#41 neroden

neroden

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts
  • Interests:Please feel free to moderate my posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

I've said this before, but I get severely motion-sick on airplanes -- and not in trains.  This is one of the more important reasons for me.  I literally have to look out the window through the entire plane flight to avoid being nauseated, which means I cannot fly without a window seat, ever.

--Nathanael--

Please feel free to moderate my posts.

#42 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:53 AM

You people need to educate yourselves on how airplanes actually work and stop spreading dumb stuff like this.

Air inside the fuselage is changed over many, many times per hour.

Its a filthy, disgusting, dehumanizing, degrading experience that people accept like sheep.   What does that tell you?

It tells me that you're a poorly educated, narrow minded person that can't think outside of your own experience and can't imagine a world where it is acceptable for people to hold differing viewpoints and have different priorities.

Perhaps you should talk less and listen more to the people around you and try and understand their viewpoint rather than insult them constantly.

LOL, oh Ryan I don't agree with everything that you write, but because of your calling out the dumb posts, I can hold my tongue and not get banned  :P

#43 Philly Amtrak Fan

Philly Amtrak Fan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:28 AM

I've said this before, but I get severely motion-sick on airplanes -- and not in trains.  This is one of the more important reasons for me.  I literally have to look out the window through the entire plane flight to avoid being nauseated, which means I cannot fly without a window seat, ever.

I have thrown up on airplanes, not once but twice.

Trains Traveled:

Broadway Limited (CHI-Harrisburg, PA) 
Three Rivers (Harrisburg, PA-CHI, Altoona, PA-CHI, PHL-CHI)
Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS)
Lake Short Limited (NYP-CHI)
Silver Meteor (PHL-ORL)
Southwest Chief (CHI-LAX)
California Zephyr (CHI-SLC, SLC-EMY)
City of New Orleans and/or Illini (CHI-Champaign, IL)

All I want for Amtrak is a direct train from Philly to Chicago in less than 24 hours 

#44 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

I'm a lifelong train enthusiast. I'll take train travel over cars and planes! The train seats are very comfortable, and I find trains to be safer than cars and planes!

#45 railgeek

railgeek

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Rail travel and rail-fanning (obviously). Outlaw country music. Thai food. Black and White darkroom photography. My kid. Reading.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

I ride the train for the journey not the destination. I love being able to shut myself up in a sleeper and watch the world go by.

I've been in horrid delays and even a derailment, but I'd still take rail travel over flying.  Flying is a necessary evil to get someplace quickly.

I used to take cross country train trips just about every year when I was single and didn't have a kid.  Now I can't go as often only about every three years but it is worth the weight.

I've taken

SWC: ABQ-CHI

CZ: CHI-SLC; SLC-CHI; CHI-EMY;

EB: CHI-SPK; CHI-SEA; SEA-PDX; PDX-CHI

CL: WAS-CHI; RKV-CHI; CHI-RKV;

AKRR: Anchorage-Fairbanks; Fairbanks-Anchorage;

VIA: Vancouver-Toronto  

Next up CS: SEA-BUR

#46 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:34 AM

I'm a lifelong train enthusiast. I'll take train travel over cars and planes! The train seats are very comfortable, and I find trains to be safer than cars and planes!

Planes are safer than trains, but the difference is slight.

Both are much safer than cars. :)

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#47 VAtrainfan

VAtrainfan

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Travel (by air or rail or highway), roller coasters

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

When I had the choice of plane or train, my choice depended on a few factors: 

If my goal was to see the city at the endpoint and/or a person in that city, I flew so I'd have more time in that city/with that person. When you only have a week for vacation and you're dying to see some new city or a friend you haven't seen in five years, time is more important than scenery.

If my goal was to see the scenery along the route and/or experience a new train, I took Amtrak. In those cases, the train was the vacation.

This! I have enjoyed my Amtrak trips so far, and I'm itching to take a LD train someday, but my vacation time comes in fits and starts, so it's mostly flying for me unless I decide to take a quick round trip (1-2 days out, 1-2 days back) on a LD train just for the experience of the train itself.

#48 SarahZ

SarahZ

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,811 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, baking, local history, urban exploration, music, dancing, and looking for new adventures

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

When I had the choice of plane or train, my choice depended on a few factors: 

If my goal was to see the city at the endpoint and/or a person in that city, I flew so I'd have more time in that city/with that person. When you only have a week for vacation and you're dying to see some new city or a friend you haven't seen in five years, time is more important than scenery.

If my goal was to see the scenery along the route and/or experience a new train, I took Amtrak. In those cases, the train was the vacation.

