8 replies to this topic

#1 MikeM

MikeM

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:33 PM

All - I have a trip planned in April to take the Texas Eagle from Ft Worth to St. Louis, and will need a car there for a few days.  On past trips, I reserved at the Budget location located across the street from the Gateway station in a hotel.  This time, I noticed that this location is showing as closing as of 3/20/17.  Has anyone rented cars in St. Louis lately, and if so can you offer recommendations what would be a good option?  As it is, I reserved a car at the Avis location located in the Westin hotel located about a mile from the station.

Bonus question, if I keep the Avis reservation the web site says it's near St Louis Union station, not sure if that means the old Union Station - if so how hard is it to catch light rail from Gateway to the old station?

#2 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

Looks like the two stations are fairly close with light rail between

https://www.google.c...8!4d-90.2034868

Avis, Hertz, Budget and Enterprise are not far so they may pick you up at the station.

#3 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

Can't you just request to be picked up? Most non-airport rental locations can do that.

Do you have an address?

#4 DevalDragon

DevalDragon

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Railroads

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

Take the light rail to the airport. Better hours and more options!

#5 River Cities

River Cities

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

If it's the Westin downtown, that's right by the "Stadium" Metrolink station (which is the opposite direction from Union Station starting from Amtrak and the "Civic Center" station).  It's an easy transfer--the light rail platform is just outside the station building, and the stadium is one stop east.  I'd probably walk that distance, but with bags maybe it's worth the $2.50 for a short ride if they won't come pick you up!

When I've needed to rent a car in town, I've often found the best deals to be at the Budget at the airport.  Some of the neighborhood Enterprise locations are often good--prices vary a lot even a few miles apart--but getting to one might involve a bus adventure.

Amtrak routes covered: Broadway Limited (Chicago to Lima), Cascades (SEA to VAC), CL (CHI to SOB), CZ (SAC to CHI), CONO, CS (SEA to SAC) EB (to SEA only), Lincoln Serivce, LSL (to BOS only), MO River Runner (and the Mules), Wolverine (CHI to NLS).  Thruways: GBB to SPI, STL to CDL.

#6 me_little_me

me_little_me

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

My experience is that airport rental car fees are such that you save a lot of money at non-airport locations for the same company - $100 to $200 for a week rental.

#7 ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

My experience is that airport rental car fees are such that you save a lot of money at non-airport locations for the same company - $100 to $200 for a week rental.

Want an extreme example? Hertz quoted me $567 (CAD) for a three-day rental at Vancouver International before our planned cruise in September. The other companies were about the same. I was about to hold my nose and pull the trigger...until I did some more searching and checked the Hertz location right next to our cruise pier. If we took a taxi or limo from the airport to the cruise pier, our total for three days dropped to...$81.40 (USD). Taxes and fees included.

Posted Image 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#8 KauaiJohn

KauaiJohn

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

I did the downtown rental once but find it much easier to get the car by the airport.

#9 MikeM

MikeM

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:25 PM

FWIW, I did some digging on line and was able to save around $100 booking at the airport. I remember from other visits that the light rail connection to the airport is very direct. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users