Getting off one stop early

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Roger Cole_*

Guest_Roger Cole_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

In August, my wife and another couple are planning a cross-country trip on AMTRAK.  I have done this two other times albeit almost 20 years ago.  We are taking the Capitol Limited to Chicago and transferring to the Southwest Chief.  We then are transferring to the Coast Starlight to Emeryville where we are scheduled to get off.  We will be staying at a hotel near the Oakland Airport.  Four days later, we are departing on the California Zephyr which originates in Emeryville.  Would AMTRAK have a problem if we detrained in Oakland (Jack London Square) station even though we are ticketed one stop further to Emeryville?  I realize now that getting off at Oakland would get us to our hotel earlier and save on the taxi fare.  If so, I guess we should have checked baggage tagged for Oakland and not Emeryville.  Since we're starting in Cumberland, MD which has no checked baggage, we'll have to stow our bags downstairs in our Superliner Sleeper and check them with AMTRAK when we get to Chicago.

#2 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,820 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

I routinely get off one stop early when traveling home to Orlando.  Depending on ride availability or SunRail schedule, I detrain in Winter Park instead of Orlando.  However, I never check luggage.  When I inform my attendant that I want to get off in Winter Park, the first thing I am asked is if I have any checked bags.

Since I do not check bags, I am not sure if you could check bags to Oakland, when you are ticketed to Emeryville.  You may have to modify your tickets, which may result in a fare increase or decrease.

Amtrak miles: 207,636; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean; Alaska Railroad Denali Star: 356 miles

#3 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

You can get off a stop earlier, but you have to alert your SCA so they can open the car door and notify the Conductor that you are getting.  Very routine.  The big issue is checked baggage.  Your bags will be checked to your destination based on what your ticket states.  If you do not want to modify your tickets then you would need to keep the bags with you, which can be stored on the luggage shelves on the lower level of the Superliners.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 206,000

#4 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,734 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

That's what I would suggest. Since you can't check your bags at your origin, don't check them in Chicago either. Instead,store then in the lower level luggage racks on the Southwest Chief and Coast Starlight. Use a Red Cap during your connections in LA and Chicago if necessary.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#5 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:45 PM

It shouldn't be too difficult to do that.  You can walk through the train and figure out where everyone getting of in Oakland are located to know which car should have an open door.  Heck - when you board you can probably request that you be marked to exit in Oakland.  In my experience, at least one car is going to have a combination of Oakland/Emeryille passengers.

You baggage is going to be hand tagged, so they could send it to any location along the way if you request it and tell them that you plan of exiting early.

For a hotel near Oakland Airport, a better way might be if you can somehow get off at OAC, although I'm not sure how that would work with your reservation - if you can arrange a short trip from OKJ or SJC..  You could take AC Transit 73 to the airport, and most hotels near the airport have shuttles.  There's also the new Oakland Airport BART connector.

#6 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,112 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:30 PM

I was booked to EMY once and later had a reason to get off at SJC (2 stops early?) so I just told my SCA that I would be detraining at SJC.
I did not have checked baggage though.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#7 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:50 AM

Once, during Thanksgiving season back in 2014, when I was traveling from Klamath Falls to Portland on the Coast Starlight, I was requested to get off at Salem rather than Portland by the person picking me up that day. After asking the conductor, I was able to get off the train in Salem. Since I did not have checked bags, it was no problemo. However be noted that you will not be refunded for the untraveled segment unless in the event of disruption.

Just a 23 year old college student who likes to travel by train.
Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Commuter/Transit Rail (US): Metra, TriMet, SoundTransit, Muni, LA MetroRail
Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, HUMETRO, METRO9
Ambus trips: BFD-LAX, EMY-SFC
Current Amtrak mileage: 17251 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users