78 replies to this topic

#61 west point

west point

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Atlanta is a hot mess right now, and there is absolutely no chance of dropping/picking up cars there on a regular basis until significant track work revision is done around Peachtree Station or the station is moved somewhere else.

Absolutely it is a mess. If you want to seethe main problem click on the link below and zoom in about 10-12 times to Atlanta Peachtree station. Then follow line WSW to Howell interlocking. Study the track layout and note how CSX crosses the NS two double tracks. CSX fouls this CP because of yard work at their Atlanta Tilford yard + old SAL line.

http://fragis.fra.do...v/GISFRASafety/

Station work at the Amtrak station would probably take $1,4 - 2.0 M to fix

#62 railiner

railiner

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,650 posts
  • Interests:All public transportation....land, sea, and air

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:59 PM

I think the most successful addition of an overnite train, would be on the Empire route.

There is fairly frequent service over it during the day, but a pretty significant gap between the last train of the day, and the first of the next day.   People on that corridor are constantly moving around, there are a huge number of colleges and universities that contribute heavily to the traffic, and if there was an extension on to Toronto, it would do very well....  

I do recall they ran a weekly overnite train, with a connection to Toronto some years ago, but for some reason, it didn't last very long...perhaps people did not like transferring at Niagara Falls...

People who use the bus on that corridor much prefer the overnite for thru travel....

metroblue?

okay on the blue!

#63 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:12 PM

Anderson, Great thanks for these calculations and explanations.

I'll have questions and points to make, soon, I hope. But it's too late at night now for me to make any sense!

Thanks again.

#64 ainamkartma

ainamkartma

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:53 AM

Atlanta is a hot mess right now, and there is absolutely no chance of dropping/picking up cars there on a regular basis until significant track work revision is done around Peachtree Station or the station is moved somewhere else.

Absolutely it is a mess. If you want to seethe main problem click on the link below and zoom in about 10-12 times to Atlanta Peachtree station. Then follow line WSW to Howell interlocking. Study the track layout and note how CSX crosses the NS two double tracks. CSX fouls this CP because of yard work at their Atlanta Tilford yard + old SAL line.

Isn't the obvious place to drop cars from the Crescent not Atlanta, but Anniston, AL, where the cars could sit for seven hours before being picked up by the northbound Crescent and there is what appears to be an unused two ended siding with existing turnouts right next to the Amtrak station?

(Or Birmingham, for that matter, where there would only be a two and half hour layover for the cars, but there are scads of idle platform tracks.  I imagine Amtrak could not reliably make a two point five hour connection, though.)

Ainamkartma

#65 ainamkartma

ainamkartma

Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:01 AM

This would give us the following:
-Lake Shore Limited: FY17's PPR was $248, so we're looking at $198.40/passenger times 13.5 pax/sleeper times 1.4.  Revenue per frequency is thus $3750, or $2.737m/yr (or $912k/car).
-Crescent: FY17's PPR was $288, so we're looking at $230.40/passenger.  Per the above math this gives us $4355/frequency or $3.179m/yr (or $795k/car).  NB I think this may be a bit high due to extreme pricing pressure north of Atlanta.
-Silver Meteor: FY17's PPR was $317, so we're looking at $253.60/passenger.  Per the math above this gives $4793/frequency or $3.499m/yr (or $875k/car).
-Silver Star: Starting figure is $190, giving us $152/passenger.  Per the adjusted math above this gives $4104/frequency or $2.996m/yr (or $750k/car).
-Cardinal: Starting figure is $236, giving us $188.80.  Per the math above this gives us $3568/frequency; presuming that we're sticking with 3x weekly, this gives overall revenue of $1.116m (or $558k/car).  I suspect the Cardinal's space turnover may be a bit higher as well, but I also suspect that per-passenger revenue may take a little bit more of a hit due to pricing pressure.

Maybe this is completely naive, but is not the obvious conclusion from your figures that the best* use of the new sleepers would be to:

1) Add cars to the LSL until you can't fill them any more without dropping prices;

2) Add any cars left over to the Meteor until you can't fill them any more without dropping prices;

3) And so on down the line?

