• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

My last trip (10/2015), Amtrak was getting strict with the rule of no ice chest in sleepers. It was a real pain, as I like to relax with a few Adult Beverages while kicking back in my sleeper! How is the ICE situation these days???

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#2 ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

This forum really needs a "can of worms" smiley....
Posted Image 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

My last trip (10/2015), Amtrak was getting strict with the rule of no ice chest in sleepers. It was a real pain, as I like to relax with a few Adult Beverages while kicking back in my sleeper! How is the ICE situation these days???

See this post: http://discuss.amtra...il-17/?p=705578

This forum really needs a "can of worms" smiley....

When it comes to getting your own ice on Amtrak I think this image might be slightly more appropriate...

discipline.jpg

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#4 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

Just ask, most SCA's will fix you up.

John...

22,913 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

6489 more miles booked

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#5 Phil S

Phil S

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

Glad to see this wasn't about the other ICE.

Phil S

US trains taken: Starlight, Zephyr (through both Wyo and Utah/Colorado), Lake Shore, Palmetto, SW Chief, Sunset, Southern Crescent, Cardinal, Carolinian, NEC Boston to Washington (including Night Owl though not yet on Accela), EB, NorthCoastHiawatha, Desert Wind, DRG through Colorado, Silver Star (NYP/CRN), Capital Limited, Wolverine, Seattle to Vancouver BC (before it was called the Sounder and since), probably others. 
Canada: CP (Vancouver/Calgary), CN (Calgary/Edmonton rail car. Edmonton/Pr George, Vancouver/Toronto. Toronto/Montreal, Montreal/Halifax), Prince George/Prince Rupert and BC Rail.,

Europe: All western European countries except Portugal and Ireland, Finland, Russia, Ukraine, Moldova,  Romania, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary,Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Greece

Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Algeria, and Japan.  

#6 ScottRu

ScottRu

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

Phil

#7 ScottRu

ScottRu

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

(That was supposed to include a smiley face. LOL)

#8 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

Which is what I thought of originally, since the ice you put in a drink is "ice", and "ICE" is an abbreviation for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, for those that don't know.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#9 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

A small sanitary ice maker and self serve coffee maker should be included in any re-furb of the S-L sleeper beverage station. I've seen the coffee machines on the Auto Train, they aren't bad. That should end this as an issue 

#10 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

Not even an ice maker.... Just an ice dispenser is all that's needed! (Loaded with ice that is already loaded for the diner and cafe).

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#11 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:14 PM

As long as the storage area is not accessible to the public it would be fine. Lots of restaurants do that right now. A high volume ice maker, and staff periodically refills "soda stations"

#12 inspiration100

inspiration100

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:02 PM

How is ice provided on VIA rail routes?

I like Superliner trains, not a fan of the viewliner layout. Favorite route is the Coast Starlight.

#13 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

How is ice provided on VIA rail routes?

when I rode the Canadian a few years ago no ice or waters were provided in the sleepers. There was self serve coffee, hot tea, juice, and water (like a pitcher of water) In the park car... Which could be 4 or 5 cars from your room.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#14 tricia

tricia

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

I'd be thrilled if the coffee machines in sleepers were changed to provide hot water as well as coffee. Love to watch daylight arrive in my roomette with a cup of hot tea. Hate to have to beg for it.

#15 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

Don't the ones on the auto train do that? I think they do regular decaf and hot water For some reason the Douwie-Egbert name sticks in my mind....

#16 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,622 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:56 PM

Which is what I thought of originally, since the ice you put in a drink is "ice", and "ICE" is an abbreviation for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, for those that don't know.

When I first saw the title, I thought of the InterCity E​xpress!

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#17 RSG

RSG

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Travel, rail travel, libraries, current events

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

Don't the ones on the auto train do that? I think they do regular decaf and hot water For some reason the Douwie-Egbert name sticks in my mind....

Never been on the Auto Train, but the Club Acela lounge at the 30th Street Station in PHL has a single serve coffeemaker with a variety of pods for guest use (which are neither K-cups nor Senseo pods, but similar), and Douwe-Egberts sounds familiar, so I wonder if it's not the same setup. There are a number of commercial single-cup coffeemaker solutions [including Keurig®], so it wouldn't be a big deal (equipment-wise) to include them in a future sleeper build.

#18 RSG

RSG

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

A small sanitary ice maker and self serve coffee maker should be included in any re-furb of the S-L sleeper beverage station. I've seen the coffee machines on the Auto Train, they aren't bad. That should end this as an issue

A commercial version of the 'countertop' ice makers which have been popular in the past couple of years would be a solution. I'm sure they are already out there. Having a water line connection to the potable water tank would be required, but should be no different than the water dispenser setups which are already built in to most of the sleepers currently.

#19 RSG

RSG

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:50 PM

It's also what I thought of when I saw the headline, but I knew that this being a conversation about Amtrak that it couldn't possibly be about the 'other' ICE...

#20 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

Sleeper-Coffee-and-Ice-Auto-Train-from-y

Found a picture, not pods, but pushbutton dispensing.  K cups and other pods are generally pretty good, but pricey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users