#14(18) lost 6 hours between EMY and MTZ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil S

OBS Chief
Emeryville, CA (EMY)

Ar 954P
Dp 1004P Ar 1008P 14 minutes late.
Dp 1101P 57 minutes late. Martinez, CA (MTZ) Ar 1046P
Dp 1046P Ar 444A 5 hours, 58 minutes late.
Dp 450A 6 hours, 4 minutes late.
What happened? Stuck behind broken freight? Found nothing in TO.

This is why I always board #14 in SJO rather than EMY. That way I can sleep through whatever happens during the night after SJO. Additional cost - $15? Highly recommended.

Emeryville, CA (EMY)

Ar 954P

Dp 1004P

Ar 1008P 14 minutes late.

Dp 1101P 57 minutes late.

Martinez, CA (MTZ)

Ar 1046P

Dp 1046P

Ar 444A 5 hours, 58 minutes late.

This is why I always board #14 in SJO rather than EMY. That way I can sleep through whatever happens during the night after SJO. Additional cost - $15? Highly recommended.
Check out the Dunsmuir cam on TO, you'll see a UP locomotive leading in front of just one Amtrak engine, don't know exactly why, but we can surmise!

Emeryville, CA (EMY)

Ar 954P

Dp 1004P

Ar 1008P 14 minutes late.

Dp 1101P 57 minutes late.

Martinez, CA (MTZ)

Ar 1046P

Dp 1046P

Ar 444A 5 hours, 58 minutes late.

Check out the Dunsmuir cam on TO, you'll see a UP locomotive leading in front of just one Amtrak engine, don't know exactly why, but we can surmise!
Sad. But thanks for the info.

P42 had to be removed. Clearly there were no spares available at that time in Oakland. Freight loco had to be ordered and that takes time on short notice. Crews likely had to be called to go fetch said freight loco and the delay snowballs especially if more issues arise.

They also had to wait for the freight unit to complete its duties and prepare for the journey. I often wonder how (and if) these units return to their originating terminal.

Freight engines used in non-helper service rarely run light back to their home terminal. Instead, they will be used by crews at the distant terminal to power regular freight trains back to their home terminal.

Back