Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

DC to Baltimore MagLev one step closer to approval?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,216 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:11 AM

Amtrak sure isn't going to let them use any right of way as competition.

Why not?

If things reach the point that this will be built anyway, Amtrak would be affected no matter what. So it would make sense for Amtrak to have part of the cake.

If they're smart they won't settle for a one off payment but seek to get a share of the ongoing profits. That way they've hedged their liabilities and win whether the project is a success or not.

Also, at least in the case of Union Station it isn't quite clear whether Amtrak could lock them out.

That being said, Amtrak has a tendency to keep their parochial interests in mind first and foremost (e.g. they won't sell slots on the NEC).

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#22 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:39 PM

How much would Maryland have to pay Amtrak to have Amtrak honor MARC tickets on the Acela Express?  I bet it's a lot less than paying for a maglev line, and it would result in an immediate 30-minute ride between the two cities for commuters. 

#23 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,962 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:51 PM

Or Maryland could simply run their own 125mph capable trains express to achieve something close to that and charge whatever they feel is appropriate today (or well soon, as soon as they get their Chargers and/or rebuilt HHP-8s on line).

Soon it will not be upto Amtrak to decide who they sell slots to. It will be upto the NEC Commission on the Board of which each state that is a stakeholder has a seat. Amtrak will be beholden to this august body for all its capital funding for improvements and capital maintenance.

Edited by jis, 08 May 2017 - 10:04 AM.

#24 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

Atlanta to Asheville would be a much more practical solution - for me :giggle:

#25 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,216 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:59 PM

Or Maryland could simply run their own 125mph capable trains express to achieve something close to that and charge whatever they feel is appropriate today (or well soon, as soon as they get their Chargers on line.

Soon it will not be upto Amtrak to decide who they sell slots to. It will be upto the NEC Commission on the Board of which each state that is a stakeholder has a seat. Amtrak will be beholden to this august body for all its capital funding for improvements and capital maintenance.

Part of the problem with this is that at least some of that is going to be redundant with existing service.  Amtrak runs 37x daily trains WAS-BAL while MARC runs another 28x.  By the way, MARC does run a single non-stop between WAS and BAL (train 408).  It takes 37 minutes: Faster than the fastest Regionals and about 5 minutes slower than the slowest Acelas.

Setting the Acela aside, given that Amtrak operates Penn Line MARC service I'd put the onus on them for not approaching Maryland for a broader step-up service on weekends, for example.  Alternatively, if Amtrak is concerned about their own capacity, I have to wonder why they don't cross-list some MARC trains in their timetables as Thruway services?  VIA and GO do this around Toronto, for example...

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#26 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

All this talk of new technology when we can't even fully exploit 1960's technology.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users