Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Getting to Inland Empire by train

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

Unless it's been edited, your only comment regarding the food (review) was  "Nothing has changed except their mustard seemed to be much less volatile than I remember it used to be."  My thought is that it must have something going for to be rated #5 of the 8310 restaurants in LA based on 1,600+ reviews on Trip Advisor.   Plan to find out for myself in about 10 days.  The Metro Plaza certainly isn't swanky but looked good enough for me, so I booked it.  The wife & I have stayed in some genuine dumps over the years.  It'll do.

Try it and let us know what you think. Most locals that I ask think its overrated. Probably because we can get better french dips at restaurant such as Houston's etc which I think is much more flavorful. For sure its a touristy thing to do when your in the area. Sometimes even though you know your walking into a tourist trap you just have to try it because it famous. If you can try Cole's as well. They claim they were the first.

Everything said it was a tourist trap but I went anyways to the Raffles Hotel in Singapore and paid $20+ each USD for Singapore Sling. There was allegedly alcohol in it, which I could not taste or feel afterwards. My observation is that famous places are more of a hoopla from people out of town than locals who generally have a bleh attitude.

19299231779_ec844ac3bc.jpg, on Flickr 

#22 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Unless it's been edited, your only comment regarding the food (review) was  "Nothing has changed except their mustard seemed to be much less volatile than I remember it used to be."  My thought is that it must have something going for to be rated #5 of the 8310 restaurants in LA based on 1,600+ reviews on Trip Advisor.   Plan to find out for myself in about 10 days.  The Metro Plaza certainly isn't swanky but looked good enough for me, so I booked it.  The wife & I have stayed in some genuine dumps over the years.  It'll do.

Try it and let us know what you think. Most locals that I ask think its overrated. Probably because we can get better french dips at restaurant such as Houston's etc which I think is much more flavorful. For sure its a touristy thing to do when your in the area. Sometimes even though you know your walking into a tourist trap you just have to try it because it famous. If you can try Cole's as well. They claim they were the first.

Everything said it was a tourist trap but I went anyways to the Raffles Hotel in Singapore and paid $20+ each USD for Singapore Sling. There was allegedly alcohol in it, which I could not taste or feel afterwards. My observation is that famous places are more of a hoopla from people out of town than locals who generally have a bleh attitude.

Sure.  There are tons of tourist traps out there.  One I know of is the Ghirardelli Soda Fountain in San Francisco.  There are people lining up for up to an hour to get a table there.  And what they serve is basically just tubs of Dreyer's/Edy's ice cream like one can get cheap at a supermarket.  Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's kind of a touristy thing to do.

My dad did say that if I was there I should stop by Phillippe for the cheap coffee, which I heard went up in price.

#23 wallylegs

wallylegs

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

Metro Plaza.....honest review..........I can do that. Stayed there overnight following Coastal Starlight journey, which was over an hour and a half late. Had intended to walk across the street as it seemed so simple.

Now I am a single elderly lady from Australia, and after venturing out into the street, I was confronted by countless homeless people, street gangs and god knows what else.

I turned around and got to the first taxi I found, and the guy simply laughed at me, no way was I going across that area by myself.

Finally found a driver who would take me, allbeit whilst laughing his head off, I could have clocked him with my walking stick.

Got to the Hotel door, and was immediately swamped by peopl asking for money, the concierge saw me and hurtled himself at the door and literally dragged me and my luggage inside.

Thanks small Asian person.

My room, stank, the carpet was dirty, the bathroom was dirty, no coffee in my room, had to go the foyer to get hot water, I decided to sleep on the top of the bed, I was not going to go deeper into it, I used my sarong as a sheet.

There were young people running up and down the corridors till all hours of the morning.

I had asked for late check out, willing to pay another night if necessary, however was told they were fully booked, which I found to be rather disconcerting, as I literally saw not one person in the place next morning.

The place is huge.

