Where to go with 72,500 AGR points?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Judy Martin_*

Guest_Judy Martin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:57 PM

I was a member here for several yearsI don't seem to be able to login. I am just going to put this here because I don't know what else to do I have 72,500 guest reward points what kind of trip could I take for this amount of points?

#2 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

I was a member here for several yearsI don't seem to be able to login. I am just going to put this here because I don't know what else to do I have 72,500 guest reward points what kind of trip could I take for this amount of points?

What you can do with it depends.  The basic rules these days are that the points needed are proportional to the cash fare.  The "value" of a point may be lower on some premium dates around holidays, but there's no longer an absolute blackout.

The other deal is that there's an 800 point minimum for any one-way redemption.  So you could take a lot of short trips with your points.  I redeemed 800 points on an Emeryville to Salinas trip and another 800 on the return.

#3 pennyk

pennyk

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:53 PM

MODERATOR NOTE:  Judy, since your original post was within another topic (overseas booking),  I split it into its own topic together with the reply.

As for as your being unable to post, did you forget your password or username?

Amtrak miles: 215,971; Routes: Silver Meteor, Champion (1973), Silver Star, Auto Train, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited, Adirondack, Vermonter, Cardinal, California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle, Missouri River Runner, Acela Express, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, City of New Orleans, Hiawatha Service, Maple Leaf, Keystone Service, Northeast Regional, Downeaster, Piedmont, Carolinian, Lincoln Service, Autumn Express 2013, Empire Service, Sunset Limited, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor, Pennsylvanian, Illinois Zephyr, Carl Sandburg, Autumn Express 2015, Ethan Allen Express, AEM-7 Excursion, Pacific Surfliner; Lakeshore Limited (BOS-ALB), Autumn Express 2016, Palmetto.

VIA miles: 4,584; Routes: The Canadian (westbound), Ocean; Alaska Railroad Denali Star: 356 miles

#4 chakk

chakk

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:53 AM

I believe the current formula is that 39 AGR points are roughly equivalent to $1 of cash fare.

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

[quote name="chakk" post="702602" timestamp="1490162038"]I believe the current formula is that 39 AGR points are roughly equivalent to $1 of cash fare.[/quote]

I was curious about the ratio that you quoted, so I did a random check on prices on several trips. I came up with 34.5 AGR points per $1.00. I don't know if this is consistent across the board, or if it can change from time to time for whatever reasons.

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

[quote name="Judy Martin" post="701830" timestamp="1489705039"]I was a member here for several yearsI don't seem to be able to login. I am just going to put this here because I don't know what else to do I have 72,500 guest reward points what kind of trip could I take for this amount of points?[/quote]

Where are you wanting to start from, where do you desire to go?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users