Northeast Snowstorm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor
As of now, 4-6 inches of snow is forecast along the coastal Northeast most of the way from New Jersey through Rhode Island. Is it likely that this will cause delays and/or cancellations? The long range forecasts are also predicting another snow storm on Monday night/Tuesday, which may be even larger. Most of Friday's snow will likely remain on the ground with temperatures remaining below freezing, causing potential accumulations of a foot or more in some locations.

I doubt 4-6 inches will be a problem, but there are high winds with it - or icing - then all bets are off.

In North Jersey the forecast for this weekend is down to 1-3" which is unlikely to cause any problem. The Tuesday event is now forecast to be 5-8" which should also not be any problem for that area.
That second storm looks likely to be the one to cause more damage. It is too far away too tell exact amounts, but some models are predicting as much as 18 inches along the southern NEC.

Amtrak should be able to handle it just fine, the airline I fly for, not so much! If we get was is foretasted for NJ, it will be just enough to make the last day, of a 4 day trip miserable! :(

More like 10 inches in Boston. They have those big snow-blower trains don't they? How quickly do they typically clear things along NER? Should I schedule my trip for just after, say Thursday?

Today, here in Boston it has been snowing lighty since 7:00 am, and hardly any accumulation as of this post (noon).

The bigger weather news here is extreme cold for the weekend, and a chance of significant snow Tuesday into Wednesday.

Ken

More like 10 inches in Boston. They have those big snow-blower trains don't they? How quickly do they typically clear things along NER? Should I schedule my trip for just after, say Thursday?
They don't use those on the NEC. They do have a jet engine switch cleaner but that can be deployed.

As for your trip, sometimes the days immediately after the snow is worse than the actual snow storm.

That "significant snow Tuesday" is what I am worried about.
Keep an eye on necn weather, via the internet.

As of Saturday morning the forecast has snow starting late Monday evening, snowing all day Tuesday, and ending Wednesday morning, with high winds.

The amount of snow all depends on the track, but the storm is being considered a noreaster, with winds as much an issue as snow.

As we say in Boston, a Wicked Stom.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Tuesday-Wednesday-Storm-Preview-415888213.html

Ken

As of this morning, our weather service says we will get a 1-3" snowfall Monday night into Tuesday morning. But this "clipper" will meet up with your Northeast storm and could be a significant event. We will send our snow front over the "Great Mountain" to those of you on the east coast who appreciate large snow storms.. :eek:

The word now seems to be, if it tracks along a path projected by the European Model it could become one for the record books. But it is too early to be certain about the path and things could change.
Sandy has meet her match? :eek:

Latest forecast I saw this morning was that where I am (northern DE), I'm on the edge of the 'change over to rain' Either way, lots of moisture.

That "significant snow Tuesday" is what I am worried about.
Keep an eye on necn weather, via the internet.

As of Saturday morning the forecast has snow starting late Monday evening, snowing all day Tuesday, and ending Wednesday morning, with high winds.

The amount of snow all depends on the track, but the storm is being considered a noreaster, with winds as much an issue as snow.

As we say in Boston, a Wicked Stom.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Tuesday-Wednesday-Storm-Preview-415888213.html

Ken

The word now seems to be, if it tracks along a path projected by the European Model it could become one for the record books. But it is too early to be certain about the path and things could change.
If it gets that bad, there will be cancellations. Keep an eye on the website starting tomorrow.

Back