Sacramento Motels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slither

Train Attendant
Has anyone had experience with hotels around the Sacramento Amtrak train station in regards to rates and convenience to station? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Didn't stay there, but there is a Vagabond Inn just across the street from the Amtrak station in Sacramento. A Perko's diner is just behind it; I can personally recommend their chicken fried steak & eggs breakfast....

Edit To Add: Have to take part of that back; just checked Google and it says Perko's at the station is now permanently closed... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I have stayed at the Vagabond and while it's not exactly a five-star motel, it for me has been comfortable enough. And it's not overly expensive. And you certainly can't beat its location.

I'm sorry to hear about Perko's; it was a great place for breakfast.

Any new FOOD choices in the new station?
In the station, no there are not. There's a Starbucks in the old REA next door but there is no food per se in the station.

IIRC the city is either looking for someone to take some space they opened up in the station for a restaurant or they have someone but it hasn't been built yet. They mentioned it when it was open for tours a month or so ago but I forgot exactly what they said.

What's really sad is that there used to be a vibrant Chinatown across the street until someone came up with the brilliant (NOT) idea to modernize. I guess it could have been something like Japantown Center in San Francisco that's kind of sterile but still busy. Or like Honolulu. However, Sacramento's suffered a slow decline over the years.

A Chinese takeout or bakery across the street from the train station could have been really busy. Or it could have been like many where Vietnamese owned businesses opened, like bahn mi (sandwich) shops.

Last time I was in Sacramento I stayed at the Econo Lodge about 1 mi from the station. I caught a bus near the station (7th & H streets) and got off at F street and 16th for the short walk (about 875 feet) to the Econo Lodge.

The back of the station is on H at what would be 4th if 4th went through the station. So 7th is just 3 blocks east.

I had an early dinner at an Italian place near the Econo Lodge that closed at 5 PM.

A one night stay cost me $65, including a Continental breakfast in the morning before I walked back to F & 16th, caught the bus back to 7th & H so I could get on the #6 California Zephyr.

Bus fare for seniors is $0.35 one way.

If you're looking for a budget motel and don't mind hoofing it, there's a Red Roof Inn south of the Zinfandel station on the Gold Line. It's about a 10-minute walk from the station -- doesn't look that far on GoogleMaps but the busy intersection is troublesome.

My favorite HI hostel in all of North America is the Victorian mansion at the NW corner of 10th & H across the street from City Hall.

They have dorm rooms and some private rooms.

For breakfast if they are open, try Jim Denny's on 12th St. between H and I. They are famous for the "hubcap with spokes" which is a pancake with bacon strips and an egg for the hub.

The other place I walked to (long walk) was the Fox & Goose south of the capitol. You can get a "proper English breakfast" there. In the evening it is a pub.

You may not fancy a hostel, but the HI Hostel on H street is in an old wooden building of historical interest. Rates are around $35 per night for a shared dormitory room. Oops, I was just composing and see there is another vote for the same place. :D

I have also stayed at the Vagabond, which was fine too.

Ed.

My favorite HI hostel in all of North America is the Victorian mansion at the NW corner of 10th & H across the street from City Hall.

They have dorm rooms and some private rooms.

For breakfast if they are open, try Jim Denny's on 12th St. between H and I. They are famous for the "hubcap with spokes" which is a pancake with bacon strips and an egg for the hub.

The other place I walked to (long walk) was the Fox & Goose south of the capitol. You can get a "proper English breakfast" there. In the evening it is a pub.
As a local I endorse all of these. Though I've never stayed at the hostel as they don't allow locals to overnight there I always wanted to check it out. When I lived in the neighborhood I walked by it daily and even remember when it was moved back to that corner from across the street.

I stayed at the Vagabond a couple of weeks ago, ditto the above. Perkos is now a sorta combo coffee shop and beer bar, and they still serve breakfast.

There are several motels around Richards Blvd. and I-5, including a Motel 6. It's (usually) a $5 Uber ride from the station.

