• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:46 PM

How should I do this?

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#2 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

How should I do this?

Orange line to Quincy, then hike to CUS which is across the canal.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

#3 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

How far of a hike, walking is a bit difficult for me!

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#4 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:53 PM

I did this one in November. It is a long long hike from plane to el platform. 40 min ride to the loop and then 3+ blocks from Quincy station (on Wells) to Union Station.

#5 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:52 PM

Might he be able to get a red cap at the airport to at least take him close to the train. Then catch a bus after getting off at Quincy?

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#6 MikefromCrete

MikefromCrete

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

The Midway CTA station is a bit of a hike from the airport. You have to go through a parking structure and then down an enclosed elevated walkway, through the station and then down steps, an elevator or an escalator to get to the train platform. At Quincy, I don't believe there is an elevator, so you have to go down stairs, then walk about three blocks to the station (including going over the South Branch of the Chicago River).  If you have trouble waking, it would be much better to take a cab. 

#7 dogbert617

dogbert617

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:00 PM

Not many of the 'L stations in the southwest part of the Loop, are accessible. Closest nearby Orange Line station to Quincy that's accessible, is Washington/Wells (next station after Quincy). You always could request an Uber/Lyft/cab, to get over to Union Station.

#8 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:00 PM

Best bet is to take Lyft or Uber if you have difficulty walking. It's a long walk from the gate to the midway el station. Then another long walk from Quincy. At Quincy there are no escalators or elevators. Just stairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users