change in plans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackpup

Service Attendant
So I think I'm going to cancel my trip on the EB #8, there is just to much uncertainty. Drive down to Milwaukee airport instead an take the Hiawatha commuter train to Chicago, there are about 5 different times. Plus I feel much safer leaving my car at a hotel, where you can leave it for free, as long as you stay at the hotel, which we would do the day before and the day after. I don't feel comfortable leaving my car at an unmanned station for two weeks where there is virtually no traffic. Plus then when we fly home, my car will be in the same city.

So I have tickets on the EB #8 from Dells to Chicago on 4/10 and then tickets on the EB #7 on 4/22 which I won't need. So how do I get a refund, do I just call Amtrak and tell them I want to cancel and want to do the Hiawatha instead, or do I tell them I want to modify my trip?

Also, where do you store your bags on those commuter trains?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go ahead, call and cancel your Empire Builder trip...and do it as soon as possible. Amtrak should offer you the choice between a 100% voucher towards future travel (good for one year), or else a cash refund with, technically, a 20% penalty. I say "technically" because sometimes they don't enforce it...my aunt was originally scheduled to join us on Railfan Madness Part II between Seattle and Reno, but after emergency cardiac surgery (she's fine, now) she obviously had to cancel. She initially elected the voucher, but a couple months later decided to convert it to a cash refund. Amtrak refunded her every penny she had originally paid for the trip. Obviously, Your Mileage May Vary.

If you do elect the voucher, you can then turn right around and use a small portion of it for your Hiawatha tickets.

any one have any experience on the Hiawatha, we have have two suitcases of the medium size (the kind you would have to check baggage at the airport) or the kind that you can store in the luggage rack on the regular LD amtrak trains. So do they have the same setup on the Hiawathas, do they also have a luggage rack of some sort you can store your suitcases.

any one have any experience on the Hiawatha, we have have two suitcases of the medium size (the kind you would have to check baggage at the airport) or the kind that you can store in the luggage rack on the regular LD amtrak trains. So do they have the same setup on the Hiawathas, do they also have a luggage rack of some sort you can store your suitcases.
Yep. Hiawathas run with some mix of Amfleet and Horizon cars, both of which have luggage shelves/racks at one end of the car as well as overhead racks. If you don't see the luggage rack at the end you first enter, it's at the other end of the car.

If arriving on the Hiawatha in Chicago you can request Redcap assistance if needed from the conductor. This is especially good if you are connecting to another train in Chicago.

Well, didn't cancel my plans after all, still plan on taking the #8 to CHI on 4/10. If on day before, looks like #8 is going to be extremely late, drive down to Milwaukee and catch the commuter train, and be out $60 I guess.

Back