• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:51 AM

I am looking to go to the Inland Empire by train for a business trip later this summer. The issue is, that coming from Oregon and heading to LA is easy, as I can just take the CS down to LA. However, the CS (assuming it's on time) arrives at 9pm, while Metrolink trains end service prior to that, which would require me to crash in LA for a night. Any good recommendations near LA Union Station?

Just a 23 year old college student who likes to travel by train.
Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Commuter/Transit Rail (US): Metra, TriMet, SoundTransit, Muni, LA MetroRail
Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, HUMETRO, METRO9
Ambus trips: BFD-LAX, EMY-SFC
Current Amtrak mileage: 17251 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#2 nshvlcat

nshvlcat

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Gardening

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:48 AM

Metro Plaza Hotel is across the street from Union Station, approx. 5 min. walk.  I am staying there in May.

If you have integrity, nothing else matters.  If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

#3 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,734 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:52 AM

Where about are you going?

I believe there are some Thruway buses that could connect from the SJ in BFD,
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#4 tomfuller

tomfuller

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Interests:Trains, geocaching, travel.

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

Coming from Oregon, the CS arrives in Sacramento at about 6:15AM. The bus to Stockton leaves SAC shortly after 8AM connecting to the SJ southbound. Where are you going in the Inland Empire?

#5 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

If you use TripAdvisor you'll be able to read 347 reviews of the Metro Plaza Hotel (mentioned by Nshvlcat) and see 304 photos of the property.  In addition, the map shows that no other hotel is closer to LAUS than the Metro Plaza and that the next closest is more than two times distant.   IMHO, asking where to stay on this forum is a waste of time because while you might get lots of replies, few (if any) will say what staying at the Metro Plaza is really like.  Reviews of some hotels are quite revealing, i.e., smelly room, lumpy mattress, street noise, bedbugs, police sirens at all hours of the night, no hot water, thin walls, vagrants loitering by the front door, kids running up & down the hall,  etc, etc, etc.

And you are probably no more knowledgeable of those 347 reviewers on TripAdvisor than you are of any who post here. 

Anyway, once you've decided on which hotel to use other mapping sites can show you how to get there:

Attached File  Map LAUS.jpg   105.26KB   18 downloads

Edited by niemi24s, 16 April 2017 - 07:58 AM.

#6 TiBike

TiBike

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Check out the hotels/motels around the Burbank station, which also happens to be the Burbank airport. Lots of options and sometimes cheap ones. Several have shuttles from the airport.

And yes, there are thruways that go from Bakersfield to Riverside and Berdoo.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#7 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts
  • Interests:Riding Trains Often!!

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:47 AM

If your going on a business trip and your company is paying expenses you might want to check out the double tree. It is about 5 minutes away using a taxi or lyft. Hilton is a good chain for rail travelers because you can earn Amtrak guest reward points as well as Hilton points.

#8 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,734 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

You don't necessarily have to use a taxi or ride share to get to that DoubleTree. They have shuttle pickup from Union Station if you call.:)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#9 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,820 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

If your going on a business trip and your company is paying expenses you might want to check out the double tree. It is about 5 minutes away using a taxi or lyft. Hilton is a good chain for rail travelers because you can earn Amtrak guest reward points as well as Hilton points.

I agree with Steve.  Last July, a group of us arrived after dark.  Several used ride sharing and others waited for the hotel shuttle.  In the daylight, I walked the less than a mile route to Union Station (even with luggage).  In my opinion, the Doubletree is a much nicer property than Metro Plaza (although I have not stayed at Metro Plaza, I looked inside the lobby).

Amtrak miles: 207,636; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean; Alaska Railroad Denali Star: 356 miles

#10 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:53 PM

To put a little perspective on the 348 hotels in LA, Trip Advisor was used to arrive at some rates and ratings (AAA rate, if available):

•  #1 (100%) was $722, the Bel-Air with 679 reviews

•  #58 (83%) was$215, the Doubletree with 1908 reviews

•  #139 (60%) was $134, the Metro Plaza with 348 reviews

No reason why the Doubletree shouldn't be much nicer than the Metro Plaza, but on the other hand there are 209 hotels in LA rated lower than the Metro Plaza.

Edited by niemi24s, 16 April 2017 - 02:54 PM.

#11 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

If you get the double tree for 200 or less it's a no brainer. Between 200 and 300, look at pictures in trip advisor and decide what's important.

