Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Dining on the Ocean (with photos)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

Lunch: Tomato Bisque Soup, Pulled-Pork Sandwich with Peppers & Onions, Potato Salad. Dessert: Brownie (lunch was served to those passengers boarding in Truro at 2:45pm)

Attached Files

#2 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

Dinner: Seafood Chowder. Stuffed Chicken Breast. Dessert: Sugar Pie with Maple Syrup

Attached Files

#3 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

Breakfast: Scrambled Skillet: Hashbrowns, Country Sausage, Scrambled Eggs and all topped with grated Cheddar (one of the best breakfasts I've had on VIA (Canadian included!) Another Breakfast option was Tomato Quiche & Country Sausage

Attached Files

#4 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:37 AM

It all looks very good. Excuse me while I open a tin of beans for my dinner... :D

Ed.

#5 crescent-zephyr

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:37 AM

Thanks! 

I've never seen photos of dining car service on the Ocean, only the Canadian (which I've also seen in real life :)

Hoping to ride this train one day. 

Amtrak: - Coast Starlight*, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin*, Cascades*, Empire Builder*, California Zephyr*, Southwest Chief*, City of New Orleans*, River Cities, Illinois Zephyr*, Wolverine, Cardinal, Capitol Limited*, Lake Shore Limited, Downeaster, Acela Express*, Crescent*, Carolinian*, Silver Star*, Silver Meteor*, Maple Leaf* Texas Eagle.

VIA: - Canadian*

Iowa Pacific - Hoosier State*, and City of New Orleans Pullman*.   

#6 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,303 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports/Gov't/ Politics/History/Reading/
    Movies/Music/Space-Ancient Aliens

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:10 PM

As always, outstanding pics and info from the Great White North, thanks for sharing!😙

And topping a meal on the Canadian is news indeed!!!😉
"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad
 "..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#7 OBS

OBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

Does the Ocean still have the Park car year round? And, are there currently any Budd sets operating on the route?

Thanks!

#8 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

Everything looks good, but why is the slice of pie so skinny? I want an big fat slice of pie. :)

#9 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,258 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

Everything looks good, but why is the slice of pie so skinny? I want an big fat slice of pie. :)

Can't say for certain, but I'm guessing that the pies are pre-sliced, with paper separation, and are kept frozen.

I buy Cheesecake Factory frozen cheesecake's at Costco, that come that way...
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#10 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

It all looks very good. Excuse me while I open a tin of beans for my dinner... :D

Ed.

No beans here...Dinty Moore beef stew!

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#11 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

Believe me.....Sugar Pie with Quebec Maple Syrup.....you wouldn't want any more than that!

#12 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

Can't say for certain, but I'm guessing that the pies are pre-sliced, with paper separation, and are kept frozen.

I buy Cheesecake Factory frozen cheesecake's at Costco, that come that way...

Yes but those slices of cheesecake are nice and fat. Not skinny.

#13 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

Believe me.....Sugar Pie with Quebec Maple Syrup.....you wouldn't want any more than that!

It does look benign in the picture though :)

#14 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

Thank you for the photos, the food looks good to me.

(Nice to know that another poster's dining menu includes Dinty Moore's Beef Stew as well as mine.)

#15 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the pictures, we just booked a trip on The Ocean, in a room, for late August, and looking forward to the Park Car, and the diner.

I like the fact that the diner has tables for 2,no offense, but as someone who has do a lot of networking for work, I don't like having to deal with strangers while on vacation.

Ken   

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#16 NS VIA Fan

NS VIA Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:28 AM

I like the fact that the diner has tables for 2,no offense, but as someone who has do a lot of networking for work, I don't like having to deal with strangers while on vacation.

The Ocean will be busy in August and often sells-out in sleepers......so a pretty good chance you will be seated with someone.

#17 Maverickstation

Maverickstation

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Equality.

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:42 AM

We really enjoyed our trip on The Ocean this week. The Dining Car service was excellent, and we got our same table for 2 for each meal (dinner, breakfast, lunch). We had plenty of socializing in the 2 dome cars, this was one long train !Attached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1504352417.357792.jpg   63.56KB   11 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1504352454.195132.jpg   65.94KB   10 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1504352504.006625.jpg   60.45KB   12 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1504352539.750659.jpg   67.56KB   11 downloads

The poster formally known as Peconicstation.

Location: Boston MA, the greatest city in America, and home of South Station, Amtrak's best large city station.

#18 JRR

JRR

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

Did the Ocean this summer, Montreal to Halifax in a bedroom. Neat trip, as stated the diner food was great and enjoyed the Dome and Park car. They had entertainment in the Park car. A lot of fun in an intimate environment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users