Collision and Derailment in Penn Station 3/24/17, 10:08am

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Looks like there was a low speed side swipe collision between an NJT train and an Acela and derailment of the Acela in NY Penn Station on the U Ladder. Whether the derailment led to the side swipe or the other way round is not known to me at this time.

http://pix11.com/2017/03/24/amtrak-train-derails-at-ny-penn-station-nj-transit/

it happened within the last 10 mins or so.

Amtrak train involved is Acela 2151. It was departing from track 6.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/amtrak-train-derails-penn-station-shutting-nj-transit-se-article-1.3007835

2154 is terminating in Newark and being turned into 2151

No reported injuries

NJT service to NYP is suspended, All trains terminating at Newark Penn and turning. Midtown Directs to Hoboken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all of you for the information, and especially to jis for posting the information so early about NJT turning at Newark Penn.

It was helpful to know that all of NJT isn't shut down and that I will be able to get home from work.

As usual, I got more complete information here than on any "official" website! :)

They did not go to GCT, they discharged passengers at Spuyten Duyvil to be transferred to MN train. after getting Pilot the amtrak trains went to Mott Haven Jct to be wyeed and were used for north bound trains.

Currently service to NYP has been restored.

Yes! Once in a lifetime!
Nowadays. But before the Westside Connect was built in the mid 1990's, ALL Empire Service trains (including the LSL) only went to NYG! (You had to transfer to NYP to get another Amtrak train.)
Yeah, I do know about the Empire Connection. It didn't happen, but if it did, it would be quite rare. Grand Central is really a great station. Haven't been there in a while, though.

It would seem, and this is pure speculation, that 2151 ran by the signal and in to the side of the NJT train.

There's a lot of variables involved. Maybe a signal malfunctioned, or the brakes or maybe a half million other things that I never thought about. Definitely I know that a dint know enough to speculate.

The picture of the NJT train against the platform is very interesting. It may be the collision pushed the NJT train into the platform. If so then both sides of at least 1 NJT car will be at medium damage.

The reason Amtrak not going to GCT is the 3rd rail shoes on the locos have to be adjusted by Albany maintenance for underrunning. Since the shutdown was expected to be brief no reason to change the shoes. Now if the drawbridge at S D breaks down the shoes would be changed. Anyone with an idea on how long to adjust the shoes ?

Back