This! I have enjoyed my Amtrak trips so far, and I'm itching to take a LD train someday, but my vacation time comes in fits and starts, so it's mostly flying for me unless I decide to take a quick round trip (1-2 days out, 1-2 days back) on a LD train just for the experience of the train itself.

Yup! If I were retired or had lots of vacation time, not to mention money, I'd take LD trains almost every time I wanted to go somewhere. :)

Amtrak Miles: 39,318

Amtrak Routes: Blue Water, California Zephyr, Capitol Limited, Carl Sandburg, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Crescent, Empire Builder, Hiawatha, Illinois Zephyr, Lincoln Service, Southwest Chief, Texas Eagle, Wolverine

Metropolitan Rail: Chicago Metra, Chicago L, Dallas TRE, Detroit People Mover, New Orleans RTA, San Francisco MUNI, Seattle Monorail, South Shore Line (NICTD), Toronto Subway & RT, Washington DC Metro

#49 CSXfoamer1997

CSXfoamer1997

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

How are planes safer than trains? I hardly ever see jet crashes with any survivors.

#50 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

How are planes safer than trains? I hardly ever see jet crashes with any survivors.
Gimly glider
Miracle on the Hudson
British Airways 38...
Need I go on?

#51 keelhauled

keelhauled

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

On a per passenger mile basis air travel is statistically safer. But if you want to use apocrypha instead, the last fatal crash in the US was Asiana in San Francisco in 2013, which killed 3, while Amtrak 188 crashed in 2015 and killed 8.

Go on, raise the flag, I got stars in my eyes...I'm in love with her and I won't apologize.

#52 CCC1007

CCC1007

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

On a per passenger mile basis air travel is statistically safer. But if you want to use apocrypha instead, the last fatal crash in the US was Asiana in San Francisco in 2013, which killed 3, while Amtrak 188 crashed in 2015 and killed 8.
And one of the fatalities at SFO was caused by a fire truck.

#53 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,853 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

And in the Asiana crash one fatality was by getting run over by a fire truck as I recall.

#54 seat38a

seat38a

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, And Web App Development

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:09 PM

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

#55 Dakota 400

Dakota 400

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

The recent take-off issue that the charter plane that the University of Michigan's Basketball team was on when it aborted take-off, slid off a runway, went through a fence, and stopped in a ditch.  Even one of their Assistant Coaches has expressed thanksgiving for such a positive end of their experience.

#56 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:19 AM

Look up actual statistics. Don't just rely on what you feel to be true.

#57 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,853 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

I travel by train because I like to travel by train. I also fly, because I like to fly. Any questions? ;)

To ride trains I go through incredible trials and travails of dealing with multiple hours and sometimes days of delays with unpredictable service. To fly I suffer through issues like TSA. In both cases to some extent I buy myself out of unpleasantnesses. While riding trains, when it gets stuck somewhere I tend to bail and fly on to the destination if I can. To work around the TSA lines, I become member of Global Entry and Clear, and such.

At the end of the day I figure out ways of doing what I like to do within my means of course. And I really do not need to make excuses to justify what I do not like to do, like for example watching American Football ;) . I just don't do them. And I don't have to cast aspersions on those who like to do those things to try to justify my doing the things I like to do. Each to their own.

Edited by jis, 20 March 2017 - 12:30 PM.

#58 ScouseAndy

ScouseAndy

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

I travel by trains to maximise my vacation time and to avoid paying city centre hotel fees as well as avoiding wasting my valuable time away from the office sat in airport departure lounges. By grabbing an overnight train it allows me to fill my time during the days sightseeing.

Sadly I'm in the minority as more and more national rail networks are cutting over night trains due to lack of demand :(

#59 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts
  • Interests:Mechanized Travel

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

I travel by train mainly for nostalgia.  They're relaxing and fun and a great way to travel green.  But really it's nostalgia for my youth that is the primary factor.  I grew up in a town that had (freight) trains passing through every few minutes and I found them fascinating.  I started riding Amtrak at a very young age and despite the deteriorating service levels the fundamental appeal of riding a train has never really dissipated for me.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 20 March 2017 - 12:45 PM.

I'd rather be a glass half empty than a glass half fool.

#60 ainamkartma

ainamkartma

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

I travel by train by choice because I am forced to fly more than enough for work.  I find flying stressful and enervating, and I want to relax on vacation, so taking the relaxing train is a far more desirable way to spend _my_ time.  All the better if my friends or family take the train with me!

Ainam "New Mexico: at least 12 hours from anywhere by plane" Kartma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users