Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

AGR II

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:39 PM

I'll be connecting in Chicago to the EB #27 (AGR). A friend may hop on with me in Chicago & share my roomette to PDX. What will he be charged & how do we book it?

Thanx

RF

Edited by Rail Freak, 14 April 2017 - 04:42 PM.

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#2 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,365 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

Have him book an open sleeper.  He'll only have to pay the lowest rail fare.  

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:59 AM

Have him book an open sleeper.  He'll only have to pay the lowest rail fare.

I believe all sleeper occupants have to pay at least a "Value" level fare even if "Saver" is active and available for those dates and times.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#4 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:26 AM

I'm pretty sure you are correct, it is lowest "regular" fare which would be value not saver, but "regular" discounts like AAA, NARP and Military can be applied to the rail fare (not the accommodation)

#5 Rail Freak

Rail Freak

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts
  • Interests:Experiencing the country by RAIL!!!
    U.S. & Native American History

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Will he be entitled to meals?

A Rookie No More! But Still A Lot Of Track To Travel !!!
Silver Meteor #97(6) & #98 (4), Silver Star #91 (2), Capitol Limited #29 & #30(6), Empire Builder #7,#8,#27(2) &#28(4) Coast Starlight #11 (6) & #14(5), California Zephyr #5 (2) & #6 (5), Cascades #506, City of New Orleans #58, #59 (2), South West Chief #3 (4), Lake Shore Limited #49, Maple Leaf #63, San Joaquin #714, Pacific Surfliner #774, Texas Eagle #422 (2), Cardinal #50, Crescent #19, Sunset Limited #1. Approx. 60,169 miles & 41 states!

HAVE FUN

#6 RRRick

RRRick

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:Transportation history,

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

Will he be entitled to meals?

Yes.

#7 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

That's what makes sleepers a much better value for more than one traveler- individuals pay the rail fare, but the space is only one charge, and it adds the meals for all occupants.

#8 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,092 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

Make sure he gets an open sleeper ticket (NOT just a coach ticket!) and associates it with your reservation. That way meals will be included!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#9 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

Is anyone positive that you can mix reservations like that, i.e. an AGR ticket and then a regular revenue ticket associated with it in that manner? Has anyone actually done it? I will be surprised! Especially since with AGR2 the second person on a sleeper redemption is not free! That was a change that people belly-ached about loudly and longly.

Edited by City of Miami, 15 April 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#10 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,092 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:48 PM

I haven't done it, but I made a reservation and told the AGR agent that I may have a 2nd person join me. The agent said to call and it will be no problem! (My friend could not make it.)
Take it easy .......

#11 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

Yes. You have to make sure the agent you talk to has *heard* of an "open sleeper ticket". Some of them haven't been trained properly on it.

If they haven't heard of an "open sleeper", get them to get their supervisor, or hang up and call back.
--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#12 Poindexter118

Poindexter118

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:58 AM

I have built quite a few points on the Amtrak guest rewards credit card.   Is it easy to cash in those points?  This will be my first trip since accumulating those points.

#13 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,092 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

It's very easy!:)

For Amtrak travel, you can use them booking online. Just book normally, but at the top of the "select trains" screen, there are 2 choices (dollars or points). Chose points, and it will show you how many points you need.

However, if you book on line, the computer assigns the room. If you want a specific room (like #2, #7 or #11, call an AGR agent @ 1-800-307-5000 to book.

It's no problem at all!
Take it easy .......

#14 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,760 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:28 AM

Is anyone positive that you can mix reservations like that, i.e. an AGR ticket and then a regular revenue ticket associated with it in that manner? Has anyone actually done it? I will be surprised! Especially since with AGR2 the second person on a sleeper redemption is not free! That was a change that people belly-ached about loudly and longly.

Yes. I have done that successfully in the past to bring along a fellow participant at the last minute who had a Coach ticket, onto an award Sleeper accommodation during an OTOL or AU gethering, I forget which.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users