Spent one night at the Vagabond in Sacramento about a week ago and it was a good choice for us. Couldn't get any closer to the station or the railroad museum. Noise from the elevated highway would probably turn off light sleepers, but it didn't bother me or the spouse. Only real down side was a slow draining commode, but a guy with a plunger showed up in about 5 minutes. Didn't get a chance to try the free breakfast as the CS departed for LAX too early.

Would stay there again without hesitation.

I'll add another endorsement for the HI SAC location - stayed there last summer, booked to stay there again this summer. I love (aside from the price point of other nearby hotels) that I can just come off the train and turn onto H Street to get there, without having to even set foot inside the station if I don't want to. (And bonus points, if the timing works, that I can fan the light rail on the way - if you're on the correct side of the road for the hostel, you'll be walking next to the light rail tracks for a few blocks, till they turn at 7th & H).

Didn't stay there, but there is a Vagabond Inn just across the street from the Amtrak station in Sacramento. A Perko's diner is just behind it; I can personally recommend their chicken fried steak & eggs breakfast....

Edit To Add: Have to take part of that back; just checked Google and it says Perko's at the station is now permanently closed... :(
Yepp, I had planned on a Barnburner burger from Perko's during my 4-21 layover between the CZ and SJ in downtown SAC, but ended up walking an extra block to an under construction Subway for a 12" Spicy Itallian meal. At least I had a TOGO cup to take Dr. Pepper back to the station in. Price results totalled about the same as I added cookies to their meal combo.

Beware--the Richards Motel 6 may look to be a better alternative to Vagabond, but whatever you do, avoid the Motel 6 (#1005) CSUS College Town location which might be a temptation due to its proximity to RT Metro rail. My elderly father was attacked there one early morning in May of 2014 by some bum trying to rob him as he left his room trying to load his vehicle. Since this incident, I've avoided booking rooms at any Motel 6 in large metropolitan areas that doesn't have indoor hallways and close-up parking.

So, I haven't posted here in a while (hi! :lol: ) but I concur that the Vagabond Inn is a fine place to stay in Sacramento. Last summer though, they claimed they were remodeling when I wanted to book a room, so I ended up staying in Davis at the Hallmark Inn (a block-ish from the station) and it's now my go-to place. Not only is it really easy to get to from the train station, it's reasonable (not quite as cheap as Vagabond, but was cheaper than the Holiday Inn in SAC) and I found Davis way more walkable/fun than Sacramento. They also gave me free drink vouchers to the hotel bar, which I didn't use, because single lady+alone+hotel bar=creeps. But still, I'm going back this summer and am very excited.

Second on Davis and the Hallmark Inn over boring Sacramento!(It's the Capital of the Golden State, one would expect better!Sorry tp49 and Kirk!)

Once you've seen the Great Cali Rail Museum, no reason to go back to SAC! YMMV

Beware--the Richards Motel 6 may look to be a better alternative to Vagabond, but whatever you do, avoid the Motel 6 (#1005) CSUS College Town location which might be a temptation due to its proximity to RT Metro rail. My elderly father was attacked there one early morning in May of 2014 by some bum trying to rob him as he left his room trying to load his vehicle. Since this incident, I've avoided booking rooms at any Motel 6 in large metropolitan areas that doesn't have indoor hallways and close-up parking.
Both College Town and Richards draw a number of transients due to the proximity to the American River Bike Trail. The Richards/Jiboom Street areas can get sketchy especially after dark. I'd like to say I'm surprised that something happened on College Town Drive but considering it's location sadly, I'm not as there are similar problems on the south side of the 50 interchange there.

Second on Davis and the Hallmark Inn over boring Sacramento!(It's the Capital of the Golden State, one would expect better!Sorry tp49 and Kirk!)

Once you've seen the Great Cali Rail Museum, no reason to go back to SAC! YMMV
I like Davis (so thirded.) Nice place to visit. If the room rates there fit the budget I wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from staying there :cool:

Back