Help Support AmtrakTrains.com by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Photo

When will People ever learn about Train Tracks.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zepherdude

zepherdude

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:I love Amtrak, the old Illinois Central and RR nostalgia dayz. I would live on a train if I could. Down with airplanes! Up with Passenger Trains!

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

I found this headline on Facebook as taken from the New York Daily News................

Pregnant Texas 19-year-old woman who aspired to be model killed by train while having photos taken on tracks

Nothing more need be said. She died on the way to the hospital.

Rest in Peace to Both

Edited by zepherdude, 15 March 2017 - 08:59 PM.

I have traveled, Acela, Maple Leaf, California Zephr, Capital Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Amtrak California, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, City of Miami, The Seminole, Florida East Coast and the Panama Limited, Texan Dinner Train, Wabash Canon Ball, New York Subway, Metro North, LIRR, San Francisco Cable Cars, Market Streetcar, St. Louis Streetcars, Prague Trams, (Prazske Tramvaje), Moscow Subway, (Московский метрополитен,) Krakow Glowny, Krakow Plaszow

>>>>>>> Why let your trip fail, always ride the Amtrak Rail! <<<<<<

#2 maxbuskirk

maxbuskirk

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Math, old train schedules

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

They need more training.

I have ridden Cascades #516 (SEA-STW), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-SLO), Southwest Chief #4 (LAX-CHI), Cardinal #50 (CHI-NYP), Northeast Regional #85 (NYP-WAS), Capitol Limited #30 (HFY-WAS), Coast Starlight #14 (LAX-PDX), and many Pacific Surfliners with Amtrak. I have seen, including the previous, California Zephyr #5 at SAC (with luck), what I guess to be Crescent #19 (at WAS) and Silver Meteor #97 (at WAS), and Empire Builder #28 at PDX. I have also ridden the Hokutosei in Japan, Ueno - Sapporo (now discontinued).

#3 FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Interests:Trains, photography and radio communications...not necessarily in that order.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:58 PM

Read an account from another source... "She moved out of the way of the train but was apparently unaware that a Union Pacific train was coming in the opposite direction on the other tracks and was struck."

Neither her nor the photographer were really aware of their surroundings. 

Edited by FrensicPic, 15 March 2017 - 10:13 PM.

John...

29,076 miles on the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, California Zephyr and Capitol Limited.

More miles on the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink, White Pass and Yukon Route, Grand Canyon Railway, Napa Valley Wine Train, Fillmore and Western and private railcars with LARail.com

Photos: http://www.flickr.co...rensicpic/sets/&lt;p&gt; 

#4 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:42 PM

Unfortunately, some people only learn "the hard way"....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#5 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,160 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

1xzct4.jpg

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#6 Palmetto

Palmetto

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:22 AM

Don't cross without looking BOTH WAYS.  One train can hide another.

#7 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:25 AM

The photographer wasn't hurt.

The photographer should be prosecuted as a criminal by the authorities and the woman's family should bring a civil action against the photographer.

http://www.wsmv.com/...-modeling-shoot

Edited by KmH, 16 March 2017 - 09:30 AM.

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#8 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,160 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

The photographer wasn't hurt. The photographer should be prosecuted as a criminal by the authorities and the woman's family should bring a civil action against the photographer. http://www.wsmv.com/story/34899891/texas-woman-struck-by-train-during-modeling-shoot

She was old enough to know what train tracks are and how to avoid being hit by a train.  If she did not possess such a basic understanding of life and death then maybe the family that raised her is to blame.

We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier. 

#9 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

At some point a person's parents have a very tenuous influence on their children's behavior, even if the parents were way better than average at rearing their kid.

From a legal perspective, in many states a person having attained the age of 18 years is considered an 'adult' and is fully responsible for their actions - independent of how they were raised.

And of course, the process of 'natural selection' is such that how a person was raised by their parents doesn't factor at all, and sometimes catches those many think have superior intelligence.

"Everything Greg did, he did extremely well," Coulter said. "This isn't anyone who ever took a nap."

http://www.cbsnews.c...ce-about-death/

1963U. S. Congress - underground trolley system • Disneyland train (1968/various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr Coast Starlight •  Southwest ChiefSunset LimitedTexas Eagle • Illinois Zephyr

. . . . . . . Amtrak miles - 16,383, so far.

#10 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:48 PM

At some point a person's parents have a very tenuous influence on their children's behavior, even if the parents were way better than average at rearing their kid.

From a legal perspective, in many states a person having attained the age of 18 years is considered an 'adult' and is fully responsible for their actions - independent of how they were raised.

And of course, the process of 'natural selection' is such that how a person was raised by their parents doesn't factor at all, and sometimes catches those many think have superior intelligence.

So very true. I thought I taught my kid how to safely cross a street. Cross at the corner, stay within the crosswalk lines, be aware of cars not following the rules (like exercising their right to turn on a red, and when doing so, never actually looking to their right to see if their direction of travel is clear), wait for the "walk" sign, and so on.

A year ago, took him on his college visit, which was in the big city. While we needed to cross a busy city street, he steps right off the curb! I grabbed him and pulled him back. At 18, he got a long, long lecture reminding him of the rules of crossing a street, especially if he wanted to go to a college with a split-campus located in the middle of a big city.
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#11 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:33 AM

I can't imagine myself getting struck by a train like that girl, but im sure, neither could she. I doubt it had anything to do with her upbringing.

#12 ehbowen

ehbowen

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

And, if you really want a picture on or around railroad tracks or equipment, you can usually get what you want in perfect safety by approaching your local railroad museum or the public relations department of many railroads. You will have to pay a photo session fee, but when you look at that cost weighed against the potential cost of your life....

broadside-1.jpg 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users