Photo

National Dining Car Specials/New Menus (April '17)

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#41 zepherdude

zepherdude

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:I love Amtrak, the old Illinois Central and RR nostalgia dayz. I would live on a train if I could. Down with airplanes! Up with Passenger Trains!

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

Love the fact that in this thread entitled "National Dining Car Specials/New Menus (April '17)" we're up to post #40 and NO ONE has actually sampled any of said specials or has any personal first hand information to report about them.

Seems like most of the convo is about ice.

But do carry on. Imho this is a hoot.

We get side tracked sometimes! The menu does look  pretty good. But I liked the last one too! I don't care about ice and I am easy going!

I have traveled, Acela, Maple Leaf, California Zephr, Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Amtrak California, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, City of Miami, The Seminole, Florida East Coast and the Panama Limited, Texan Dinner Train, Wabash Canon Ball, New York Subway, Metro North, LIRR, San Francisco Cable Cars, Market Streetcar, St. Louis Streetcars, Prague Trams, (Prazske Tramvaje), Moscow Subway, (Московский метрополитен,) Krakow Glowny, Krakow Plaszow

>>>>>>> Why let your trip fail, always ride the Amtrak Rail! <<<<<<

#42 DooBdoo

DooBdoo

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:40 PM

MODERATOR NOTE:  THIS TOPIC (regarding new menu and new diner on Silver Meteor) WAS MERGED WITH THE EXISTING TOPIC REGARDING NEW NATIONAL MENU.  

Quesadillas- excellent...
Signature dessert - meh.

Steak and Shrimp - superlative!
Lemon tart - very tart!!! Delicious.

Staff asking " How was it? What did you think?"

Attached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223841.607601.jpg   71.62KB   45 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223860.898249.jpg   95.03KB   42 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223971.224913.jpg   92.64KB   42 downloads

Edited by pennyk, 14 April 2017 - 09:48 PM.

#43 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

Glad to hear on the Lemon Tart... I may not like the seafood and pasta options... But a veggie burger and lemon tart can make a fine dinner! Ha.

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#44 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:02 PM

MODERATOR NOTE:  THIS TOPIC (regarding new menu and new diner on Silver Meteor) WAS MERGED WITH THE EXISTING TOPIC REGARDING NEW NATIONAL MENU.  

Quesadillas- excellent...
Signature dessert - meh.

Steak and Shrimp - superlative!
Lemon tart - very tart!!! Delicious.

Staff asking " How was it? What did you think?"

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223841.607601.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223860.898249.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223971.224913.jpg

It sounds like even the staff are excited about the new menu.

#45 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

Just realized that except for 1 or 2 trains, the ice cream is not a dessert option anymore. As far as I can remember, there has always been ice cream, but at the same time, since they replaced it with the blue bunny crap, I won't miss it.

#46 Chessie

Chessie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:28 PM

Granted I am far from a foodie but the menu looks more than adequate to me.   :)

So am I right to assume the items are the same on all LD trains and if I book a sleeper they are all included?  

Edited by Longhai, 14 April 2017 - 11:37 PM.

#47 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,887 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:49 AM

So ice is not always obtainable?

Self service ice used to be available around the clock on most of my trips. Then some rule or regulation or enforcement changed and now it's not nearly as simple. Sometimes the SCA will get ice for you. Some SCA's are quick and other SCA's will get to it if and when they feel like it. Some SCA's will simply tell you to go get it yourself. Depending on the staff for that particular train this could potentially mean having to buy something from the snack car or having the dining car tell you that the SCA is supposed to handle it.

Apparently some people have had trouble at some times because it wasn't immediately available, and they did not wish to wait.

On most of my trips between 10pm and 6-7am there is no ice availability whatsoever. Maybe it's just me but 8+ hours seems like an extended delay for something that was previously available nearly all the time. I know many forum members bring lots of luggage including coolers and such but my trips tend to involve at least one flight and that means I cannot bring igloos and kitchen sinks on most of my trips.

Just realized that except for 1 or 2 trains, the ice cream is not a dessert option anymore. As far as I can remember, there has always been ice cream, but at the same time, since they replaced it with the blue bunny crap, I won't miss it.

Yeah, I stopped caring once they replaced the ice cream with Blue Bunny brand cool whip balls.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 15 April 2017 - 04:30 AM.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#48 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:47 AM

Granted I am far from a foodie but the menu looks more than adequate to me.   :)

So am I right to assume the items are the same on all LD trains and if I book a sleeper they are all included?  

The notable exceptions being The Cardinal, The City of New Orleans, and the Lake Shore Limited.

The Lake Shore continues to run without a full diner, but has a more complete menu than The Cardinal, or City, which continue with their limited offerings.

https://www.amtrak.c...Menu-111516.pdf

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#49 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

It wouldn't surprise me to find that the attitude of [most of] the staff is, "Give us something decent to work with and we'll run with it!"

