8 replies to this topic

#1 crescent2

crescent2

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:38 PM

I was reading a thread on Alpine TX, and the Holland Hotel, got interested and then did a "what if" check on amtrak.com. (Yes, I have lots of spare time!)

Alpine to NOL shows two options:

The Sunset Limited straight through to NOL.

The Sunset Limited to SAS, and transfer (hour and a half layover) to the Sunset Limited in SAS to NOL.

Both options leave Alpine at the same time and date and both get to New Orleans at the same time and date, so it has to be the same train (SL). The one with the transfer in San Antonio is a little more expensive.  The date I plugged in was March 8, 2018, arriving in NOL on the 9th.

Why would it offer a transfer to the same train one was already on?  What would be a reason to do that?  I'm guessing it would be to a different car, but...transfer to the train you were already on?  IIRC, the SL does something with part of another train, but still.  Every option says only "Sunset Limited."

I know things about our beloved Amtrak sometimes don't make sense, but someone please explain the above to me.  Just curious!

#2 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

Are the numbers the same? The portion of the Sunset Limited west of San Antonio is also the Texas Eagle. Amtrak's reservations consider them two separate trains, SL #1 and TE #421 (#21 terminates in SAS).

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

#3 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,596 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

THE Sunset Ltd #2 runs from LAX-NOL 3 times a week.

Attached to the back are 2 thru cars (Coach and,Sleeper) for the Texas Eagle #22 from San Antonio to Chicago.They are shown as Train #422 due to Limitations on Amtraks,web site.

If you ride in a #2 Car (Sleeper or Coach) from LAX-SAS you have to detrain in SAS and reboard the Texas Eagle #22/#422 @645am for the trip to CHI after waiting in the small,uncomfortable Amshak.

If you book Train #422 from LAX-CHI you can stay aboard during the layover and switching, but you will be on the tail end of the train to CHI and have the long walk to the Diner and SSL.

#422 is usually more expensive than #2/#22 to keep rooms open for thru passengers, but there are exceptions. Between SAS and CHI I book whichever is cheaper.

(SAME for the #21/#421 SB from CHI-SAS-LAX.)

Edited by Bob Dylan, 12 April 2017 - 05:59 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#4 crescent2

crescent2

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:07 PM

Thanks, guys, but I'm still wondering.  

Yes, it is the #2 Sunset Limited.  No mention of any other train number or name.  (The Texas Eagle was the thing I was recalling, but there is no mention of the Texas Eagle or any other train numbers.)  All options say "2 Sunset Limited."  I took a screenshot but can't get it to upload.

And I wasn't going to Chicago, Jim-Bob.  I was coming through to the Big Easy!  

It really does show a transfer from "2 Sunset Limited" to the "2 Sunset Limited."  ???

#5 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,098 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

This is the best I could do for a "screenshot".  Strange that it shows 2 twice.  Probably a computer glitch.

$90.00 $112.00 $216.00 $281.00
8:45pm - 9:40pm (Mar 9)
24 hr, 55 min

$90.00 $112.00 $216.00 $323.00
8:45pm - 4:50am (Mar 9)
8 hr, 5 min

TRANSFER - SAS (1 hr, 35 min)
6:25am - 9:40pm
15 hr, 15 min

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#6 crescent2

crescent2

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

Thanks, AmtrakBlue.  A glitch sounds like the best answer!

#7 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,720 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

That sure look like a glitch!

I could understand 422 to SAS and 2 from SAS. But not 2 to 2!
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#8 maxbuskirk

maxbuskirk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:56 AM

We have put 2 and 2 together. :)

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#9 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,720 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

And get 22?:huh: :giggle:
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users