421 Texas Eagle vs 21 Texas Eagle - What's the difference?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nirtak

Train Attendant
I'm looking at a trip from Memphis to OKC in May. There are two trip options that show up, the only difference is the middle train - you take either the 421 Texas Eagle or 21 Texas Eagle, leaving Chicago at the exact same time. They appear to be identical trains. What is the difference?

Oops, could I please get a bit of help from a moderator. I meant to add "21" before the second Texas Eagle in the title of this post.

The 21 only goes as far as San Antonio.

3 days a week the 421 goes past San Antonio and all the way to Los Angeles.

On those 3 days in San Antonio the 421 is joined to train #1, the Sunset Limited, and the 2 co-joined trains go to/from LA.

On the return trip the 422 & 2 trains are split in San Antonio with the 422 going to Chicago and the 2 going to New Orleans.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it doesn't matter which train I select since I'm only going to Fort Worth, correct?

Correct.

As said, trains #21 & #22 operate daily between Chicago and San Antonio (stopping in Fort Worth). 3 days a week, "trains" #421 & #422 (which are 1 sleeper and 1 coach of trains #21 & #22) operate between Chicago and LA (of course stopping in Fort Worth).

Oops, could I please get a bit of help from a moderator. I meant to add "21" before the second Texas Eagle in the title of this post.
FYI, thread title changes can be made if you click "Use Full Editor" once you've elected to edit.

Seems like a long trip to go all the way to Chicago to go from Memphis to Oklahoma City. It would take more transfers but I'd think CONO Memphis- New Orleans, SL New Orleans-San Antonio, TE San Antonio-Ft. Worth, HF Ft. Worth-Oklahoma City would be a lot fewer miles although the times may not work well. Maybe a Thruway Bus or two?

Correct.

As said, trains #21 & #22 operate daily between Chicago and San Antonio (stopping in Fort Worth). 3 days a week, "trains" #421 & #422 (which are 1 sleeper and 1 coach of trains #21 & #22) operate between Chicago and LA (of course stopping in Fort Worth).
Is there any distinct advantage of #21 vs #421 as far as the placement of the coach and sleeper cars between CHI and FTW, or for that matter all the way to SAS where they split off? Just curious about the different consists, actually between CHI and LAX.

Correct.

Is there any distinct advantage of #21 vs #421 as far as the placement of the coach and sleeper cars between CHI and FTW, or for that matter all the way to SAS where they split off? Just curious about the different consists, actually between CHI and LAX.
Trains 421 and 422 are only two cars (one sleeper, one coach) that moved from Train 21 to Train 1 (421) and Train 2 to Train 22 (422). This takes place in San Antonio. The 421/422 cars (one coach, one sleeper) are typically, but not always, at the rear of the train. From SAS to LAX both cars are always at the rear of the train.

Friend of mine was on 421 last Friday and it was up front behind the transition car. Cannot figure out why they sometimes have it up front and sometimes on the rear.

Trains 421 and 422 are only two cars (one sleeper, one coach) that moved from Train 21 to Train 1 (421) and Train 2 to Train 22 (422). This takes place in San Antonio. The 421/422 cars (one coach, one sleeper) are typically, but not always, at the rear of the train. From SAS to LAX both cars are always at the rear of the train.
With the 421/422 sleeper car on the end of the train so coach passengers don't have to go through the sleeper car to get to the SSL car and/or the dining car.

The Train #1/#2 sleeper car is usually in front of the dining car between SAS - LAX - SAS, with the #1/#2 coach behind the SSL and in front of the 421/422 coach car.

With the 421/422 sleeper car on the end of the train so coach passengers don't have to go through the sleeper car to get to the SSL car and/or the dining car.

The Train #1/#2 sleeper car is usually in front of the dining car between SAS - LAX - SAS, with the #1/#2 coach behind the SSL and in front of the 421/422 coach car.
Correct, on the Sunset Limited portion the sleeper is at the rear of the train...a few coaches to go through to get to the diner! Having quick access to the "railfan" window is nice!