#12 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:14 AM

I recently discovered that there are 2 daily Thruway buses from Fullerton to Riverside, Palm Springs and Indio - and back. You have to book a Surfliner with them. Palm Springs to LAX looks like about $20, 2 hours.

#13 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

If you get the double tree for 200 or less it's a no brainer. 

Let's see, that implies if I could have booked the Doubletree for less than $200 but decided to stay someplace else  I...uh...have no brains? :blink:

Edited by niemi24s, 17 April 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#14 maxbuskirk

maxbuskirk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:59 PM

Metrolink's San Bernardino Line operates well into the night, even on the weekends.

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#15 Steve4031

Steve4031

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

If you get the double tree for 200 or less it's a no brainer. 

Let's see, that implies if I could have booked the Doubletree for less than $200 but decided to stay someplace else  I...uh...have no brains? :blink:

No offense intended. I was comparing the double tree to the hotel across from union station. If both were similar rates the doubletree would be much nicer imho.

Obviously different people have different priorities when selecting hotels. I certainly did not intend to disrespect anybody. I was encouraging them to get the nicest hotel possible in that price range. I am a honors member and I value getting points so that Skews my values.

#16 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:27 PM

While the Doubletree is undoubtedly much nicer than the Metro Plaza regardless of their costs, the Metro Plazas proximity to Phillipe's restaurant (rated on Trip Advisor as #5 of the 8,310 restaurants in LA) might also enter into the picture.  Never been there, but some here have raved about it in the past.

But I can certainly understand the merit of accumulating hotel points.  I don't get out of my swamp very often and have never accumulated enough AGR points to make it worthwhile driving about 7 hours to my closest station - for a points run to the next station down the line.  Same  goes for hotel rewards points.  So I can see why it's a no brainer for you.  For me?  Not so much. 

Edited by niemi24s, 17 April 2017 - 09:29 PM.

#17 TiBike

TiBike

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:10 AM

If the Coast Starlight is on time, you can get to Berdoo but not Riverside. And that's a big if. But it works so long as Plan B is to stay in downtown LA. Actually, I'd make that Plan C -- Plan B would be to bail out early somewhere interesting on the Surfliner route -- SLO, Santa Barbara or Ventura, or Burbank if it was a close call -- and take a Surfliner or Metrolink in the morning.

Metrolink's San Bernardino Line operates well into the night, even on the weekends.

Coast Starlight • California Zephyr • Crescent • Lake Shore Limited • San Joaquin • Capitol Corridor • Pacific Surfliner

Shinkansen • TranzAlpine (NZ) • Northern Explorer (NZ) • Coastal Pacific (NZ) • Great Southern Rail Overland (Oz) • Tze-Chiang Limited (ROC) • Thello Venice-Paris

#18 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

After looking through the TA and Yelp pictures and reviews for Metro Plaza Hotel, I say go with the Double Tree or take the Red/Purple line to 7th / Metro where there is a Sheraton. Between discounts such as AAA or SPG Members specials, you can get a night at the Sheraton for $200 or less.

#19 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:12 AM

While the Doubletree is undoubtedly much nicer than the Metro Plaza regardless of their costs, the Metro Plazas proximity to Phillipe's restaurant (rated on Trip Advisor as #5 of the 8,310 restaurants in LA) might also enter into the picture.  Never been there, but some here have raved about it in the past.

But I can certainly understand the merit of accumulating hotel points.  I don't get out of my swamp very often and have never accumulated enough AGR points to make it worthwhile driving about 7 hours to my closest station - for a points run to the next station down the line.  Same  goes for hotel rewards points.  So I can see why it's a no brainer for you.  For me?  Not so much. 

Personally, I think Philipe's is not worth staying at a not so good hotel to be closer to it. My pictures and review of it is here: http://seat38a.com/dinner-at-philippe-los-angeles-before-heading-to-lax/ 

Maybe it is because I grew up in LA and ate here often but I would take a better hotel over staying walking distance to eat there.

#20 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

Unless it's been edited, your only comment regarding the food (review) was  "Nothing has changed except their mustard seemed to be much less volatile than I remember it used to be."  My thought is that it must have something going for to be rated #5 of the 8310 restaurants in LA based on 1,600+ reviews on Trip Advisor.   Plan to find out for myself in about 10 days.  The Metro Plaza certainly isn't swanky but looked good enough for me, so I booked it.  The wife & I have stayed in some genuine dumps over the years.  It'll do.

Edited by niemi24s, 19 April 2017 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users