• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 siena1965

siena1965

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

does anyone know is there a limit to the amount of points that u can save up in ur Amtrak guest rewards account.

#2 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,887 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

So far as I am aware, and so long as you complete at least one paid travel segment on Amtrak every couple years, the destination account itself can hold a nearly unlimited number of points.  Perhaps you intended to ask about a specific earning method instead of the destination account?

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#3 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,853 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

I don't think that there is a maximum amount of points you can have in your account - unless it's something like 10,000,000! However I've never had that much!:)
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#4 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

So far as I am aware, and so long as you complete at least one paid travel segment on Amtrak every couple years, the destination account itself can hold a nearly unlimited number of points.  Perhaps you intended to ask about a specific earning method instead of the destination account?

And if you have the BofA AGR credit card, you don't even need to take a trip to keep the points active.

John...

22,913 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

6489 more miles booked

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#5 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,579 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

Accounts now remain active with any points activity, not just Amtrak travel, and not just transactions that add points. One retail purchase credit, points from the credit card, a hotel credit, an outbound transfer, an Amtrak redemption - anything that changes your point total up or down will reset the 36 month clock. There is no limit to the number of points in an account.

#6 siena1965

siena1965

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:55 PM

thanks I have the boa credit card and use it every month I am saving all my points for when I retire in 8 yrs

#7 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

Just be aware that Amtrak can effectively devalue your saved points at some point over the next eight years by changing the program provisions. If you're willing to take that risk, fine.

#8 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

Just be aware that Amtrak can effectively devalue your saved points at some point over the next eight years by changing the program provisions. If you're willing to take that risk, fine.

I agree. I'd use the points and put aside the cash (which will depreciate in value too) into some safe investments. If the cash devaluates on Amtrak (i.e. prices go up), then so will points. If the points needed go up (Amtrak values them at 2.5 cents), that doesn't mean the cash is devalued.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users