Local Transportation Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I will arrive at Chicago's Union Station on June 28th at 10:05 AM on Train 51. We need transportation to the suburb Hickory Hills.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best and affordable way to Hickory Hills? We will have luggage.

This is our first LD train trip (coach) and we both are somewhat apprehensive.

Thanks,

Mike

My wife and I will arrive at Chicago's Union Station on June 28th at 10:05 AM on Train 51. We need transportation to the suburb Hickory Hills.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best and affordable way to Hickory Hills? We will have luggage.
Google is your friend....
To amplify: I think that as long as you're not traveling at rush hour (and you aren't), you shouldn't have a problem with luggage on CTA. Of course, you may (should) want to board at the Washington/Wells station a few blocks in the wrong direction as it is wheelchair accessible (elevator); otherwise you'll be dragging your luggage up the stairs.

Cab, Uber, light rail, bus or thumb?
Cab would be quickest but most expensive (estimate $57.50 including tip); I've never used Uber but you can look them up; and I wouldn't risk hitchhiking in Chicago, even as a couple. If I were on a budget I would walk a few blocks to the Washington/Wells CTA station, take the light rail out to the Midway Airport station, then bus from there to Hickory Hills. Maybe a cab to your exact final destination.

You might also consider taking a Metra Southwest commuter train from Union Station to Palos Heights or Worth which look like they are about 4 miles from Hickory Hills if you can have someone pick you up or taxi/uber for final leg. Looks like the trip is about 40 minutes and there are a 10:35am and 12:35pm and 2:40pm departures from Union Station for example

You can also look into a shared ride service such as SuperShuttle, but in my experience if there are two or more of you traveling a cab is usually cheaper unless you are going to a busy destination such as a major hotel.

You might also consider taking a Metra Southwest commuter train from Union Station to Palos Heights or Worth which look like they are about 4 miles from Hickory Hills if you can have someone pick you up or taxi/uber for final leg. Looks like the trip is about 40 minutes and there are a 10:35am and 12:35pm and 2:40pm departures from Union Station for example
Yes, that looks like a good one also.

Agree that this looks like your best option. Buy your ticket at the counter before boarding the train.I think you will find it easy.

Depends on how much baggage you have. If it is fairly light (ie: You, your wife and bags can fit in a prius), you can Uber home for about $30 plus a tip. If you need a larger vehicle, UberXL can run up to $60, but it'll be MUCH more pleasant and comfortable than a comparable taxi. If you've never used Uber before, use my promotion code uberJIMSAV for a discount up to maybe $10 or so on your first ride.

Now, that depends on whether Uber is surging or not (premium prices when there is high demand, could double, triple or more the price). When you get to the side of the road, plug in your destination and you should get a good fare quote. You'll be surprised how quickly your ride arrives. A tip is never necessary but I promise, it's appreciated. So are 5 star ratings.

Now, being a train enthusiast - and again, this depends on how much luggage you are hauling around, follow the previous post recommendation and board Metra's Southwest Service to Worth at 12:35pm (You can assume your Amtrak arrival will be late) for a 40 minute ride and $6/per person ($3 if you qualify for reduced fare). From Worth, a quick Uber will get you home quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI on METRA:

What fares are available for seniors?

Senior citizens 65 or older, customers with disabilities and Medicare cardholders who have an RTA-issued Reduced Fare Permit are eligible for a reduced fare ticket. If you are enrolled in the Illinois Circuit Breaker program and have an RTA-issued Ride Free Circuit Permit, you are eligible to ride free. If you are not in possession of a RTA Reduced Fare Card, you must contact the RTA at 312-913-3110 to apply. Metra Electric customers: The credit card vending machines sell only full fare tickets. RTA Reduced Fare Permit-holders who purchase tickets can receive a rate adjustment at one of the downtown station ticket windows.

Apply NOW. I applied about 3 weeks ahead for CTA and it hadn't come by the time we left so we had to stop by the CTA HQ in downtown. Worth the effort.

BTW, if you are planning trips as seniors to other cities, check out their senior deals well in advance. e.g. Philly & Portland only require you show proof you are 65; NYC is like Chicago in that you need to apply well ahead or stop in at HQ. We have our METRA, MARTA, MTA Washington METRO, Boston T and Chicago CTA and have used them all.

Back