Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

National Dining Car Specials/New Menus (April '17)

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#1 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

I'm booked next month for a 5000 mile Amtrak train ride.

What have they recently been offering as Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner specials.

Do I remember right that they often make menu changes at the end of April?

Edited by KmH, 12 April 2017 - 04:32 PM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#2 KnightRail

KnightRail

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:02 PM

Do I remember right that they often make menu changes at the end of April?

Actually, today is the day.

#3 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

All of the new info are up on http://www.amtrakfoodfacts.com/. Not sure about the taste but the items seem to be an improvement. Now they have shrimp and steak entree. The lemon tart looks good in the photo.

#4 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

All of the new info are up on http://www.amtrakfoodfacts.com/. Not sure about the taste but the items seem to be an improvement. Now they have shrimp and steak entree. The lemon tart looks good in the photo.

I just checked out the items for my next Amtrak journey on the Empire Builder and am very pleased with what I saw being offered.  The photos of the items looked good.  And, I am really glad that Railroad French Toast will still be offered for Breakfast.  I agree that the lemon tart is a dessert that ought to be tried.

#5 Palmland

Palmland

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Transportation, Model RR, Exploring the U.S., First class rail travel

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

Is the link to menus current? It shows the Signature Steak on the Silver Star- which has only a cafe car.

#6 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

It appears (based on the three I checked) the menus here have also been updated this month...  https://www.amtrak.c...d=1241305537990  ...and there's no menu shown for the Silver Star.

Edited by niemi24s, 12 April 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#7 OlympianHiawatha

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

These look like some of the best menu offerings in several years-just hope the quality of the chow is as good as the description.

#8 Blackwolf

Blackwolf

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • Interests:Public Safety, passenger rail, travel, hunting, fishing

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:37 PM

What a difference a month makes. Wish I had this menu back in March, looks like substantial improvement over the old menu.

Amtrak
Capitol Corridor (too many times to count!); Coast Starlight (x21); California Zephyr (x7); Empire Builder (x2); Lake Shore Limited (x4); Maple Leaf (x1); Adirondack (x2); Cascades (x1); Pacific Surfliner (x6); San Joaquin (x8); Capitol Limited (x1); Cardinal (x2); Acela (x1)
VIA Rail
Ocean (x4); Windsor Corridor (x2); The Canadian (x1)

#9 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:01 AM

Looks like the Chef Inspired meals are making a comeback of some sort. If they're as tasty as the ones that were previously featured in years past this could be a good sign for improving culinary standards in the future.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#10 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,236 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:22 AM

Oh my God that looks good...I'm actually suddenly tempted to run up to DC and back to try out one of these menu items.  (If the Meteor hadn't been sold out SB for today as of last night, I would've likely been on it today on a "stress relief run").

The "Field and Sea" combo not only sounds delicious, it's also the cagiest accounting gambit I've seen from F&B since...pretty much ever.  I doubt the dish costs $11 more than "just" the steak but they've just managed to probably pull another few hundred grand or so out of the sleeper account.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#11 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:41 AM

I was starting to develop a hankering for some rail related travel and this change in the menu might be enough to get me off high center. The new menus aren't perfect. Most of the meals are duplicated across routes, most of the meat is still precooked, and several items that would benefit massively from fresh preparation (such as salsa and guacamole) are stocked as generic pantry knockoffs instead. That being said, the previous chef inspired meals were precooked and reheated and still tasted good anyway. I managed to find several items that looked interesting enough to try on my next trip. No guarantee I'll like any of them but I'm willing to give them a shot.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#12 Larry H.

Larry H.

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

I was starting to develop a hankering for some rail related travel and this change in the menu might be enough to get me off high center. The new menus aren't perfect. Most of the meals are duplicated across routes, most of the meat is still precooked, and several items that would benefit massively from fresh preparation (such as salsa and guacamole) are stocked as generic pantry knockoffs instead. That being said, the previous chef inspired meals were precooked and reheated and still tasted good anyway. I managed to find several items that looked interesting enough to try on my next trip. No guarantee I'll like any of them but I'm willing to give them a shot.

Agreed, the food service is one of the most enjoyable parts of the trips so long as its made decently.  I hope they get their acts together. I wrote my congressman the other day about the proposed elimination of the long distance trains an mentioned the folly of having almost no decent food service on board. 

#13 Johanna

Johanna

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

From my (vegetarian) point of view, my only complaint is that the two meatless dinner options - the "vegetarian Asian noodle bowl" and the "healthy choice: Chinese rice noodles with veggies & cashew sauce" - look very similar.  If they're going to drop from stocking two "healthy choices" to just one, you'd think they could pick one that offers some contrast to what's already on the menu.

Other than that, it looks good.  The southwestern lunch salad looks nice and substantial, and I like the option to get guacamole on the veggie burger.  I'm looking forward to trying these on my trip on the EB in a few weeks.

The $36 surf and turf worries me, though - I hope we don't see too much of a spike in sleeper fares to cover this "cost."

#14 denmarks

denmarks

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Interests:Computers and Travel

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

I just looked at the new menu for the CZ menu and it looks good. I just want to verify what comes with a sleeper.

I assume you can have any single entree on the menu. That includes the new Field & Sea Combo for $36. Dinner comes with a salad and roll. You can order a single side for breakfast.

Do you also get any desert and a beverage (non alcoholic)?

https://www.amtrak.c...r-Menu-0417.pdf

Dennis M. Marks
28,286 miles on Amtrak

#15 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,303 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

Yep, your non-alchol beverages, including juice,coffee and a breakfast meat with Breakfast are included, as are non-alcohol drinks and deserts with Lunch and Dinner meals.

Edited by Bob Dylan, 13 April 2017 - 03:14 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#16 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:44 PM

In the past we had to ask for the salad, and the salad is also included at lunch.

At breakfast I always get orange juice & coffee.

At lunch I have sometimes had 2 servings of soft drinks.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#17 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

A step in the right direction. As Wick Moorman has said the food (dining car) is an integral part of the service. Now please bring back the ice in the sleepers and the 50 cent rose on the dinner table. BTW,anyone know when those long delayed dining cars will be delivered?

#18 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography, reading. And any combination thereof. :)

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:55 PM

Oh boy. :rolleyes: There IS ice in the sleepers, for crying out loud in the morning. All you have to do is ask the SCA. And I have had occasions, mainly on the eastern sleepers, where ice was out and available. No need to ask.
Amtrak miles traveled: 85410
Pre-Amtrak miles traveled:8478
Bustitution miles traveled:450
States traveled through on Amtrak: 44

#19 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:33 PM

Step in the wrong direction to me...  the pasta dish is no longer vegetarian so that's one less veggie option. There is no actual fish entree... just the Shrimp. Lots of people eat fish but not shellfish for a variety of reasons. I'm not really sure what I would order on the new menu.... honestly I would probably get a veggie burger for dinner, I may try the shrimp but I doubt I will think it's good enough to want to order it again. 

On the previous menu the Cod and the Pasta were pretty good. 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#20 bretton88

bretton88

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:03 PM

Step in the wrong direction to me...  the pasta dish is no longer vegetarian so that's one less veggie option. There is no actual fish entree... just the Shrimp. Lots of people eat fish but not shellfish for a variety of reasons. I'm not really sure what I would order on the new menu.... honestly I would probably get a veggie burger for dinner, I may try the shrimp but I doubt I will think it's good enough to want to order it again. 

On the previous menu the Cod and the Pasta were pretty good. 

I may not love surf n turf, but it's definitely seen as a higher end option, so it's definitely an overall step in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If I won the lottery, I'd probably build a passenger from nowhere to nowhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users