I believe and when I rode several years ago from Chicago to Los Angeles, there is/was actually ONLY ONE SLEEPER CAR on the Texas Eagle to and from San Antonio. On the three days the sleeper car continues on to LA beyond San Antonio the Sleeper is 321 and on the other four days it is 21 but there is only one sleeper car every day. Since there are multiple coach cars, there will be separate 21 and 321 coaches Chicago to San Antonio and/or Los Angeles.

I believe and and when I rode several years ago from Chicago to Los Angeles, there is actually ONLY ONE SLEEPER CAR on the Texas Eagle to and from San Antonio. On the three days the train continues on to LA beyond San Antonio the Sleeper is 321 and on the other four days it is 21 but there is only one sleeper car every day.

There is only one FULL sleeper. The transition sleeper is also in use for passengers. You said 321 but it is actually 421/422. On days of 422/421, if you choose the 21/22 sleeper, you will be in the transition sleeper.

I believe and and when I rode several years ago from Chicago to Los Angeles, there is actually ONLY ONE SLEEPER CAR on the Texas Eagle to and from San Antonio. On the three days the train continues on to LA beyond San Antonio the Sleeper is 321 and on the other four days it is 21 but there is only one sleeper car every day.

There is only one FULL sleeper. The transition sleeper is also in use for passengers. You said 321 but it is actually 421/422. On days of 422/421, if you choose the 21/22 sleeper, you will be in the transition sleeper.
That makes sense. I've never ridden in the transition sleeper on any Amtrak train so I tend to overlook it.

The Sleeping Car's number going to LAX is 2130 on your ticket, but on the days when the sleeping car only goes to SAS, the Sleeper is 2120 on your ticket. Going to Chicago from LAX the car is 2230. Three days week, when the train is 21/421 combined, you can only buy Roomettes on 21, but all room types if available on 421. As mentioned before the consist is made up of the same number of cars, it is just how they are designated. FYI the 421 Coach car will display 2115 and will be the last coach on the train. It seems like the sleeping car is located behind the Transition Sleeper and before the DC. During the summer more times than not the sleeper can be found on the rear of the train. There is no consistency to how the sleeping car is positioned.

There actually also a "train" 321/322. It is also connected to the TE, but is only a coach that runs between CHI and STL.

Daily 321/322 runs CHI to STL and 21/22 runs CHI to SAS. 3X a week, 421/422 runs CHI to LAX.

Every day, the TE has a full sleeper and the trans-dorm. On those days when it goes only to SAS, both are 21/22. On those 3 days it continues to LA, the full sleeper is 421/422 and the trans-dorm is 21/22.

Watching YouTube videos of eastbound Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle pulling into Palm Springs, the trains have a Transition dorm and a sleeper behind the baggage car and are in front of the dining car.

The most recent video I've found was published late January, 2017.

Consist : loco, loco, baggage, trans dorm, sleeper, dining car, SSL, coach/baggage, coach, coach, sleeper.

Watching YouTube videos of eastbound Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle pulling into Palm Springs, the trains have a Transition dorm and a sleeper behind the baggage car and are in front of the dining car.

The most

The rearmost two cars are 421/422.

I'm seeing a lot of discussion about 21 versus 421, thanks.

I'm a bit confused on which option to choose, 21 or 421. It sounds like one or the other will determine if you are tacked onto the end of the train and have to walk all the way through coach in order to reach the dining and SSL cars, is that correct? Nothing personal, but I would rather not have to walk through the multiple coach cars when having to reach the dining and SSL cars.

Also, what is the trans dorm or transition sleeper?

Transition sleeper is half crew car, half passengers. It also has a low door on one end so it can connect to a single level car like the baggage car.

421/422 is sometimes on the rear and sometimes right behind the transition sleeper. Never can tell.

I have always found the 421/422 rooms cheaper that the 21/22 so that could also be a consideration for you.

Back