sleeper availability for dates in 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crescent2

Conductor
While it is far too early to try to book yet, in checking the Crescent for 2018 dates, all the dates I've checked at random show only 2 roomettes and usually 1 BR available, even though Amsnag shows what I presume is low bucket prices for all these dates. Also, the price shown on Amsnag is a little different (~$20-25) from that shown on amtrak.com for some reason.

Is some sleeper inventory 9-11 months out held for some reason until nearer the date of travel? If so, when is it usually released for booking? Why would only 2 roomettes show as available that far out, when amsnag shows low buckets (I think) for each day?

Two of my friends and I are thinking of making a trip ATN-WAS in the summer or early fall of 2018 if it works out. We'd all need more AGR points, so I was checking prices and points for that reason, as far out as the website allows at present. We'd want 3 roomettes, preferably in the same car if possible, but according to amtrak.com, we'd be totally out of luck if what I saw today is typical. Those in the know, please shed some light on this. Thanks.

Oh, and happy St. Pat's Day!

Most likely what you read was "only 2 left AT THIS PRICE". After two sell at that price, the price changes.for the remaining roomettes. The prices will change up to four times until the roomettes are all really sold.

Most likely what you read was "only 2 left AT THIS PRICE". After two sell at that price, the price changes.for the remaining roomettes. The prices will change up to four times until the roomettes are all really sold.
That would be true if they started at high bucket and only decreased (or started at low bucket and only increased) - that's because there are only 5 buckets. But it's not be that simple.

Last year, Amsnag's Fare Watch was used to track fare decreases (AmSnag doesn't notify of fare increases) for a 6 month period on the LSL from SYR to CHI. During that period AmSnag sent notices of 11 decreases in Roomette fares and 12 decreases in Bedroom fares. With those numbers of decreases there must have been a significant number of increases, but there's no way of knowing how many.

So it is possible to have more than 4 changes - many more. See Post #55 here for the gory details... http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/67069-lake-shore-limited-segment-appears-very-expensive/?hl=%2Blsl+%2Bsegment+%2Bappears+%2Bvery+%2Bexpensive

That would be true if they started at high bucket and only decreased (or started at low bucket and only increased) - that's because there are only 5 buckets. But it's not be that simple.

Last year, Amsnag's Fare Watch was used to track fare decreases (AmSnag doesn't notify of fare increases) for a 6 month period on the LSL from SYR to CHI. During that period AmSnag sent notices of 11 decreases in Roomette fares and 12 decreases in Bedroom fares. With those numbers of decreases there must have been a significant number of increases, but there's no way of knowing how many.

So it is possible to have more than 4 changes - many more. See Post #55 here for the gory details... http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/67069-lake-shore-limited-segment-appears-very-expensive/?hl=%2Blsl+%2Bsegment+%2Bappears+%2Bvery+%2Bexpensive
I am aware of the bucket system but chose not to get into the details of the buckets and "number of times" price goes up or down since that was not the question the topic originator asked. Cresent2 wanted to know if Amtrak.com was saying there was only two roomettes available. That is all he asked and the answer was "No there is not just two roomette remaining". Amtrak.com was stating instead that "only two roomettes remain at the price quoted". While I agree with everything you explained, sometimes too much information is just that -- "too much information".

I am aware of the bucket system but chose not to get into the details of the buckets and "number of times" price goes up or down since that was not the question the topic originator asked. Cresent2 wanted to know if Amtrak.com was saying there was only two roomettes available. That is all he asked and the answer was "No there is not just two roomette remaining". Amtrak.com was stating instead that "only two roomettes remain at the price quoted". While I agree with everything you explained, sometimes too much information is just that -- "too much information".
Agree.

Moderators are free to delete this and my previous post, leaving the casual reader to believe...

• Sleepers will not be available after the fourth price change and

• Once sold out, sleepers will not be available again for that date of travel

...both of which are misleading if not false. Just because crescent2's question wasn't about any of that has no bearing on the matter. The response contained misinformation which I felt deserved correction. But if there's something wrong with doing so, delete to your heart's content.

Back