Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

AGR card application finally accepted!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

I have applied for the World MasterCard five times since September of 2015, finally was accepted.
For some reason my credit score was raised, don't really know why, but not complaining!
I am wondering if points can be earned by using the card for such expenses as rent, utilities, etc., or only for more normal retail types of purchases like groceries, travel, restaurants etc.?

#2 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

Anything you can use a MasterCard to pay for will earn points. I do not pay my rent or electric with it because of the fee charged for using a credit card by my landlord and by the utility company. :(

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:02 PM

Anything you can use a MasterCard to pay for will earn points. I do not pay my rent or electric with it because of the fee charged for using a credit card by my landlord and by the utility company. :(

I think that would be true in my case also, but I am thinking that it still might be worth trying. I will have to do the math to see if I would come out ahead. If nothing else, I have a $320.00 storage unit charge that I pay with a different card that I can switch without any fee involved. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

#4 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:32 PM

Yep, I did that - put my storage unit on the AGR card when I had it (the storage unit).  I also pay my car insurance, cable, cellphone, etc with my card.  I like doing this for two reasons.  1) to get the points, 2) I don't have to worry about having the money available right when the bills are due.  I pay my AGR card off every two weeks.

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

That's what my strategy will be also, use the card for as many expenses as possible! Now we just need to hope that the trains keep on rolling! So we can use the accumulated points!

Edited by Ronbo, 07 April 2017 - 06:06 PM.

#6 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,189 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

I use mine to pay my cell phone, apt rent, cable bill and others.

Now if I can just use it to pay off a certain person to turn her nuclear powered snowblower another direction!:giggle:
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#7 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:29 PM

I use mine to pay my cell phone, apt rent, cable bill and others.

Now if I can just use it to pay off a certain person to turn her nuclear powered snowblower another direction! :giggle:

You can pay me in points.  ;)

#8 Carolina Special

Carolina Special

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

It would be nice if you could pay your mortgage with the card, but the banks are not too keen on allowing that.

#9 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

Take a look at plastiq for that kind of thing. 

41,175 Miles on Amtrak in 43 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users