Amtrak derailment near Union station - Chicago 3/27

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 NY Coaches and one Amlounge. All Amfleet II

My guess is they will borrow a few cars from the Cardinal consist for 48 today, and then figure out how to replenish those cars for Cardinal's departure tomorrow. Worst case they will run the LSL New York section one Coach short today and tomorrow. AFAICT they usually have a spare food service car or two in Chicago.

Nope. Passenger interview was BOS passenger. Note BOS section is almost always on front since loco comes all way from BOS. Notice 4th car is V-1 sleeper.

Nope. Passenger interview was BOS passenger. Note BOS section is almost always on front since loco comes all way from BOS. Notice 4th car is V-1 sleeper.
Just because they interviewed a BOS passenger does not mean he was in a derailed car. Behind the locomotive(s), there is a baggage car, sleeper, lounge, and one-two coaches from BOS, all of which were upright. Everything behind those cars goes to/from NYP.

I'm traveling in a sleeper on the LSL tomorrow to Boston. Just received a call from Amtrak saying that there were equipment issues and I would have to change from sleeper to coach in Albany. I guess they are down a sleeper, wonder if it is because of this incident?

Last edited by a moderator:
And your point is exactly what? The cars involved are all in the rear half of the train. Or does that not matter since they interviewed a person from the Boston section?

The two Viewliners that you see in front of the baggage car are the NY Sleepers.

I'm traveling in a sleeper on the LSL tomorrow to Boston. Just received a call from Amtrak saying that there were equipment issues and I would have to change from sleeper to coach in Albany. I guess they are down a sleeper, wonder if it is because of this incident?
It is baseless speculation at this point, but a few times in the past when emergency needs dictated, Amtrak has substituted Superliner equipment on the Lake Shore Limited, which of course cannot enter New York and must terminate in Albany. But that seems unlikely, as most of the cars in the derailed train should have been unaffected.

So did it pick a switch in the ladder?
I will say this once. DO NOT SPECULATE!

You are NOT an NTSB or FRA investigator.

Based on the pictures from this tweet, https://twitter.com/CapturedNews/status/846400605312704513 I'm going to say that seems very likely.
Again. DO NOT SPECULATE!

I'm starting to grow a very very low tolerance for speculation!

Leave the investigation to the NTSB and or FRA.

Based on the pictures from this tweet, https://twitter.com/CapturedNews/status/846400605312704513 I'm going to say that seems very likely.
Again. DO NOT SPECULATE!

I just asked a question, and I'm not sure the NTSB or FRA will investigate themselves in this one since there weren't any injuries. There also was little to no damage, and I doubt anything could have stopped this type of derailment, assuming it was some sort of malfunction with the switch. If there was, then the model railroading community would be all over it...

Again. DO NOT SPECULATE!

I must have missed when you got promoted to moderator.

Again. DO NOT SPECULATE!

We are simply looking at pictures and saying what we see. That doesn't require you or anyone to get mad at us for 'speculation.' I honestly don't see the point in getting angry at nothing. Nobody said they were NTSB/FRA.

Again. DO NOT SPECULATE!

I agree with your point at least where people are concerned - things like suggesting an engineer might have ran a stop signal or a yard crew didn't properly check a coupler which separated at speed, that sort of thing. Wondering if a train might have picked a switch (which may or may not be true) is probably harmless, unless someone tried to place blame such as lack of maintenance or something; Then it would be inappropriate. But I doubt avoiding any and all speculation is possible or practical. This is a passenger rail oriented forum; We discuss all manner of railroading in the (partial or total) absence of official or complete (or even accurate) information. We don't (generally) have railroad training or experience outside of HO scale. A complete ban on all speculation and conjecture would even mean the end of our discussions; We wouldn't have anything to talk about.

That in no way excuses posters for running their mouth off when they don't have a clue what they're talking about, or people who think they know more than they actually do. And sometimes it even gets silly (declaring a monocoque locomotive to have major frame damage from a single picture) but still, we're here to talk trains. Armchair railroading is harmless and fun (and maybe, just maybe, even productive once in a while) so long as people don't cross the line - pointing fingers and declaring conclusions they really don't know.

I have held my tongue in other incidents, and since this one had a sequence of events that I was wondering about, I asked a simple question. I have no intention of trying to get anyone punished for any mistake that may or may not have happened. It I had asked about the engine crew of 188 back on the day it happened that would have been a time where a "do not speculate" request would make a lot more sense to me, but that isn't what happened here.

Yes it does appear a car picked a switch. However if it did why ??

1. Broken wheel flange ?

2. broken wheel ?

3. broken axel ?

4. Truck failure ?\

5. dragging equipment ?

6. Broken rail ?

7. Broken frog ?

8. Broken switch rod ?

9. Failed switch machine ?

10. switch operated under train ?

Our experts can probably come up with other causes ?

Back