How to get a good seat in Coach.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kenbyrddogg

I'm taking the Capitol Limited from Washington to Toledo and the 49 Lake Shore Limited from Toledo to Chicago both in coach. Is anyone familiar with these routes? is it possible to get a good seat in coach by the window so I can watch the scenery or are these trains pretty full? Should I just go to the sightseeing car?

Sometimes, the coach attendant assigns sears as you enter, and sometimes you just choose you own seat. Being that Washington is the starting point, most likely you can choose you own seat there. When boarding in Toledo, most likely you'll be assigned a seat from those available.

The lounge car makes the window seat less of an issue for me. If a coach attendant insists that I sit in an aisle seat then I can always go to the lounge car. The bigger issue for me is whoever I end up being sat next to. If Amtrak would allow a single traveler to buy and use two coach tickets that issue would be resolved as well and might earn them more money on trains that weren't already full.

I'm just wondering why you chose to change trains in Toledo when the capital limited goes through to Chicago as well.

In WAS be among the first to board so you can choose your seat. The CL is a Superliner so it will be two levels, though most of the lower level seating is reserved. The LSL is single level and many Coach cars with about 60 seats per car.

I'm just wondering why you chose to change trains in Toledo when the capital limited goes through to Chicago as well.
I have to take a later time. The one to Toledo leaves at 4:00pm.

I think he's STOPPING in Toledo, not just changing trains.
Right. The Capitol Limited is 13hrs from Washington until it stops in Toledo and you change trains to the Lake Shore Limited which is 4hrs to Chicago..

Right. The Capitol Limited is 13hrs from Washington until it stops in Toledo and you change trains to the Lake Shore Limited which is 4hrs to Chicago..
Are you staying in Toledo for a day or so before catching the Lake Shore Limited? Because as the other poster said, the Capitol Limited goes all the way to Chicago. No need to hop off it and hop onto the Lake Shore Limited.

Are you staying in Toledo for a day or so before catching the Lake Shore Limited? Because as the other poster said, the Capitol Limited goes all the way to Chicago. No need to hop off it and hop onto the Lake Shore Limited.
It's just a 1hr layover.

Sorry, but you should check that again. It leaves at 4 am.
The CL leaves at 4:05 PM.
To and from is confusing. :D

Ken, what exactly are you doing?
Here below is the schedule:

WASH-CHI

4:05pm-5:08am

13hr, 3 minutes

29 Capitol Limited

-----------------------

Transfer -TOL (1hr, 7min)

-----------------------

6:15am-9:45am

4hr, 30 min

49 Lake Shore Limited.

WASH-CHI

13hr, 3 minutes

29 Capitol Limited

-----------------------

-----------------------

4hr, 30 min

49 Lake Shore Limited.
Why not just keep sleeping on the capital limited all the way through the Toledo station and not have to transfer?

WASH-CHI

13hr, 3 minutes

29 Capitol Limited

-----------------------

-----------------------

4hr, 30 min

49 Lake Shore Limited.
Why not just keep sleeping on the capital limited all the way through the Toledo station and not have to transfer?
Plus the risk that 29 runs late & gets to Toledo after 49.

I'm taking the Capitol Limited from Washington to Toledo and the 49 Lake Shore Limited from Toledo to Chicago both in coach. Is anyone familiar with these routes? is it possible to get a good seat in coach by the window so I can watch the scenery or are these trains pretty full? Should I just go to the sightseeing car?
Are you wanting to try a superliner and a single level train on the same trip? Is that why you're changing trains in Toledo? BTW, the LSL(49) does not have a sightseer lounge, just a cafe car.

Plus the risk that 29 runs late & gets to Toledo after 49.
Agreed. There is just too much of a chance that track work, freight congestion, or just your train (or one ahead of you) hits a trespasser (happened to us in 2012) and you lose too much time to make the connection. I'm surprised Amtrak let you book a connection that close...did you book it as two separate reservations? If you did, and anything happens...you're screwed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Capitol Limited is even quicker getting into Chicago from Toledo; as the LSL has more stops between.

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back