Superliner Bedroom A question

29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ken Byrddogg_*

Guest_Ken Byrddogg_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

I recently booked Bedroom A on a Superliner train gojng from NYC to Chicago. I was told this was smaller than the other bedrooms on the train because of it being at the end of the hall and having a cut out for passengers to turn the corner.

Are there any pictures of this room someone is willing to post? Are there any members who have had this room in their travels? Is it really really cramped? Should I avoid it? Would I be better off in the B,C,D,or E rooms?

#2 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,783 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

On which train will you be traveling?  Are you sure it is a superliner going from NYP to Chicago?  Could it be the Lakeshore Limited (a Viewliner)?

Amtrak miles: 203,600; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean; Alaska Railroad Denali Star: 356 miles

#3 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

Never used it but, if you are alone, it might not make a difference. Also, there may or not be other bedrooms available on your trip

Here are some diagrams...the Superliner sleeper is second from the top...

http://www.craigmash...ardiagrams.html

Edited by FrensicPic, 17 March 2017 - 09:04 PM.

John...

22,913 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

6489 more miles booked

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#4 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

Superliners can go through the tunnels to NYP, so if your ticket is NYP to CHI, the train is either the LSL or the Cardinal.  Both have Viewliner Sleeping Cars which only have 2 Bedrooms (A & B).   The Superliner has 5 Bedrooms on the upper level, and Room A on the SUperliners is smaller based on its configuration of the bathroom/shower.  

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

#5 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,625 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:41 PM

You mean that Superlinerscan NOT go into Penn Station. (They are too tall to fit in the tunnels leading to Penn Station.) Both the Lake Shore Limited go directly from Chicago to New York City and use Viewliner (single level) sleepers. The Capitol Limited goes from Chicago to Washington (with a connecting train required to get to NYC) and uses Superliner (2 level) sleepers.

Only on Superliners is bedroom A smaller then the other bedrooms. On Viewliners' both bedrooms A and B are identical in size.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#6 Guest_Ken Byrddogg_*

Guest_Ken Byrddogg_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:00 AM

On which train will you be traveling?  Are you sure it is a superliner going from NYP to Chicago?  Could it be the Lakeshore Limited (a Viewliner)?

Its the Capitol Limited and I misspoke. I'm on a Northeast Regional from NYC-WASH and then on the CL from WASH-CHI.

#7 Guest_Ken Byrddogg_*

Guest_Ken Byrddogg_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:04 AM

You mean that Superlinerscan NOT go into Penn Station. (They are too tall to fit in the tunnels leading to Penn Station.) Both the Lake Shore Limited go directly from Chicago to New York City and use Viewliner (single level) sleepers. The Capitol Limited goes from Chicago to Washington (with a connecting train required to get to NYC) and uses Superliner (2 level) sleepers.

Only on Superliners is bedroom A smaller then the other bedrooms. On Viewliners' both bedrooms A and B are identical in size.

You're right. I misspoke. I'm looking at my itinerary now.

#8 Guest_Ken Byrddogg_*

Guest_Ken Byrddogg_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:09 AM

Its the Capitol Limited going from WASH-CHI. I misspoke. I see the itinerary now.

#9 Guest_Ken Byrddogg_*

Guest_Ken Byrddogg_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

Never used it but, if you are alone, it might not make a difference. Also, there may or not be other bedrooms available on your trip

Here are some diagrams...the Superliner sleeper is second from the top...

http://www.craigmash...ardiagrams.html

This is extremely helpful. Might you know of any photos or Youtube videos that tour the actual Bedroom A?

#10 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,510 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

I've been in Bedroom A on Superliners several times, and,while they are better than a Roomette,all of the other Bedrooms are better when it comes to space. ( when the Couch is in Nightime mode you can't get to the bathroom/shower door which faces,the opposite direction of the other Bedrooms.)

Other considerations are that A is over the trucks,hence it rides rougher, and that since A is next to the Sliding Door on the end of the Sleeper,you can hear the door open and close when passengers come and go from the next car.

I prefer Bedroom E since it is next to the Stairs, by the Coffee Kiosk and only has one Bedroom (D)next to it. (as does A which is the only Bedroom that can't be made into a Suite since there is no connecting door to Bedroom B.)

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#11 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

If you can "modify" your reservation to one of the other bedrooms, I think you would be much happier.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

#12 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

Other considerations are that A is over the trucks,hence it rides rougher, and that since A is next to the Sliding Door on the end of the Sleeper,you can hear the door open and close when passengers come and go from the next car.

