#1 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:50 AM

http://www.newarkpos...710203256f.html

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#2 CraigDK

CraigDK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Railroading, Engineering, Aviation, Philosophy, Theology

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

DelDOT has a project web page for the station here. Not much, but the presentation to the Newark City Council slides at least give a glimpse of what they are planning.

#3 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:48 PM

The project will certainly help things, but I fear the red tape and funding questions will make the SEPTA-MARC meetup a long time coming.

#4 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

The project will certainly help things, but I fear the red tape and funding questions will make the SEPTA-MARC meetup a long time coming.

Not to mention the name problem. Southeastern Pennsylvania And Maryland??

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#5 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:02 PM

:P
Hey, wait! You left Delaware out.

Edited by AmtrakBlue, 30 March 2017 - 01:03 PM.

2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

#6 brianpmcdonnell17

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:12 PM

Are there any plans to increase service on either of these lines? Otherwise transferring between the trains would be virtually impossible given both lines' weekday rush hour only service.
Trains travelled: Capitol Limited WAS-CHI, Carolinian CLT-RGH, Coast Starlight SJC-LAX, Crescent BAL-ATL, Empire Builder MSP-CHI, Empire Service NYP-NFL+NYG-YNY, Lake Shore Limited BOS-ALB, Maple Leaf ALB-NYP, Northeast Regional FBG-RVR+WAS-BOS, Pacific Surfliner LAX-ANA, Pennsylvanian NYP-PGH, Piedmont RGH-DNC, Silver Meteor ORL-NYP, Silver Star FTL-WAS, 2016 Autumn Express NYP-HAR-NYP

Upcoming New Routes: Cardinal CHI-WAS (July), Lake Shore Limited NYP-CHI (December), California Zephyr CHI-RIC (December), Coast Starlight SJC-SEA (December), Empire Builder SEA-MSP (January).

Non Amtrak: Atlanta Streetcar, Caltrain, CTA, DC Streetcar, Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, LIRR, MARC, MARTA, MBTA Subway, Metra, Metrolink, Metro-North, METRO Transit Light Rail, Miami Metrorail, Muni Metro, NJT Commuter Rail, North Star, NYC Subway, PATH, Pittsburgh Light Rail, River Line (NJT), SEPTA Regional Rail, SEPTA Subway, South Shore Line, Sunrail, Staten Island Railway, TECO Streetcar, Tri-Rail, Washington Metro

#7 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:31 PM

SPAM? I love it!

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#8 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 12:39 AM

So, would a trip from a streetcar in Seattle to this part of the country be called "SPAM the SLUT"?

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#9 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Are there any plans to increase service on either of these lines? Otherwise transferring between the trains would be virtually impossible given both lines' weekday rush hour only service.

This is a good question. Maybe the Newark, DE station will have to have a hotel for people making the connection. :P

On a more serious note, if this ever materializes I'm sure we'd see an overhaul in schedules. While it will never approach the service frequencies of the PHL-Trenton-NYP connection between SEPTA and NJT, I'm sure the SEPTA-MARC link-up would be a game-changer. [Side note: I wonder if Amtrak might present a bureaucratic obstacle since they would potentially lose thru-passengers on this portion of the route.]

All that said, I wonder if Newark (DE) is even the most logical place for a transfer to occur. It would force people in Wilmington (for example) to take a train a few miles west and then immediately transfer. OTOH, I'm not sure if the Wilmington station would have the operational capacity to host two commuter railroad terminals plus Amtrak thru-trains.

#10 CraigDK

CraigDK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

On a more serious note, if this ever materializes I'm sure we'd see an overhaul in schedules. While it will never approach the service frequencies of the PHL-Trenton-NYP connection between SEPTA and NJT, I'm sure the SEPTA-MARC link-up would be a game-changer. [Side note: I wonder if Amtrak might present a bureaucratic obstacle since they would potentially lose thru-passengers on this portion of the route.]

All that said, I wonder if Newark (DE) is even the most logical place for a transfer to occur. It would force people in Wilmington (for example) to take a train a few miles west and then immediately transfer. OTOH, I'm not sure if the Wilmington station would have the operational capacity to host two commuter railroad terminals plus Amtrak thru-trains.

I wouldn't expect that Amtrak would present much of an obstacle, since I think a fair share of the riders that would transfer between SEPTA & MARC probably aren't riding Amtrak on a regular basis.  They will certainly want infrastructure improvements and charge as much as they do for commuter trains else where on the NEC.

As for the most logical transfer place... Maybe not, but operationally, barring re-configuring Wilmington and the tracks around there, I think it makes sense.

Edited by CraigDK, 31 March 2017 - 01:44 PM.

#11 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

The location isn't just for transferring between the two systems. The station is located next to UD's STAR campus. They hope workers at the businesses in the STAR campus to utilize the two trains for their commutes. Plus, I think for workers at Aberdeen who live in DE.

#12 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

So, would a trip from a streetcar in Seattle to this part of the country be called "SPAM the SLUT"?

I don't get the second part. Is that a Northwest thing?

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

Bring back the Broadway Limited (or Three Rivers or any Chicago-Pittsburgh-Philly train)!

https://www.facebook...roadwayLimited/

#13 CraigDK

CraigDK

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

The location isn't just for transferring between the two systems. The station is located next to UD's STAR campus. They hope workers at the businesses in the STAR campus to utilize the two trains for their commutes. Plus, I think for workers at Aberdeen who live in DE.

Good points. I would have to assume that UD students might also find having these options convenient.

#14 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

I don't get the second part. Is that a Northwest thing?
South Lake Union Trolley

#15 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

One thing I can give some insider info on. The trains that I've been on that serve Newark see many people commuting between Wilmington, Churchmans Crossing, and Newark. It's not uncommon at all. But it should be mentioned that Septa crews despise having to go to Newark. The only time they like going there is if they're on an express train. As it helps the long trip go by much quicker. Crews are qualified to BACON interlocking. But that is a rare trip. Very rare. It should also be noted that Septa trains don't have bathrooms. I believe that some MARC cars have restrooms. And crews are qualified on most of the NEC IINM as they are run by Amtrak crews out of D.C. Zone 2.
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#16 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,326 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

At a minimum, every MARC train has a restroom in the cab car. A handful of others do as well.

Dela-where???
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#17 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

That's better then what we have! Lol!!
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

#18 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,503 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

MARC basically has restroom facilities similar to NJT.

#19 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Damn SPAM?

#20 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,201 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

And groundbreaking has taken place.

www.newarkpostonline.com/news/article_3e080474-c70d-574e-9044-e9f42c379189.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users