Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

#14(18) lost 6 hours between EMY and MTZ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phil S

Phil S

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:17 AM

Emeryville, CA (EMY)

Ar  954P
Dp 1004P Ar 1008P 14 minutes late.
Dp 1101P 57 minutes late. Martinez, CA (MTZ) Ar 1046P
Dp 1046P Ar  444A 5 hours, 58 minutes late.
Dp  450A 6 hours, 4 minutes late.

What happened? Stuck behind broken freight? Found nothing in TO.

This is why I always board #14 in SJO rather than EMY. That way I can sleep through whatever happens during the night after SJO. Additional cost - $15? Highly recommended.

Phil S

US trains taken: Starlight, Zephyr (through both Wyo and Utah/Colorado), Lake Shore, Palmetto, SW Chief, Sunset, Southern Crescent, Cardinal, Carolinian, NEC Boston to Washington (including Night Owl though not yet on Accela), EB, NorthCoastHiawatha, Desert Wind, DRG through Colorado, Silver Star (NYP/CRN), Capital Limited, Wolverine, Seattle to Vancouver BC (before it was called the Sounder and since), probably others. 
Canada: CP (Vancouver/Calgary), CN (Calgary/Edmonton rail car. Edmonton/Pr George, Vancouver/Toronto. Toronto/Montreal, Montreal/Halifax), Prince George/Prince Rupert and BC Rail.,

Europe: All western European countries except Portugal and Ireland

Finland, Russia, Ukraine, Moldova,  Romania, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary,Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece

Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Algeria, and Japan.  

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

Emeryville, CA (EMY)

Ar  954P
Dp 1004P

Ar 1008P 14 minutes late.
Dp 1101P 57 minutes late.

Martinez, CA (MTZ)

Ar 1046P
Dp 1046P

Ar  444A 5 hours, 58 minutes late.

This is why I always board #14 in SJO rather than EMY. That way I can sleep through whatever happens during the night after SJO. Additional cost - $15? Highly recommended.

Check out the Dunsmuir cam on TO, you'll see a UP locomotive leading in front of just one Amtrak engine, don't know exactly why, but we can surmise!

#3 Phil S

Phil S

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

Emeryville, CA (EMY)

Ar  954P
Dp 1004P

Ar 1008P 14 minutes late.
Dp 1101P 57 minutes late.

Martinez, CA (MTZ)

Ar 1046P
Dp 1046P

Ar  444A 5 hours, 58 minutes late.

Check out the Dunsmuir cam on TO, you'll see a UP locomotive leading in front of just one Amtrak engine, don't know exactly why, but we can surmise!

Sad. But thanks for the info.

Phil S

US trains taken: Starlight, Zephyr (through both Wyo and Utah/Colorado), Lake Shore, Palmetto, SW Chief, Sunset, Southern Crescent, Cardinal, Carolinian, NEC Boston to Washington (including Night Owl though not yet on Accela), EB, NorthCoastHiawatha, Desert Wind, DRG through Colorado, Silver Star (NYP/CRN), Capital Limited, Wolverine, Seattle to Vancouver BC (before it was called the Sounder and since), probably others. 
Canada: CP (Vancouver/Calgary), CN (Calgary/Edmonton rail car. Edmonton/Pr George, Vancouver/Toronto. Toronto/Montreal, Montreal/Halifax), Prince George/Prince Rupert and BC Rail.,

Europe: All western European countries except Portugal and Ireland

Finland, Russia, Ukraine, Moldova,  Romania, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary,Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece

Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Algeria, and Japan.  

#4 KnightRail

KnightRail

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

P42 had to be removed. Clearly there were no spares available at that time in Oakland. Freight loco had to be ordered and that takes time on short notice. Crews likely had to be called to go fetch said freight loco and the delay snowballs especially if more issues arise.

#5 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

They also had to wait for the freight unit to complete its duties and prepare for the journey. I often wonder how (and if) these units return to their originating terminal.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#6 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:57 AM

Freight engines used in non-helper service rarely run light back to their home terminal. Instead, they will be used by crews at the distant terminal to power regular freight trains back to their home terminal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users