7 replies to this topic

#1 Pooh2

Pooh2

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:36 AM

I applied the for card and received the bonus points with a trip in mind for this summer. Looks like the timing will not work out until next year for the trip. If I close the credit card, do I lose the points?

It is the card with the fee otherwise I would just leave it open. 

#2 DoB

DoB

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:06 AM

Once the points have posted to your AGR account, they're yours to keep.

Without the credit card, however, you do need to keep the AGR expiration policy in mind. Or just apply for the no-fee card and your points will never expire as long as you keep the card open.

#3 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,408 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

I think even without the credit card, your points never expire. However, you will not not be eligible for the 5% points rebate on a reward redemption without the credit card.
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#4 PRR 60

PRR 60

Engineer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

I think even without the credit card, your points never expire. However, you will not not be eligible for the 5% points rebate on a reward redemption without the credit card.

Points do not expire as long as there is account activity within 36 months. That activity can be anything that adds or subtracts points - Amtrak travel, partner activity, transfers in or out - anything.  If an account has no activity for three years, the points will expire.

#5 Pooh2

Pooh2

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

Okay, thanks for the info. 

I was thinking of closing the account before the annual fee hits then trying for the no annual fee card to keep the points active until we can use them.

#6 desertflyer

desertflyer

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

Bank of America can probably move you to the no annual fee card if you ask. Or they might waive the fee if asked. Barclays has waived my American Airlines fee for the last 5 years when asked, although some representatives are more willing than others.

#7 gatelouse

gatelouse

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

Even the no-fee card gives a 5% point rebate on redemptions, so it's worth having at redemption time.

Applying for the no-fee card should yield the 12,000 point signing bonus. Switching to the no-fee card will definitely result in no such bonus.
Ridden, now gone: 3 Rivers 10/6 sleeper; SL East; Pennsy to CHI; Superliner Card; Shoreliner sleeper; Heritage Adirondack; Metroclub; NE Direct inland NHV-SPG-BOS

#8 desertflyer

desertflyer

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

Applying for the no-fee card should yield the 12,000 point signing bonus. Switching to the no-fee card will definitely result in no such bonus.

Sometimes these sign-up bonuses won't work if you've had a similar card in the past X-number of months, to avoid abuse. It is also worth noting that applying for a new card will cause a hard pull on your credit. Some people may want to avoid that. For me (<30 years old), every hard pull has a 20-30 point negative impact on my credit score. But you do make good points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users