us in his cab. Anyway, cost about $20 to get to our hotel, Radisson Blu Aqua (best hotel I've ever stayed at, beautiful).

So spent two nights in Chicago, then took an Uber back to Union Station where we waited in the Metro Lounge. They had cheese, cut up veggies with dip, soda, sparkling water, coffee, and that fancy coffee stuff. It was a nice touch to have those little snacks out. Then after they took those little snacks away, they put out dried fruit snacks. Then it was time to board the CL #30, we got a red cap to take us to the train. Train had problems and we didn't get out of Chicago till an hour late. Our SCA was Cliff. He was okay, did what he was supposed to do, but nothing extra. Tipped him $10 at the end of the trip.

Top bunk on the superliner in a roomette leaves a lot to be desired. It is awful, I got motion sick really bad. I hated it. I would rather sleep in coach.

It was pretty going through the Allegeny mountains once we hit PA, train was a lot slower and a lot smoother. Made it into DC about 1.5 hours late and didn't leave much time for sightseeing.

Oh and the CL sleeper had orange juice, coffee and water.

Waited in the Acela Lounge for the next train the SM #97, which was about 40 minutes late getting into DC. The SCA on the SM was fantastic. His name was Preston. He did over and beyond his normal duties. I did tip him very well, he was a lot of fun.

The upper bunk of the viewliner is a bit better than the superliner, as there is head room, but I do not like the toilet in the room at all. I found the seats to be a bit narrower than the superliner because of the toilet. But the train was very rocky all night long and I have the bruises to prove it.

The SM sleeper had coffee and water but no juice.

We arrived in Winter Park about 45 minutes late.

The dining car attendants on both trains were not that great. The food was not to bad. On the SM, for diner, the chef mixed up our orders and the dining car attendant did not catch it. We ordered the shrimp and was supposed to get rice, but instead got mashed potatoes, and our dining car companions got the chicken and were supposed to get mashed potatoes and got the rice.

All in all, I am not sure I would ever do a 2 night long distance train travel again. One night in coach would be okay, I think it would be a smoother ride than trying to sleep in an upper bunk. I would rather take the train to DC, if we go there for a few nights visit, because it takes you right where everything is. If you fly you are about an hour away.

But next time we go to Florida, we will fly.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you fly into Reagan International (DCA) you can catch the metro to downtown DC. Eventually, maybe 2020, there will also be a metro from Dulles. Long ride, but no driving.

The SCA on the SM was fantastic. His name was Preston. He did over and beyond his normal duties.
Preston is one of the best (and one of my favorites on the Silver Meteor). I hope you enjoyed your stay in Florida and that the brush fires did not interfere with your vacation.

The SCA on the SM was fantastic. His name was Preston. He did over and beyond his normal duties.
Preston is one of the best (and one of my favorites on the Silver Meteor). I hope you enjoyed your stay in Florida and that the brush fires did not interfere with your vacation.
We were in St Augustine, drove up from Winter Park. Drive on the way up was very crowded with cars, drive on the way back wasn't so bad. But next time, I will get off in Jacksonville. We stopped for fuel, there and was able to get off the train to stretch our legs, and the area didn't look bad at all. Anyway, St Augustine could use rain, but there were no brush fires by us.

Back