Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

Alaska will fold Virgin America brand within two years

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:14 AM

Alaska will fold Virgin America brand within two years

http://www.seattleti...thin-two-years/

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 Rockymtnchris

Rockymtnchris

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Travel, of course! Also superheroes and sports figures.

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:34 AM

That sucks. AARP travel usually books me by VA when I fly nonstop from DEN>SFO. I guess they'll end up putting me back on Frontier or United. I refuse to travel any of the airlines that require a stopover in PHX even if they are cheaper than a nonstop.

titavatar_zpsgppjc9u6.jpg

I'll always consider new forms of travel, including time...

#3 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:01 AM

I see that Branson is upset...
I wonder how long before he finds someone else to take on the VIrgin America brand?

Edited by railiner, 23 March 2017 - 05:02 AM.

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#4 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

More specifics here.

http://www.geekwire....n-america-2019/

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#5 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,967 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

The decision criteria for discontinuing the brand seems pretty clear. It is not worth 0.7% of the revenue, and the headache of keeping track of two brands and revenue streams and which flight is flying under what brand, and in addition artificially partitioning the fleet assets constraining operational flexibility. Like the crap the United was living with, even after they went to a single brand on day one, but because they were unable to conclude the negotiations to merge fleets and crew until recently.

Branson had no real control over the airline anyway. He was just peddling his brand, which some people care about, but apparently not enough of them.

I wonder how long before he finds someone else to take on the VIrgin America brand?

Yup. He will have to find someone who has a business that will benefit enough from the brand to be able to cobble together the additional revenue to cover the franchising cost to use the brand. In airline business such luxury is becoming more and more rare these days.

Maybe he will decide to enter the railroad business instead. But again, he will have to find someone someone else who is willing to do foot the bill, since he appears to have no desire to make any big investment himself.

Edited by jis, 23 March 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#6 fairviewroad

fairviewroad

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Seems like a logical move to me, though I personally never found the VA name to be appealing or offering any particular cachet. Though there is something ironic about Alaska Airlines worrying about the confusion over having a brand-within-a-brand, considering that's more-or-less exactly what they've done for years with the Horizon name. You book Horizon tickets directly from Alaska, but Horizon offers different amenities and has a different vibe to it.

A few years ago, Alaska de-emphasized the Horizon brand, but even so, people in the Pacific NW still talk about taking the "Horizon shuttle" between SEA and PDX. Maybe that's why Alaska made their decision about VA...trying to avoid the dilution of the Alaska brand.

#7 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

American travelers have lost a lot of competition in the domestic airline market over the last several years. In my experience coach service levels have deteriorated to an all time low. At this point I rarely bother interacting with airline staff or making any requests as there is almost nothing they can do for you anymore. These days the bean counting computer holds all the cards and it doesn't seem to care if you had a pleasant flight or the worst traveling experience ever. VX didn't do much to reduce prices but they did help to increase expectations for the first time since I can remember. Which makes their buyout and dismantling unfortunate but not exactly unexpected.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 23 March 2017 - 01:16 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#8 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,967 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

Seems like a logical move to me, though I personally never found the VA name to be appealing or offering any particular cachet. Though there is something ironic about Alaska Airlines worrying about the confusion over having a brand-within-a-brand, considering that's more-or-less exactly what they've done for years with the Horizon name. You book Horizon tickets directly from Alaska, but Horizon offers different amenities and has a different vibe to it.

A few years ago, Alaska de-emphasized the Horizon brand, but even so, people in the Pacific NW still talk about taking the "Horizon shuttle" between SEA and PDX. Maybe that's why Alaska made their decision about VA...trying to avoid the dilution of the Alaska brand.

The additional problem with keeping the Virgin brand was the additional accounting and fleet separation that they would have to maintain to artificially partition their "LD" network just to keep track of royalty payments to Branson. This is different from creating a sub brand for shuttle service, like Horizaon, though most airlines have backed away from such experiments in the recent past.

#9 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

‘The Day the Music Died’? Billionaire Richard Branson mourns Virgin America

http://www.geekwire....virgin-america/

#10 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:04 PM

It seems to me that Alaska is putting a lot of what VA did into some enhancements. In other words, I still think it'll be a good product.

https://thepointsguy...virgin-america/

12 first class seats instead of 8 will be installed on the Airbus fleet. The 737's will get better seats, better wifi, expanded lounges among others. The big 3 have decided to take the West Coast by storm and this was Alaska's response. Just fly through LAX and you'll notice the taxi delays a lot more then just a couple years ago. 

Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

#11 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,967 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

LAX is not really a pleasant airport to fly through to start with.

