Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Alaska will fold Virgin America brand within two years

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

I can understand why Branson might feel a bit miffed about his brand being dumped. I think he is even more miffed because Alaska doesn't see any value even though they have purchased the brand and locked it up in the US market for a while. I suspect they will do the minimal needed to hold onto it so that no one else can use it. It was a pure get rid of a competitor move together with getting an enhancement to their route structure. OTOH I also fully understand why Alaska did what it did.

Seemed like they were afraid B6 wanted it, so they had to pay any price to avoid that. 

Things are not always going To Branson's liking...A few years ago he campaigned heavily against a BA-AA alliance ("BA+AA=No Way")...But it happened anyway....

Prior to the open skies bilateral the BA+AA alliance required special government approval on both sides of the pond, mainly because it was blatantly anti-consumer and anti-competitive. As with the lopsided interference in the DFW vs DAL dispute only AA/BA loyalists and sympathizers genuinely supported it. To this day AA's sloppy soft product remains a sad joke and BA's premium services are hopelessly overpriced relative to competitors. Meanwhile VS' Upper Class service has gone from being an also-ran to a sleek and sexy trend setter. VS/UC remains a full fledged bucket list item for me while AA's and BA's products have fallen completely off my radar.

4164375.jpg

Can't see your image, but AAs biz product JFK/LAX-LHR isn't that bad. The 777-300ER is a good product. I also am a big fan of the much less popular 767 refurb seats. I have spent around 10 nights in that seat and have gotten some of my best sleep in J in those seats. Soft product wise they can surprise you.A recent trip in J from MAN-JFK on the 767 even had duck on the menu I was shocked.  Yeah I guess I can't get my haircut in the lounge preflight, but I don't think I would partake in that anyway. 

Edited by Long Train Runnin', 28 March 2017 - 02:50 PM.

41,175 Miles on Amtrak in 43 states. 
Routes Traveled: Acela Express, Adirondack, Amtrak Cascades, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Carolinian, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Downeaster, Empire Builder, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Hiawatha, Keystone Corridor, Lake Shore Limited, Northeast Regional, Maple Leaf, Missouri River Runner, Pacific Surfliner, Pennsylvanian, Silver Meteor, Southwest Chief, Springfield Shuttles, Texas Eagle, Vermonter.

#22 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

Seemed like they were afraid B6 wanted it, so they had to pay any price to avoid that.

Even from a consumer advocacy standpoint I would have had little problem supporting a VX+B6 merger. Maybe what AS needed more than VX was an anti-dumping investigation into DL's SEA ops?

Can't see your image, but AAs biz product JFK/LAX-LHR isn't that bad. The 777-300ER is a good product. I also am a big fan of the much less popular 767 refurb seats. I have spent around 10 nights in that seat and have gotten some of my best sleep in J in those seats. Soft product wise they can surprise you.A recent trip in J from MAN-JFK on the 767 even had duck on the menu I was shocked. Yeah I guess I can't get my haircut in the lounge preflight, but I don't think I would partake in that anyway.

America West bought out US Airways which then bought out American Airlines. None of those airlines has surprised me in a positive sense since the mid-eighties. Many mainstream travel reviewers and bloggers no longer bother comparing the soft products of US airlines, presumably because they're so limited in scope and so inconsistent in delivery that there's simply not much point to it. Or maybe they're simply tired of being snapped and barked at for daring to photograph the interior of a US airline's cabin. As far as specific aircraft 767's and 777's don't really do anything for me at this point. In fact I've flown enough 777's over the years that I'm almost sick of them. In today's homogeneous airline market 777's are replacing nearly every widebody aircraft from the past three generations. It's sad to think we'll soon be limited to the B777, B787, A330, A380, and A350 for mainstream widebodies. The photo was intended to display a VS A346, which is an airline and aircraft I've never flown but would still like to experience before they're decommissioned to make way for the A351, hopefully in the premium cabin if possible.

I used to be with ‘it,’ but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it,’ and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

#23 Texan Eagle

Texan Eagle

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

Did Branson have a say in Virgin America takeover by Alaska? If he cared for the brand so much that he is "sad" now, why did he let the sale to happen? Why didn't he invest his own money and keep the Virgin America brand alive?

I am a fan of Branson and Alaska Air both, but in this case I'd say Branson is just being overly dramatic to get some media attention for his new flight. 

#24 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,195 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

AFAICT he did not have a say.

#25 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,236 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:06 PM

He had a say, but only insofar as he held a minority stake in the company and the hedge fund folks who backed the airline to begin with had more votes than he did.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#26 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,195 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

He had a say, but only insofar as he held a minority stake in the company and the hedge fund folks who backed the airline to begin with had more votes than he did.

Which is about as much say as anyone holding a minority stake does specially when the major stakeholders disagree with you. That is - close to zero.

#27 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:22 PM

Branson, the British billionaire who helped create Virgin America, told reporters in Seattle this week that Alaska must pay royalties for the Virgin name under a licensing deal that runs until 2040....Alaska's general counsel said Wednesday that Branson was correct only about the length of the contract.
"What he didn't mention is there are lots of ways out of the contract," Kyle Levine said Wednesday. "No, we do not need to keep paying for a brand that we are not using."

http://www.seattlepi...es-11037209.php

Formerly All-Boeing Alaska Air To Keep Airbus Jets 'For The Foreseeable Future'

http://kuow.org/post...eseeable-future

Pedersen said most of the 68 Airbus jets in Virgin's fleet this year are on leases that run through at least 2021. He said Alaska Air will announce a decision by the end of this year whether to remain a mixed fleet operator long term or go back to an all-Boeing fleet....

On Wednesday, the combined airline's top brass added that it will standardize the First Class cabins resulting in plusher seats with more legroom than Alaska currently offers, but less space than Virgin's current First Class offering.

Alaska Air Group CEO Brad Tilden said his team evaluated whether to offer "lie-flat" seats on transcontinental flights to keep pace with larger competitors, but decided that was not worth it.

Edited by CHamilton, 29 March 2017 - 05:26 PM.

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#28 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

This jumped out from the solid GeekWire story:

By June, Alaska first-class passengers will be able to pre-select meals before they fly, and by next year, main-cabin passengers will be able to pre-pay for meals.

Everything they can do, Amtrak can do, too? Ya think?

#29 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:05 AM

Alaska Airlines struggles to bring Virgin America on board

http://www.heraldnet...erica-on-board/

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users