Unless the end of a Superliner sleeper car the A bedroom is at - is the end of the train.
In which case the sliding door is disabled and would only be opened by the Conductor.

Edited by KmH, 18 March 2017 - 01:00 PM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#13 Guest_kenbyrddogg_*

Guest_kenbyrddogg_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

If you can "modify" your reservation to one of the other bedrooms, I think you would be much happier.

Yeah, the Amtrak employee I spoke to said that "A" was the least popular of the bedrooms. Maybe I should change it.

#14 Sauve850

Sauve850

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Fly Fishing, Scuba Diving, Travel and Adventure

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

I like bedroom A if traveling alone. No noisy neighbors like the other bedrooms with connecting doors. And they can be noisy. Ive been in A-E and I do not notice the ride to be much rougher in A.  Yes its over the trucks. Nor do I notice the sliding door. And with couch in nighttime mode I have no trouble getting up and using restroom.  Ive done at least 20 coast to coast trips. A is smaller but as a single traveler you really don't notice it.

#15 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

I have traveled in a Superliner Bedroom A on the late and lamented Desert Wind.  It had plenty of room for two people.  Yes, the bathroom door was oriented differently than the other bedrooms, but that posed no issues.  Ride quality?  Saw no difference.  Being the last car on the train, I had the advantage of being able to have easy, quick access to the "train window" at the rear of the car.  This was one of my most memorable Amtrak trips.

#16 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

Rode the Empire Builder in Bedroom A last year.

Other than the orientation of the door to the bathroom (it's near the entry to the bedroom), there's one other difference: The space at the "chair" is significantly smaller than in the other four bedrooms. If you're traveling alone, it's probably not an issue, because you're going to spend time on the couch.

I sat in the chair all the way from Chicago to Portland, and though snug, it was fine (note: the chair *itself* is not smaller, but there's no room between the chair and the bathroom wall.

As mentioned above, I also saw no difference in the ride.

THe longer walk to the stairs and coffee was a non-issue for me. It's, what, 20 feet?

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

#17 Dovecote

Dovecote

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

Add me to the Bedroom A fan club.  The lack of a sliding partition between connecting bedrooms is the perk I like best.  One bad experience with noisy neighbors is one too many.  Soundproofing in A is the best of all possible superliner bedroom choices hands down.

Amtrak Trains Traveled - Acela Express, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Kansas City Mule, Lake Shore Limited, Maple Leaf, Northeast Regional, Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquin, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, and Vermonter.

#18 Guest_kenbyrddogg_*

Guest_kenbyrddogg_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

Rode the Empire Builder in Bedroom A last year.

Other than the orientation of the door to the bathroom (it's near the entry to the bedroom), there's one other difference: The space at the "chair" is significantly smaller than in the other four bedrooms. If you're traveling alone, it's probably not an issue, because you're going to spend time on the couch.

I sat in the chair all the way from Chicago to Portland, and though snug, it was fine (note: the chair *itself* is not smaller, but there's no room between the chair and the bathroom wall.

As mentioned above, I also saw no difference in the ride.

THe longer walk to the stairs and coffee was a non-issue for me. It's, what, 20 feet?

Thanks for your description. I'd like to see a photo of the room but I can't find any online.

#19 George K

George K

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Interests:Ask me!

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for your description. I'd like to see a photo of the room but I can't find any online.

This is NOT bedroom A, but another one (either C or E). Everything about A is the same other than the location of the door to the bathroom, and the space between the seat and the wall. Image the bathroom extending to where the mirror is. That's the space that you lose.

Attached File  iu.jpeg   319.71KB   35 downloads

Attached File  Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 9.42.29 AM.png   224.32KB   40 downloads

Edited by George K, 20 March 2017 - 09:44 AM.

4/1/1955 - NYC "Pacemaker" - NYP to CHI 

9/14 - EB - CHI to PDX , CS - PDX to EMY, CZ - EMY to CHI

3/15 CONO - Round trip 

9/15 CL CHI to WAS, Acela WAS to BOS, LSL BOS to CHI

11/15 CONO - Round trip

5/16 EB - Round trip

12/16 CONO -  Round Trip

5/17 EB - Round trip

10/17 CONO - Round trip

#20 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

This is NOT bedroom A, but another one (either C or E). Everything about A is the same other than the location of the door to the bathroom, and the space between the seat and the wall. Image the bathroom extending to where the mirror is. That's the space that you lose.

attachicon.gifiu.jpeg

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-03-20 at 9.42.29 AM.png

Top notch reply George. Very clear and concise. If we ever get around to creating an Amtrak FAQ this post should be included.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users