45-minute connection between VIA Rail Ocean & Adirondack- doable?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joseph Schneider

Hello. I'm planning a train trip from Halifax to New York in mid-May, and I see that the Montreal-bound Ocean arrives in St-Lambert at 9:50 AM, and the southbound Adirondack departs at 10:35 AM. I know it's not a big station (really just two concrete platforms- should take a minute or two at worst to cross between them), but the real question is if the Ocean is reliable enough that I won't miss the southbound Adirondack?

A friend of mine made this connection a few years ago. IMHO it's tighter than I'd really be comfortable with; I think the question is whether you're comfortable taking, say, a 10-25% chance (I suspect the OTP is worse in winter, but that's a guess and not gospel) of having a day added to your trip (or having to buy a last-minute ticket out of YUL).

Edit: VIA defines "on-time" as within 60 minutes for the Ocean. Note, however, that for February on that standard the WB Ocean had a 100% OTP rate (though that could obviously still include trains which were, say, 50 minutes late and would make you miss your connection).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Ocean has a pretty good OTP….but the old adage: The train could be on time every day for a month but the one day you ride anything could happen! Throughout the trip you will constantly checking the time and schedule. It will ruin your trip.

Don’t risk it. Spend the day in Montreal. There’s lots to do. For example....I arrived in Montreal a couple of weeks ago on the Ocean at 10am and had plenty of time to take two round trips on AMT commuter trains: To Mascouche on the line through the Mount Royal Tunnel using the ALP45 duel Electric – Diesel locomotives....then a 130km round trip out to St. Jerome and back.

On the flip side, I was waiting to point out the Adirondack when pulling in on The Ocean, to my husband last Wednesday. Didn't happen. We arrived I think two minutes before its departure.

A couple of weeks ago I was in the Park Car on the eastbound Ocean and we met the northbound Adirondack on the Victoria Bridge. That night a connection to the Ocean would have been possible at St. Lambert if you were heading to Halifax....but I certainly wouldnt have risked it!!

When the Pre-Clearance facility opens in Central Station, the Adirondack will no longer stop in St. Lambert in either direction.

20170326_191048.jpg

20170326_191110.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back