3 replies to this topic

#1 CHamilton

CHamilton

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Rail gets a B--"adequate for now"--but "U.S. rail still faces clear challenges, most notably in passenger rail"

http://www.infrastru.../cat-item/rail/

Amtrak can be better! Tell your local, state and national elected officials to support a more robust rail system. Join NARP and your local rail advocacy organization.
Where you'll find my posts: // All Aboard Washington (websiteFacebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (websiteFacebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas

#2 MARC Rider

MARC Rider

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

I wonder about their scoring system. We're just finishing a winter where multiple major transcontinental freight lines have been shut down for days at a time because of snowstorms, flooding, etc. that are overwhelming routes that were laid out in the 19th century. Imaine if our highway system consisted only of pre-interstate routes.

#3 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,877 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

The post interstate highways have been equally affected as the rail trunk routes. So I am not sure what the original date of construction has to do with weather driven disruptions. The thing with roads is there are many more bypass routes available in many cases.

#4 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,653 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

I wonder how China compares with us....

I don't know much about them, other than some reports I've seen where their economy seems to be booming, and they seem to be able to build all new super railways, highways, and other infrastructure at an amazing rate....

I realize their totalitarian government eliminates all the "red-tape" that inhibits us, but still it is amazing to me how they seem to be doing...

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users