Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Why do trains in the USA are so bad?!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 swetam143

swetam143

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:11 AM

In this moment, there is a rumor that all the trains in the USA are bad. Personally, I absolutely have no idea why do people say that. Is it maybe because they are Diesel engines? What else can it be?

I made some researches about this rumor and found some videos about it:

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=mbEfzuCLoAQ

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=H6IGesKx3pE

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=gAk94_uI2Q0

#2 VentureForth

VentureForth

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

What in the videos concern you the most? Do his explanations not make sense?

That being said, I wouldn't say American trains are "bad". There must be a better word. Inefficient is perhaps the best word. Both financially and operationally, Amtrak is woefully inefficient.

I would say that the rail experience on Amtrak is better than India Rail (though I would like to enjoy IR someday).

Certainly better than much of Russia's Trans-Siberian, or Australian long distance trains.

Edited by VentureForth, 06 April 2017 - 10:06 AM.

14,223 Amtrak Miles. Many more to go.
Completed Routes: Capitol Limited, Palmetto
Also Ridden: Carolinian, Crescent, Pacific Surfliner, Piedmont, Southwest Chief, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Texas Eagle

#3 swetam143

swetam143

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

You're certainly right! But it's a rumor, personally, I like American Trains, especially Amtraks.

#4 XHRTSP

XHRTSP

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:19 AM

The average citizen pays less than $6 a year in taxes towards Amtrak.  I'd be happy to double or triple that and see what happens.

• daybeers likes this

#5 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

While I sort of know where they’re coming from, videos like that just get me angry. They usually misrepresent or exclude important info, leaving the less knowledgeable public with an incomplete perception of Amtrak and passenger rail. Just my take.
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#6 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:14 PM

While I sort of know where they’re coming from, videos like that just get me angry. They usually misrepresent or exclude important info, leaving the less knowledgeable public with an incomplete perception of Amtrak and passenger rail. Just my take.

The first link is great.

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

#7 cpotisch

cpotisch

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts
  • Interests:Planes, Trains, Cooking, Politics

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:15 AM

The first link is great.

To you it's great. To me it's infuriating. Even if the content is fine, that title (Why Trains Suck in America) immediately causes the viewer to think poorly of Amtrak. It might just be me, since I'm obsessed with Amtrak and LD trains, but that stuff just gets under my skin.
  • daybeers likes this
Routes Traveled: Silver Meteor, Silver Star, CrescentLake Shore LimitedCalifornia Zephyr, Sunset Limited, Texas EagleEthan Allen Express, Empire Service, Maple Leaf, AdirondackAcela Express, Northeast RegionalKeystone Service

Wish List: Cardinal, CONO, Empire Builder, Southwest Chief, Crescent (overnight), Adirondack w/ Great Dome, Downeaster

#8 daybeers

daybeers

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Music, Singing, Computers, Stained Glass, Photography, Traveling, Running, Wikipedia

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:31 AM

The first link is great.
To you it's great. To me it's infuriating. Even if the content is fine, that title (Why Trains Suck in America) immediately causes the viewer to think poorly of Amtrak. It might just be me, since I'm obsessed with Amtrak and LD trains, but that stuff just gets under my skin.

I just meant it's informative, and the title isn't exactly wrong: most trains so suck in America. I do understand what you mean though: Amtrak tries its best with the money it's given. Whether that best is good enough is up for debate.

• Pere Flyer and cpotisch like this

Amtrak travel so far: only 11,218 miles: Springfield Shuttle (13), Northeast Regional (28), Acela (1), Lake Shore Limited (2), Pennsylvanian (2), Capitol Limited (1)

Ambus mileage (3 trips): 108

Other rail transit: WMATA (~900 miles), Metro-North, MTA, MBTA (Subway and Commuter Rail), Metra, CTA, RTA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users