advice on taking beer on long distance routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s10mk

Train Attendant
Hello everyone,

In may, I'll be taking CL from pittsburgh to chicago, and I will be making a big loop around the country on the CZ, coast starlight, SWC, and I'll finally return to pittsburgh on the CL. I'll have my own roomette for the trip, and I was wondering who takes their own beer? And what kind of cooler do you use to keep it cold?

I don't want to take a case of beer with me, and I especially don't want that size of cooler either. I'm trying to travel light. But I think it would be nice to grab a six pack in my connection cities. And whenever/ where ever that runs out, I'll just buy beer from the cafe car. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I first drank warm beer because that's what the "trolley" sold on the trains in Great Britain, and grew to actually like it.

Otherwise, I think a six-pack sized cooler would not be too inconvenient to bring in a Roomette, as long as you are within the baggage guidelines. The SCA will get ice for you.

For what it's worth, this is what "Ask Julie" says about maximum cooler size:

"Coolers no larger than 12 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches may be brought onboard as a personal item."

I would note that common small coolers like an Igloo Island Breeze 9 are slightly larger than 12 inches in at least one dimension. I doubt it will ever be an issue with something that small, but I thought I'd put it out there. It's not really all that specific if a cooler might substitute for a carry-on item rather than a personal item.

Luggage is luggage, so bring as big a cooler as you think you need. The real limitation is what will comfortably fit in your roomette. I'd suggest at least a 12-pack – the beer on Amtrak long distance trains isn't stellar and is expensive.

I have found, a bag cooler is just the thing. It folds up small, yet can easily hold a 12 pack. I t put it on top of my clothes in my carry on folded and empty. Beer I bring warm, then get ice on board. When done bag folds back up for easy carry when I get off. Perfect solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found, a bag cooler is just the thing. It folds up small, yet can easily hold a 12 pack. I t put it on top of my clothes in my carry on folded and empty. Beer I bring warm, then get ice on board. When done bag folds back up for easy carry when I get off. Perfect solution.
Thanks! I hadn't considered that the SCA would be able to get ice. Is that much of a hastle for them? Plus, the foldable cooler is definitely the way to go. A 12 pack should be perfect for CZ and the SWC.

A few years ago I bought one of these and really like it:

https://smile.amazon.com/Polar-Bear-Coolers-Nylon-Pack/dp/B000NVWPPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489495280&sr=8-1&keywords=polar%2Bcooler%2Bbag&th=1

When flying one way and taking the train back, I've used this as a carryon bag (with books or boots or other bulky stuff). The 12-pack size stacks nicely on a roller suitcase and comfortably holds 6 bottles and ice, with room to spare for a bit of food or other beverage. Fits well on the roomette step leading up to the upper bunk.

Best to stock it with ice BEFORE getting on the train, at home and/or at lounge at the station where you'll board. Ice isn't consistently available on board, although it's supposed to be.

Since you're starting your trip and visiting major cities, you'll be able to shop for your needs close to the Stations.

For example, the Walgreens and CVS close to Union Station carry alcohol including Wine, but there are plenty of liquor and discount stores in these cities if you decide you want more options.

I wouldn't limit my choice to just beer, a cocktail,liquore or a glass of wine is just the thing while relaxing in your room. Be aware that officially you can't consume alcohol in public areas aboard Amtrak, but if you are discreet and use a drink container who's to know your enjoying adult beverages?!!

Ice is not as easy to get as it used to be. I liked it when they would leave a cooler full out to use as needed but hats over, supposedly due to FDA requirements. Some attendants have no problem getting me ice, others suggested I go to the diner to get it myself, which the diner crew seems to hate. But never not got what I needed.

Luggage is luggage, so bring as big a cooler as you think you need. The real limitation is what will comfortably fit in your roomette.
The real limitation is what you can reasonably carry. Although some SCA's will offer to assist with your luggage you should still be prepared for the possibility that you may need to drag your cooler and beers up a cramped winding staircase on your own. You could leave it in the luggage rack but then you're risking getting other people's luggage wet as things are moved around to make room and retrieve bags.

I'd suggest at least a 12-pack – the beer on Amtrak long distance trains isn't stellar and is expensive.
Agreed. Amtrak tends to stock generic brands at high prices. They also never seem to know what they actually have. You'll ask for one the non-generic option, they'll give you a name and brand, and then when they return it's either something completely different or they're just completely out. Even at the start of the trip. No idea how that happens but it's been common on my trips.

Agreed. Luggage rules are constantly changing and variably enforced. Having a foldable cooler makes it easy to carry and comply.

Thanks! I hadn't considered that the SCA would be able to get ice. Is that much of a hastle for them?
You'll know if it's a hassle by the reaction of the SCA. Either they'll be happy to help or they'll tell you to go get it yourself.

Yeti Hopper Flip 12. Fits the dimensions and holds a 12 pack with 2:1 Ice:Beer ratio. Keeps ice "for days".

But it's $280. You can buy a lot of beer from the Cafe' car for that.

On long distance trains west of Chicago I have seen OBS, including Conductors, observe coach passengers at their seat consuming obviously not-available-on-the-train alcoholic beverages in plain sight. The OBS didn't react at all and just kept doing what they were doing.

