Any updates on NHHS Rail Line?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daybeers

Conductor
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Amtrak Rail Discussion or here, so mods please move it if you feel my placement is incorrect.

I know the work on the line is going well, but I am a bit confused at what parts of the line on the 62-mile run from Springfield to New Haven will still be single tracked. I was trying to look at this track chart, but it was last updated in January 2012. Also, does anyone know about the speeds? Some places claim certain sections will run up to 110mph, but I don't understand why or how that is feasible. It is only 62 miles long, and the distances between the stations are very short. Upgrading the line from its current state as Class 4 up to Class 5 or 6 would cost much more money than its worth in my opinion.

I know CTDOT chose an operator, but they aren't announcing it until April when the contract is finalized. Are people still relatively sure Amtrak will run the line?

Back