Photo

421 Texas Eagle vs 21 Texas Eagle - What's the difference?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

Watching YouTube videos of eastbound Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle pulling into Palm Springs, the trains have a Transition dorm and a sleeper behind the baggage car and are in front of the dining car.

The most recent video I've found was published late January, 2017.

Consist : loco, loco, baggage, trans dorm, sleeper, dining car, SSL, coach/baggage, coach, coach, sleeper.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#22 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

Watching YouTube videos of eastbound Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle pulling into Palm Springs, the trains have a Transition dorm and a sleeper behind the baggage car and are in front of the dining car.
The most recent video I've found was published late January, 2017.
Consist : loco, loco, baggage, trans dorm, sleeper, dining car, SSL, coach/baggage, coach, coach, sleeper.

The rearmost two cars are 421/422.

#23 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,625 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

The trans-dorm & sleepers in front of the Dining Car are "train" 1/2 (NOL-LAX) and the rear sleeper is "train" 421/422 (CHI-LAX).
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#24 nirtak

nirtak

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

I'm seeing a lot of discussion about 21 versus 421, thanks. 

I'm a bit confused on which option to choose, 21 or 421.  It sounds like one or the other will determine if you are tacked onto the end of the train and have to walk all the way through coach in order to reach the dining and SSL cars, is that correct?  Nothing personal, but I would rather not have to walk through the multiple coach cars when having to reach the dining and SSL cars.

Also, what is the trans dorm or transition sleeper?

#25 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

Transition sleeper is half crew car, half passengers. It also has a low door on one end so it can connect to a single level car like the baggage car.

421/422 is sometimes on the rear and sometimes right behind the transition sleeper. Never can tell.

I have always found the 421/422 rooms cheaper that the 21/22 so that could also be a consideration for you.

#26 MikeM

MikeM

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

I just was reading through this thread and got myself confused.  I'm ticketed in April on train 22 in sleeper 2220, room 3.  It didn't give me a 422 train option on this day so assuming it's one of the days without a Sunset Ltd connection.  Am I correct thinking 2220 is the full sleeper?

#27 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

2220 is on a day that does NOT connect with SL.  2230 would be the sleeper that connects from LAX to CHI, Train 422.  

Edited by Lonestar648, 20 March 2017 - 08:46 PM.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

#28 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

Between San Antonio and Chicago the sleeper is always adjacent to the dining/cafe car no matter the train or car number.  Between San Antonio and Los Angeles if you stay on a Texas Eagle through sleeper you will always be the last car on the train and have to walk through coaches and SSL to get to the dining car.  There is a sleeper near the front of the Sunset Limited adjacent to the dining car but it is the New Orleans to Los Angeles sleeper and both the dining car and sightseer lounge on this train is New Orleans to Los Angeles.  

#29 printman2000

printman2000

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,645 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Between San Antonio and Chicago the sleeper is always adjacent to the dining/cafe car no matter the train or car number.  Between San Antonio and Los Angeles if you stay on a Texas Eagle through sleeper you will always be the last car on the train and have to walk through coaches and SSL to get to the dining car.  There is a sleeper near the front of the Sunset Limited adjacent to the dining car but it is the New Orleans to Los Angeles sleeper and both the dining car and sightseer lounge on this train is New Orleans to Los Angeles.  

Not quite correct.

As noted earlier, between San Antonio and Chicago the FULL sleeper is sometimes next to the dining car, and sometimes on the rear. Every time I have ridden during the summer, the full sleeper was on the rear. Friend who was on it last week, the full sleeper was next to the dining car.

#30 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

The only time that it really matters if you are on 421/421 or 21/22 is if you are going beyond San Antonio either way. (Example: Austin to Tuscon or El Paso to Dallas.)

If you were to book 21 connecting to 1 or 2 connecting to 22, you must disembark in San Antonio for an overnight stay (in the far from luxurious station) and wait for the general boarding of the new train. If you were to book on421/422 all the way through, you could sleep in your seat or room all night through the stop!

If your sleeper is 2119/2219 (I think), it is the trans-dorm - which is not put on/off the SL. If you're sleeper is 2120/2220, it's the full sleeper on non-SL days that just go CHI-SAS. If you're sleeper is 2130/2230, it's the full sleeper that goes CHI-LAX, and is switched in SAS between trains.

The full sleeper has Bedrooms A-E and Roomettes 2-14. The trans-dorm only has Roomettes numbered above #17. (It has no bedrooms.)

Edited by the_traveler, 21 March 2017 - 11:30 AM.

Take it easy .......

#31 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,510 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

As you can tell from the posts, it's Amtrak, so to use a lawyers favorite phrase, "It depends!"🤔😄 YMMV

Edited by Bob Dylan, 21 March 2017 - 12:20 PM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#32 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

book on421/422 all the way through, you could sleep in your seat or room all night through the stop!

Yep.

That's why on my eastbound trip in May I'm moving from the 22 sleeper to the 422 in Alpine.

The 2 sleeper had a lower price (about 1/2) from LA to Alpine than the 422 sleeper when I booked several months ago.

Edited by KmH, 22 March 2017 - 10:19 AM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

#33 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

How did you get the 22 sleeper from LAX to Alpine?:huh: Train #22 starts in SAS and goes to CHI. Alpine is BEFORE SAS! (Or did you switching from 2 to 422?)

Edited by the_traveler, 21 March 2017 - 06:40 PM.

Take it easy .......

#34 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

In the summer, 421/422 sleepers are usually higher because of the demand for through rooms.  I am booked on 422 this summer out of LAX to AUS.  A recent check on available rooms showed 1 Bedroom and 1 Roomette remaining to be sold. Imagine this car will be sold out months before we depart mid-July.  In the summer the rooms go fast.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

#35 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

How did you get the 22 sleeper from LAX to Alpine? :huh: Train #22 starts in SAS and goes to CHI. Alpine is BEFORE SAS! (Or did you switching from 2 to 422?)

Finger check - in effective proof read - Train #2,

Edited by KmH, 22 March 2017 - 10:19 AM.

#36 saxman

saxman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Trains, planes, maps, and music

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

I'm seeing a lot of discussion about 21 versus 421, thanks. 

I'm a bit confused on which option to choose, 21 or 421.  It sounds like one or the other will determine if you are tacked onto the end of the train and have to walk all the way through coach in order to reach the dining and SSL cars, is that correct?  Nothing personal, but I would rather not have to walk through the multiple coach cars when having to reach the dining and SSL cars.

Also, what is the trans dorm or transition sleeper?

It doesn't matter. The consist is the same everyday and they put you in the same car regardless. Just book the cheaper option.
Amtrak Miles: 203,395 (as of 9/21/16)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users