United Airlines comment re Amtrak:

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak's own Police aren't doing all that great either.

Last night, Amtrak Police Tasered a "disruptive" man in an overcrowded train station, directly causing a stampede of people fleeing the scene. People screamed and ran, leaving the station strewn with abandoned bags.

Though I’ve personally encountered rather surly Amtrak Police at NYP; in their defense, the person they were attempting to subdue required an escalation of force and so they deployed a taser on him. It was because the firing of that taser sounded like a gunshot that people panicked and dropped everything, including meals they were eating and in one case, a cell phone. This had a ripple effect all the way to Herald Square and Macy’s, where people also reported gunfire (false occurrence).

I’m not sure what their response should have been, otherwise. Hand the dude a Pepsi and hope he smiles in appreciation and calms right down? I guess they could use a different type of taser that was silent, but would also probably require device-to-skin contact, which can be problematic in developing situations. In days gone by, they would have used batons and just started whaling on him. The ultimate solution, of course, is to deploy an actual firearm inside a populated building. That would definitely sound like a gunshot and could have unintended consequences as well (‘collateral damage’). Given all the crazy people doing crazy things in places like New York, I would tend to trust their judgment in a location like Penn Station. Also, the video I saw had the perpetrator in handcuffs walking with officers, so he wasn’t harmed. The only issue seems to be the acoustics in the building that make a non-lethal device sound like a very lethal one to a number of people.

Though I’ve personally encountered rather surly Amtrak Police at NYP; in their defense, the person they were attempting to subdue required an escalation of force and so they deployed a taser on him. It was because the firing of that taser sounded like a gunshot that people panicked and dropped everything, including meals they were eating and in one case, a cell phone. This had a ripple effect all the way to Herald Square and Macy’s, where people also reported gunfire (false occurrence).

I’m not sure what their response should have been, otherwise. Hand the dude a Pepsi and hope he smiles in appreciation and calms right down? I guess they could use a different type of taser that was silent, but would also probably require device-to-skin contact, which can be problematic in developing situations. In days gone by, they would have used batons and just started whaling on him. The ultimate solution, of course, is to deploy an actual firearm inside a populated building. That would definitely sound like a gunshot and could have unintended consequences as well (‘collateral damage’). Given all the crazy people doing crazy things in places like New York, I would tend to trust their judgment in a location like Penn Station. Also, the video I saw had the perpetrator in handcuffs walking with officers, so he wasn’t harmed. The only issue seems to be the acoustics in the building that make a non-lethal device sound like a very lethal one to a number of people.
A good balanced response....

The police are (perhaps deservedly) under an intense microscope, and often in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, that is always easy to second guess after the fact, by those who have no idea of what it's like to be in their shoes....

From what I've seen of the NEC police, they generally act like professional's in their relation's with the public, often under high stress....

One of the problems is that NYP is so damn *crowded*.

On the whole police shouldn't be using guns, tasers, OR batons. But the standard method for subduing a disruptive person with unarmed police without injuring anyone.... requires an awful lot of open space, which simply isn't present at NYP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back