• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,741 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:21 PM

According to a post on trainorders, starting on May 1st, there will be a New Shuttle starting up between the Maricopa Amtrak Station and several places in Phoenix.

No details or sources are listed.
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#2 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

According to a post on trainorders, starting on May 1st, there will be a New Shuttle starting up between the Maricopa Amtrak Station and several places in Phoenix.

No details or sources are listed.

If true, that's very good news. I would have traveled to a convention in Phoenix in 2011 if that had been available.

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#3 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,887 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

Does Uber/Lyft work to/from MRC? I'm doubtful a shuttle that only operates three times in seven days can maintain financial self sufficiency.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

There is a Maricopa - Phoenix Shuttle that is by reservation only to and from.  The Amtrak station in Maricopa is listed as one of their popular pick up and drop off points. 

www.maricopaphoenixshuttle.com

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 206,000

#5 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

There is a Maricopa - Phoenix Shuttle that is by reservation only to and from.  The Amtrak station in Maricopa is listed as one of their popular pick up and drop off points. 

www.maricopaphoenixshuttle.com

The TO post referred to by the OP implies something more along the lines of a dedicated Thruway service that's bookable directly from Amtrak. It doesn't actually say that, though. And it doesn't seem to be programmed into the Amtrak website yet. So this is a wait-and-see kind of thing. I don't know enough about the poster over on TO to be able to evaluate the statement for potential accuracy.

#6 SanAntonioClyde

SanAntonioClyde

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:NARP MEMBER, Getting daily Sunset Limited service and better San Antonio Amtrak station.

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

Shuttle was instigated by Amtrak is my understanding

#7 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

That would be great. Looking forward to the details.

#8 bmjhagen9426

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Computers, riding trains/travel, watching movies/sporting events, listening to music/speeches/talk radio, reading

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:03 PM

Perhaps it will ease the burden for trip planning should my trip destination be PHX, should this service actually gets off the ground.

Edited by bmjhagen9426, 08 April 2017 - 10:04 PM.

Just a 23 year old college student who likes to travel by train.
Trains taken (US): Coast Starlight, San Joaquins, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Hoosier State, SP4449 excursion 2015
Commuter/Transit Rail (US): Metra, TriMet, SoundTransit, Muni, LA MetroRail
Trains/Transit taken (Outside US and Canada): KNR, SMSC, SMRT, IRTC, DJET, DX LINE, EVERLINE, HUMETRO, METRO9
Ambus trips: BFD-LAX, EMY-SFC
Current Amtrak mileage: 17251 miles plus 130 Ambus miles

#9 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:15 PM

Back in the PRIIA study of the Sunset Ltd, it reported that Amtrak had contacted the airport shuttle operators about serving the Amtrak station.

No. The obvious business problem is what to do with buses, vans, limos, and their drivers on the 4 days that the 3-days-a-week Sunset doesn't stop in Maricopa. If some operator has solved that problem, that's great news. Great news indeed for this worst-performing train in the national system. Otherwise the world has to wait for the daily Sunset, if or when.

Edited by WoodyinNYC, 08 April 2017 - 11:18 PM.

#10 PVD

PVD

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:30 AM

There has been a reservation only shuttle from Maricopa to the Phoenix Airport for quite a while. Perhaps they are just adding an extra piece to a couple of runs on the days the S/L runs. Guess we will know soon enough.

#11 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

maybe the reservation only company is doing pick-ups to/from most trains, but has empty seats going each way in their van, thus interested in filling those seats.. 

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

#12 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,852 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

Perhaps it will ease the burden for trip planning should my trip destination be PHX, should this service actually gets off the ground.
It may GET off the ground, but the question is will it STAY off the ground for long?:huh:

Edited by the_traveler, 09 April 2017 - 10:42 AM.

Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

The view is much better at 3 feet than it is at 30,000 feet!

#13 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 09 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

Speaking of shuttles, are there any other regularly scheduled shuttles, besides the two daily Jefferson Lines buses, between Des Moines and the Osceola Amtrak station?

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#14 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:01 PM

The Thruway connection is now bookable for departures starting May 1st.

Connections appear to be available to/from the Sunset in both directions. I was able to make dummy bookings for both the Phoenix Airport (PHA) and Phoenix Metrocenter (PXN). These are the same stops used by the "Arizona Shuttle," which operates Thruway service between Flagstaff and Phoenix to/from the SWC, so one might conclude that is the same company operating this new service...but I can't say for sure.

A post on Trainorders suggests the new Maricopa Thruway service will include a stop in Tempe, but that stop has not been programmed into the Amtrak website booking engine.

#15 jebr

jebr

Engineer

• Forum Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:38 PM

Speaking of shuttles, are there any other regularly scheduled shuttles, besides the two daily Jefferson Lines buses, between Des Moines and the Osceola Amtrak station?

Not that I can find, at least with any usable regularity. The local transit agency (Southern Iowa Trolley) has a once-a-month service to Des Moines on the first Tuesday of the month, but other than that and Jefferson Lines there really isn't any.

#16 Thirdrail7

Thirdrail7

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

The Thruway connection is now bookable for departures starting May 1st.

Connections appear to be available to/from the Sunset in both directions. I was able to make dummy bookings for both the Phoenix Airport (PHA) and Phoenix Metrocenter (PXN). These are the same stops used by the "Arizona Shuttle," which operates Thruway service between Flagstaff and Phoenix to/from the SWC, so one might conclude that is the same company operating this new service...but I can't say for sure.

A post on Trainorders suggests the new Maricopa Thruway service will include a stop in Tempe, but that stop has not been programmed into the Amtrak website booking engine.

The Tempe, AZ (TEM) stop is now showing.  This is a dedicated thruway bus that will wait for their inbound connecting trains. From what I've seen, they may wait a long time. ^_^

I suppose if the outbound train is running late, the bus will still depart on time.

Edited by Thirdrail7, 19 April 2017 - 10:07 PM.

They say laughter is the best medicine. Obviously they never posted on AU.

#17 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:22 AM

Not that I can find, at least with any usable regularity. The local transit agency (Southern Iowa Trolley) has a once-a-month service to Des Moines on the first Tuesday of the month, but other than that and Jefferson Lines there really isn't any.

Once a month? Incredible...why bother?  I suppose it's to accommodate senior's going for medical appointments, or something like that....

Back in the old regulated busline days, it could have been done as a "franchise run", to keep exclusive ownership of a dormant route...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#18 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

Looks like they've added the timetable to the Sunset Limited's page. To meet the eastbound train, be ready to get on the shuttle as early as 3:15 AM. Westbound is a more convenient 6:30 PM. I'm really glad to see it serves the airport though.

Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#19 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

Hopefully, the Phoenix area people learn about the shuttle so it gets used.  The fare on the bus is included, so this would be cheaper than using the reservation van service.  Also, visitors to the Area have easy access to rental cars and hotels.

Trains Traveled On:

#20 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

Many years ago, when a late CZ missed the connecting Jefferson Lines bus from Osceola to Des Moines, the station agent told me he also ran a taxi service and offered to drive me and my 4 kids to the Des Moines bus depot. We caught up there with the Jeff Lines bus continuing our journey to southern Minnesota.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users