3 replies to this topic

#1 City of Miami

City of Miami

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

There are some really old threads on this topic but here's a new one with a selection a little of the beaten track:

The Kinks "The Last of the Good Old Fashioned Steam Powered Trains"

This song really shows Ray Davies' creativity I think as well as genuine affection for trains. I like the long title which mimics the appearance of the train; I like the speed up in the middle as the train gains speed and I especially like the falsettos of the band subtly  creating the steam whistle. I like that it's in first person.

#2 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:29 PM

Good one John! Thanks for sharing!😎

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#3 oregon pioneer

oregon pioneer

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Interests:Cross-country skiing, forestry, botany, solar power, gardening and food!

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

Very good, thanks!!

Jennifer

I'm a "little Old Lady in Tennis Shoes" (LOLITS) from Eastern Oregon. I love to travel by train, though I live way out in the toolies, far from the nearest Amtrak station (Chemult). My station would have been Baker City, but they cancelled the Oregon Pioneer just before I took my first long-distance train trip as an adult. I've taken most trains in the West, but I'm still exploring new routes in the east.

#4 Rockymtnchris

Rockymtnchris

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Travel, of course! Also superheroes and sports figures.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:15 AM

Mick Avory rocks as always, too. The Kinks song's syncopation is spot on. 

Going a bit off topic, but in the UK before there was Thomas, there was Elton John's Rocket Record Company and its logo...

Rocket_Record_Company_train_logo.png

Both designs were supposedly based on the "Little Engine that Could" story.

One of RRC's star artists of the 1970's was Neil Sedaka who recorded a train-themed song called "Better Days are Coming"...

From what I can tell, nobody's posted that one on the board yet, although I'm sure someone's mentioned an earlier hit of his titled, "One Way Ticket to the Blues".

titavatar_zpsgppjc9u6.jpg

I'll always consider new forms of travel, including time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users