I did not want to be going all over LA following my rail journey, was going straight to the Airport the next day.

Lesson was learned, later this year I will be in a taxi going over the other side of the city closer to LAX and in better digs.

#24 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

Metro Plaza.....honest review..........I can do that. Stayed there overnight following Coastal Starlight journey, which was over an hour and a half late. Had intended to walk across the street as it seemed so simple.

Now I am a single elderly lady from Australia, and after venturing out into the street, I was confronted by countless homeless people, street gangs and god knows what else.

I turned around and got to the first taxi I found, and the guy simply laughed at me, no way was I going across that area by myself.

Finally found a driver who would take me, allbeit whilst laughing his head off, I could have clocked him with my walking stick.

Got to the Hotel door, and was immediately swamped by peopl asking for money, the concierge saw me and hurtled himself at the door and literally dragged me and my luggage inside.

Thanks small Asian person.

My room, stank, the carpet was dirty, the bathroom was dirty, no coffee in my room, had to go the foyer to get hot water, I decided to sleep on the top of the bed, I was not going to go deeper into it, I used my sarong as a sheet.

There were young people running up and down the corridors till all hours of the morning.

I had asked for late check out, willing to pay another night if necessary, however was told they were fully booked, which I found to be rather disconcerting, as I literally saw not one person in the place next morning.

The place is huge.

I did not want to be going all over LA following my rail journey, was going straight to the Airport the next day.

Lesson was learned, later this year I will be in a taxi going over the other side of the city closer to LAX and in better digs.

Tough story. A few times going into LA on the Coast Starlight, I had to catch my flight the very next morning. Did not waste time looking for a hotel, instead went straight to KLAX crashing on the chairs while waiting for my flight, and in hopes of getting a flight that night. It would be hard times had I missed my flight as my airline was KAL and was headed to RKSI, and the next flight would have been that night, and most likely those Trans-Pacifics were fully booked that week. However when I had a night to spend in LA earlier this year between the SW Chief and the Coast Starlight, I booked a hotel in East LA for this occasion, only a few minutes to the east by taxi. It was good that I did, as the owner had "No Vacancy" signage up the morning I checked in (although he let me check in at 11am, after I told him that I arrived minutes earlier from the train, and called the cab for me the next morning).

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#25 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:58 PM

Sure.  There are tons of tourist traps out there.  One I know of is the Ghirardelli Soda Fountain in San Francisco.  There are people lining up for up to an hour to get a table there.  And what they serve is basically just tubs of Dreyer's/Edy's ice cream like one can get cheap at a supermarket.  Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's kind of a touristy thing to do.

My dad did say that if I was there I should stop by Phillippe for the cheap coffee, which I heard went up in price.

14595777441_33c982ff8b.jpg by B H, on Flickr

Guilty here and proud of it! I still have an inch of fat on my waistline from the last visit.  :P

#26 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

Now I am a single elderly lady from Australia, and after venturing out into the street, I was confronted by countless homeless people, street gangs and god knows what else.  . . . .

Thank you for the information and am sorry for your awful experience.  All alone, perhaps close to 11pm in LA and maybe even the day before the welfare checks are handed out - and the homeless with no $ to get whatever keeps them going.  A dreadful situation indeed.   :o

P.S.:  Hop you posted a review on Trip Advisor or one of the other similar websites.

Edited by niemi24s, 20 April 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#27 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

I settled on Metro Plaza right across from LAUS for my overnight layover. Booked it on Expedia, and was told that I got one of the last few rooms, if not the last, and also was told that it was 88 per cent booked for my selected dates (check in July 12, 1 night only). I wonder as to what caused a full house for that day. Some kind of a conference, or people heading east by train needing to crash for a night? It seems as if when I get a question answered, another one pops up immediately, like what it happened now.

Edited by bmjhagen9426, 06 May 2017 - 01:13 PM.

Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Current Amtrak mileage: 20271 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users