#12 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

It seems to me that Alaska is putting a lot of what VA did into some enhancements. In other words, I still think it'll be a good product. 12 first class seats instead of 8 will be installed on the Airbus fleet. The 737's will get better seats, better wifi, expanded lounges among others. The big 3 have decided to take the West Coast by storm and this was Alaska's response. Just fly through LAX and you'll notice the taxi delays a lot more then just a couple years ago.

It seems to me that we're in the future promises stage of the merger. Every merger sounds great at this stage. The new airline will only include the best of both worlds. Who could possibly find fault with that? I've flown a lot of airlines and been through a lot of mergers and in almost every single case the more restrictive and/or lower quality service standard prevailed in the end. I'm sure some of VX will make it into the combined AS product. However, if these perks weren't part of the core business plan they will not be considered integral in the future and will be removed/reversed/ignored in due time. Just like TW > AA's MRTC, NW > DL's TPAC liquor, and CO > UA's coach meals.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 23 March 2017 - 08:08 PM.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#13 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:41 PM

The decision criteria for discontinuing the brand seems pretty clear. It is not worth 0.7% of the revenue, and the headache of keeping track of two brands and revenue streams and which flight is flying under what brand, and in addition artificially partitioning the fleet assets constraining operational flexibility. Like the crap the United was living with, even after they went to a single brand on day one, but because they were unable to conclude the negotiations to merge fleets and crew until recently.

Branson had no real control over the airline anyway. He was just peddling his brand, which some people care about, but apparently not enough of them.

Yup. He will have to find someone who has a business that will benefit enough from the brand to be able to cobble together the additional revenue to cover the franchising cost to use the brand. In airline business such luxury is becoming more and more rare these days.

Maybe he will decide to enter the railroad business instead. But again, he will have to find someone someone else who is willing to do foot the bill, since he appears to have no desire to make any big investment himself.

I believe, he would like to own Virgin America himself, if he could...but IIRC, current regulations prevent him from owning more than a 25% stake in a US domestic operation, and he could not be its CEO, either....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#14 Texan Eagle

Texan Eagle

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

That sucks. AARP travel usually books me by VA when I fly nonstop from DEN>SFO. I guess they'll end up putting me back on Frontier or United. I refuse to travel any of the airlines that require a stopover in PHX even if they are cheaper than a nonstop.

Folding up Virgin America brand does not mean the route will disappear. In fact, one of the reasons Alaska acquired Virgin was to get access to a wider route network. You will still get the same DEN-SFO flight, just that it will be called "Alsaka Airlines Flight XXX" instead of "Virgin America Flight XXX"

#15 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

Meanwhile, Branson brings Virgin Atlantic to Seattle.

Virgin Atlantic and its founder, Richard Branson, bring London buzz to Seattle

#16 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,967 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

Meanwhile, Branson brings Virgin Atlantic to Seattle.

Virgin Atlantic and its founder, Richard Branson, bring London buzz to Seattle

That would be 49% Delta and 51% Branson as far as ownership goes these days.

#17 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,174 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:35 PM

Richard Branson has warm words for Seattle, cold criticism for Alaska Air

http://www.geekwire....laska-airlines/

#18 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,167 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:12 AM

Things are not always going To Branson's liking...
A few years ago he campaigned heavily against a BA-AA alliance ("BA+AA=No Way")...
But it happened anyway....
metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#19 jis

jis

Engineer

• Gathering Team Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,967 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

I can understand why Branson might feel a bit miffed about his brand being dumped. I think he is even more miffed because Alaska doesn't see any value even though they have purchased the brand and locked it up in the US market for a while. I suspect they will do the minimal needed to hold onto it so that no one else can use it. It was a pure get rid of a competitor move together with getting an enhancement to their route structure. OTOH I also fully understand why Alaska did what it did.

#20 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,163 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Things are not always going To Branson's liking...A few years ago he campaigned heavily against a BA-AA alliance ("BA+AA=No Way")...But it happened anyway....

Prior to the open skies bilateral the BA+AA alliance required special government approval on both sides of the pond, mainly because it was blatantly anti-consumer and anti-competitive. As with the lopsided interference in the DFW vs DAL dispute only AA/BA loyalists and sympathizers genuinely supported it. To this day AA's sloppy soft product remains a sad joke and BA's premium services are hopelessly overpriced relative to competitors. Meanwhile VS' Upper Class service has gone from being an also-ran to a sleek and sexy trend setter. VS/UC remains a full fledged bucket list item for me while AA's and BA's products have fallen completely off my radar.

4164375.jpg

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 28 March 2017 - 01:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users