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#50 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

It wouldn't surprise me to find that the attitude of [most of] the staff is, "Give us something decent to work with and we'll run with it!"

What makes this menu more "decent" than the past several? It's all the same stuff...

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

#51 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

Oh... on a closer look I do see that the Asian Stir Fry is possibly a good Vegetarian option... I assumed it was the same Amy's microwave dinner that Amtrak serves as "Healthy Choice."  So while I still think they should have a non-shellfish fish entree', if the Stir Fry takes the place of the Vegetarian Pasta my previous comments are not quite as harsh. 

#52 Chessie

Chessie

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:46 PM

So ice is not always obtainable?

Self service ice used to be available around the clock on most of my trips. Then some rule or regulation or enforcement changed and now it's not nearly as simple. Sometimes the SCA will get ice for you. Some SCA's are quick and other SCA's will get to it if and when they feel like it. Some SCA's will simply tell you to go get it yourself. Depending on the staff for that particular train this could potentially mean having to buy something from the snack car or having the dining car tell you that the SCA is supposed to handle it.

That is indeed unfortunate.  

The notable exceptions being The Cardinal, The City of New Orleans, and the Lake Shore Limited.

The Lake Shore continues to run without a full diner, but has a more complete menu than The Cardinal, or City, which continue with their limited offerings.

https://www.amtrak.c...Menu-111516.pdf

Thanks!  How about the Silver Star?  Did it regain the full diner now?  

#53 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:48 PM

Regulations being enforced is not a problem, but non responsive staff is. As long as they aren't doing anything else, or on a break, they should be attending to passengers needs. If they are on a break, they should let people know politely. Overnight hours I have mixed feelings about, 10PM is a little early for a cutoff, but at a certain point, staff is entitled to sleep.

#54 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

... BTW, anyone know when those long delayed dining cars will be delivered?

Are we there yet?

LOL.

When we get solid reports of the next batch of Viewliners, we'll be awakened by sirens and clanging church bells all over this site.

#55 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

... BTW, anyone know when those long delayed dining cars will be delivered?

Are we there yet?

LOL.

When we get solid reports of the next batch of Viewliners, we'll be awakened by sirens and clanging church bells all over this site.

Sometimes I think that we are more likely to hear Gabriel's horn than see a dozen completed Viewliner II sleepers from CAF....

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#56 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

Just got off the CZ yesterday and we had the new menu I had the seared shrimp and the pork slider's. I really liked both. Disappointed still no ice cream.

#57 Train2104

Train2104

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

Just saw this thread...interesting. Comparing the menu with my Zephyr ride a year ago:

Breakfast looks like the same thing just with puffed up phrasing and the added egg bowl.

Lunch - I liked the original chicken salad, it was great since you were sitting on the train all day. I'm not sure I'd go for this "Southwestern" version with guacamole though. And it's probably preprepared so you can't ask for it without it. 

Dinner - Better the ACAT chef stuff than the supermarket TV dinners, although that still seems to be on the menu. The shrimp looks like an interesting choice, and the $36 combo looks like it costs Amtrak nothing in terms of space since it's the same ingredients as the steak and the shrimp entrees separately. Accounting gimmick it is.

I notice the note about lunch items being available for dinner is no more.

No more ice cream?

Edited by Train2104, 15 April 2017 - 05:50 PM.

#58 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

Oh... on a closer look I do see that the Asian Stir Fry is possibly a good Vegetarian option... I assumed it was the same Amy's microwave dinner that Amtrak serves as "Healthy Choice."  So while I still think they should have a non-shellfish fish entree', if the Stir Fry takes the place of the Vegetarian Pasta my previous comments are not quite as harsh. 

We get it, your upset about the fish. Can you let it go already or are you going to point out the lack of fish every time you respond?

#59 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

We get it, your upset about the fish. Can you let it go already or are you going to point out the lack of fish every time you respond?
Umm... It would appear that you are more bothered by me mentioning fish than I am about the fish missing from the menu. Oops... I mentioned it again.

Perhaps Amtrak could serve salmon ice cream and satisfy both me and all of those who miss the ice cream! :)

Edited by crescent-zephyr, 15 April 2017 - 07:05 PM.

#60 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

Just saw this thread...interesting. Comparing the menu with my Zephyr ride a year ago:

Breakfast looks like the same thing just with puffed up phrasing and the added egg bowl.

Lunch - I liked the original chicken salad, it was great since you were sitting on the train all day. I'm not sure I'd go for this "Southwestern" version with guacamole though. And it's probably preprepared so you can't ask for it without it. 

Dinner - Better the ACAT chef stuff than the supermarket TV dinners, although that still seems to be on the menu. The shrimp looks like an interesting choice, and the $36 combo looks like it costs Amtrak nothing in terms of space since it's the same ingredients as the steak and the shrimp entrees separately. Accounting gimmick it is.

I notice the note about lunch items being available for dinner is no more.

No more ice cream?

The guacamole is provisioned separately, so presumably could be served without and/or on the side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users