I've also seen passengers in the SSL car doing the same, like poring vodka from a personal stock bottle into the cup of orange juice they just bought down in the Café - with the same reaction from OBS - indifference.

None the less, being discrete is good advice.

Over indulging and causing problems or becoming obnoxious in any way, even if alcohol isn't involved, will greatly increase your chance of being put off the train.

People get thrown off of trains for being drunk and disorderly. Never seen or heard of one getting thrown off for holding a plastic cup with alcohol of unknown origin in it. Never seen an employee even question it. Even to the point of passing a bottle a wine back and forth between seats, or sitting in the lower level of the cafe car with a couple of friends, also sharing a bottle of wine.

Don't let the rules junkies on this board spoil cocktail hour for you.

Don't actually do that, unless you like watching the train pull away from you while you stand somewhere you didn't intend end the train portion of your trip.

Since you're starting your trip and visiting major cities, you'll be able to shop for your needs close to the Stations.

For example, the Walgreens and CVS close to Union Station carry alcohol including Wine, but there are plenty of liquor and discount stores in these cities if you decide you want more options.

I wouldn't limit my choice to just beer, a cocktail,liquore or a glass of wine is just the thing while relaxing in your room. Be aware that officially you can't consume alcohol in public areas aboard Amtrak, but if you are discreet and use a drink container who's to know your enjoying adult beverages?!!
Now I really think you're on to something here bob. Not only will I grab some beer in chicago, I'll also get a bottle of wine to start my trip. Then all I have to do is find a little deli/ grocery store to buy some capicola, solami, sopressata, and cheese to go along with my wine. :)

Yeti Hopper Flip 12. Fits the dimensions and holds a 12 pack with 2:1 Ice:Beer ratio. Keeps ice "for days".

But it's $280. You can buy a lot of beer from the Cafe' car for that.
Lol, that would buy roughly 46 beers from the cafe car, homer Simpson couldn't even drink THAT much beer on the CZ

On long distance trains west of Chicago I have seen OBS, including Conductors, observe coach passengers at their seat consuming obviously not-available-on-the-train alcoholic beverages in plain sight. The OBS didn't react at all and just kept doing what they were doing. I've also seen passengers in the SSL car doing the same, like poring vodka from a personal stock bottle into the cup of orange juice they just bought down in the Café - with the same reaction from OBS - indifference.
That's been my experience as well.

Check out the 2:27 mark in the following video.

Agreed. Where you get your liquor from is a lot less important than level of intoxication. Drink responsibly and don't get belligerent or antisocial and you'll be fine. Buying Amtrak liquor or drinking in your room isn't going to save you from being a drunken pest toward other passengers and staff.

The conductors often emphasise the need for a "family atmosphere" aboard their train, and I think this is a good phrase.

I did notice one of the "bag" type coolers had a 48 can size! How anyone could even lift that is beyond me! :D

Cheers!

Ed.

I have seen more than once the train make an unscheduled stop to meet a Sheriff at a crossing to pick up someone the Conductor was putting off for being drunk and disorderly. Plenty of people enjoy their personal beer and wine in their room and never a problem, but unfortunately there are a few who go to far.

None the less, being discrete is good advice.
OP is in a roomette. Perfectly within the rules.
Literally the sentence above what you selectively quoted discussed drinking in somewhere other than a roomette, which is not "perfectly within the rules".
The discussion is mostly about being drunk in a public place. Getting wasted is hardly being discreet, regardless of the source of the alcohol. While it may not be perfectly within the rules, I've found that Amtrak personnel aren't typically sticklers for following every single rule if it makes things more difficult. They're not going to go crazy over an item being an inch over the carry-on size limit, and some have told me that they'll look the other way over personal alcohol as long as the passenger isn't intoxicated.

Right up until the point where one of them decides to be for no good reason, then you're in a bad place.

Do plenty of people do it without issue? Absolutely.

Have I? Sure.

Should we make sure that people that show up here understand what the rules are and make an informed decision for themselves? Of course.

Right up until the point where one of them decides to be for no good reason, then you're in a bad place.

Do plenty of people do it without issue? Absolutely.

Have I? Sure.

Should we make sure that people that show up here understand what the rules are and make an informed decision for themselves? Of course.
Totally agree - on my trip I wasn't aware of the rules, I should have been but wasn't - I travelled for 4 days/3 nights and drank my own stock both in the SSL and my seat and nothing was uttered but on the final night on the Sunset Ltd prior to arriving in LA when the conductors changed the new shift made it perfectly clear repeatedly over the tannoy that drinking in public places would not be tolerated and I had the sense to heed the friendly (and not so friendly) announcements from the off, sadly a couple of my fellow passengers where not so sensible and never made it to LA that night/morning.

On the final night on the Sunset Ltd prior to arriving in LA when the conductors changed the new shift made it perfectly clear repeatedly over the tannoy that drinking in public places would not be tolerated and I had the sense to heed the friendly (and not so friendly) announcements from the off, sadly a couple of my fellow passengers where not so sensible and never made it to LA that night/morning.
Just to be clear to new riders, drinking in public places is both tolerated and encouraged on Amtrak. In fact there is no passenger accessible area of the train that is off limits to drinking. The rule is that you need to buy your liquor from Amtrak's stock. That being said, becoming drunk and disruptive to other passengers is likely to result in being put off the train regardless of where you bought or drank your liquor.

Back