Booking from overseas

24 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_C_*

Guest_C_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

I've traveled overseas before so know the drill in booking flights and train tickets (but in the UK and you usually book them as soon as they become available or the price goes up. Saying that I think you can only book 2-3 months in advance, however I could be wrong!). 

Thing is I've read that it's usual best to book Amtrak tickets as soon as they are available. I've also seen when doing to search for Feb next year which is 11 months out the cheapest fairs are already available so if it's the lowest fair I would not think they are going cheaper?

I'm not going to book a room as I'm on somewhat of a budget so would be going economy - I do love an adventure :).

#22 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

Thing is I've read that it's usual best to book Amtrak tickets as soon as they are available. I've also seen when doing to search for Feb next year which is 11 months out the cheapest fairs are already available so if it's the lowest fair I would not think they are going cheaper?

Prices sometimes go down.  There are even the occasional fare sales.  However, if you're planning a big trip I wouldn't rely on being able to find the cheapest fare via a sale.

#23 caravanman

caravanman

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Open minded travel, in which the journey is often as interesting as the destination...

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:49 AM

I think the big price shifts are in roomette/sleeper prices, so booking your coach seats as soon as possible seems a sensible plan.

Ed.

#24 Guest_Carmy_*

Guest_Carmy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Thank you very much for all your help :)

#25 BCL

BCL

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

That really depends on the route.  There are some Amtrak (or affiliated) routes that effectively aren't "reserved".  They call them "unreserved trains" even though you can buy a ticket that specifies a date and train number.  They will theoretically use advance ticket sales to determine how many cars to place in service.  The fares don't change on these routes except for fare sales and various discount codes.  An unused ticket can theoretically be used any time on the day specified on the ticket up to a year afterwards.  One also has the flexibility to use a monthly or multi-ride pass on these routes.  They will also sell tickets on board the train, although there's a surcharge if there was means to buy a ticket at the origin station.  I've never heard of such a train "selling out" and I don't believe it's normally possible.

If you're using a rail pass segment, it doesn't really matter what the retail fare is.  However, they have limits on the number of tickets that can be obtained via the pass.

https://www.amtrak.c...h-usa-rail-pass

Reservations for train travel should be made as far in advance as possible; seats available for USA Rail Pass passengers are limited on each train. We do not recommend waiting until the day of departure to make your reservations since there is a greater chance that seats allocated for the USA Rail Pass may not be available on your desired train. If your plans are not flexible, non-USA Rail Pass seats may be available at an additional cost.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users