14 replies to this topic

#1 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

I caught the westbound California Zephyr come through Agency, Iowa this evening about an hour and forty-seven minutes late with only AMTK 822, the Phase III-painted P40DC, as the only locomotive.  There's a report that the other unit, AMTK 145, died after Amtrak #5 left Chicago Union Station.

#2 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:11 PM

They better have something else to stick on it at Denver. Grab the ski train loco maybe? It will lose time with a freight loco.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#3 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

They better have something else to stick on it at Denver. Grab the ski train loco maybe? It will lose time with a freight loco.

Depending on the loco freight trains are capable of going over 80 mph but are restricted to FRA  lower speeds. The Cardinal runs one locomotive and I have been on it when my GPS read over 100 mph. As I understand it, the problem with running one loco is that you lose time during the acceleration phase. This does slow down a trip  that has many station stops .

#4 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:58 PM

My point is I don't believe that train will make it over the mountains with one engine!
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#5 A Voice

A Voice

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

My point is I don't believe that train will make it over the mountains with one engine!

Think that's why #6 made a donation.....  

#6 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • Interests:Car collecting, Train Travel, Model RR, Visiting Historical sights, Cooking, Antiques, but above all love for friends and family.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Yes you are correct. One engine won't do it.  Its a steady 2% grade for about 35 miles before you reach the Moffat tunnel and even with two engines they must handle a heavy workload.

#7 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

Depending on the loco freight trains are capable of going over 80 mph but are restricted to FRA  lower speeds. The Cardinal runs one locomotive and I have been on it when my GPS read over 100 mph. As I understand it, the problem with running one loco is that you lose time during the acceleration phase. This does slow down a trip  that has many station stops .
You must have clocked that on the NEC. Aren't LD trains restricted to 79 or 90 on some small stretches.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,398 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

Technically the NEC is "behind one locomotive). ;)

Yes, between WAS-CHI 50/51 are limited to 79.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#9 Agent

Agent

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

Think that's why #6 made a donation.....  

Right.  #6(15) only had AMTK 154 when it came through Agency, Iowa five and half hours late.  Then it stopped just outside of town so the engineer could copy two warrants from the dispatcher.

#10 dlagrua

dlagrua

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

You must have clocked that on the NEC. Aren't LD trains restricted to 79 or 90 on some small stretches.

IIRC, I used my cell phone GPS speedometer on one Cardinal trip and did see some impressive speeds..  Don't recall exactly where I took the reading on my GPS speedometer but somewhere after departing Indianapolis sticks in my mind. My smartphone GPS is probably not the best tool for measuring speeds.

#11 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,398 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

There is no possible way that you were going anywhere near 100 MPH anywhere near Indy.
Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#12 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

There is no possible way that you were going anywhere near 100 MPH anywhere near Indy.

On the other hand, I did get a smartphone GPS screen capture showing 90 mph between Gallup and Manuelito, NM...and I believe it!

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#13 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

On the other hand, I did get a smartphone GPS screen capture showing 90 mph between Gallup and Manuelito, NM...and I believe it!

The SWC has some 90 mph running in New Mexico, Arizona and California.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/<p> 

#14 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

The SWC has some 90 mph running in New Mexico, Arizona and California.
As well as in both Illinois and Missouri... and it used to in Colorado and Kansas.

#15 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:29 PM

Maximum speed on the CZ anywhere on its run is 79 mph. Same for the CS and the EB and the TE/SL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users