Thanks,

Ainamkartma

* Where "best" is some combination of transporting the most passengers and adding the most operating profit to Amtrak's bottom line.

#66 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:06 AM

The PRIIA for the Crescent suggests cut off cars but can't be implemented because of the hot mess there. 

Are there any places that cut off cars work and where are the cutoff points? Are there places cut off cares should be but can't be implemented (like Atlanta)?

I believe Amtrak has, at times recently, dropped/added cars at Denver (to/from Chicago), Reno (to/from Emeryville), St. Louis (to/from Chicago), and St. Paul (to/from Chicago).

#67 A Voice

A Voice

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:12 AM

Isn't the obvious place to drop cars from the Crescent not Atlanta, but Anniston, AL, where the cars could sit for seven hours before being picked up by the northbound Crescent and there is what appears to be an unused two ended siding with existing turnouts right next to the Amtrak station?

(Or Birmingham, for that matter, where there would only be a two and half hour layover for the cars, but there are scads of idle platform tracks.  I imagine Amtrak could not reliably make a two point five hour connection, though.)

Ainamkartma

How much does it really add costs, though, to just let the "extra" cars tag along all the way to New Orleans?  Anniston as a drop point is thinking outside the box, and Amtrak could do with more of that, but of course the idea is the additional capacity is only needed north of Atlanta.  Amtrak has previously had cars basically just 'along for the ride" all the way from Chicago to New Orleans when the Empire Builder used to run through as southbound train 59.  Given that cutting equipment anywhere from Atlanta or beyond would only save one partial set of cars (of four required), it does seem an open question just how much effort should be put into this.  

The Gulf Breeze used to provide a remedy for all this; Rather than look at ways to reduce capacity nearer the Gulf coast, perhaps the better option regardless is to find a way to use or market these excess seats to carry more passengers or serve more destinations again (split at Meridian as proposed, or alternately even to Mobile again). 

Edited by A Voice, Yesterday, 10:14 AM.

#68 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted Yesterday, 10:28 AM

The Crescent Star is your most likely new service that would come in the SE. Partially because it's cash positive in Amtrak's study and you should be some sort of Amtrak equipment on that route this summer. With the new route being Meridian to Fort Worth.

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#69 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,032 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:32 AM

@West Point:
I'll run down these in order:
(1/2) I can't comment on load factors there from a position of data, but this is consistent with a lot of things: Amtrak's ticket pricing, reading between the lines on some reports, observations, and the fact that Southern only ran the Crescent daily as far as Birmingham (only running it through to New Orleans on days that connected with the Sunset via the overnight sleeper).  As you indicated there are probably seasonal exceptions.

(3) I'd have to look through the report, but IIRC that proposal was to add a coach.  Moreover, I'd be curious as to what they were looking at in terms of those costs...was this in terms of direct costs?  Was this covering maintenance, etc.?  Did this involve adding a crew member and was that rolled in?  FWIW I don't find that number to be /utterly/ unreasonable...it feels a bit high but I cannot quantify my feeling any further.  One thing to bear in mind: The Meteor uses four sets, and those four sets travel a combined 1,013,970 miles/year...so each individual car travels a shade over a quarter-million miles per year.

(4) Cutting cars in Atlanta would make sense.  You'd still need three cars allocated (the NB Crescent doesn't get into NYP in time to return the car south on the same day) but that's still a savings of a car and a crew member.  At present, you'd probably be better off looking at dropping part of the crew at Anniston or Birmingham (I'd vote for ATN over BHM due to timing...1000 to 1600 is a lot safer than 1150 to 1424) and just running the cars through.  In this context you could probably drop an SCA and at least one diner crew member.  You might also be fairly well-off by cutting a car in Washington, where IIRC you've got quite a few boardings due to the presence of the Capitol Limited as your "acceptable connection" westbound: 0953-1830 wouldn't be too far off of the "old Meteor" timings for NYP (which allowed a same-day turn), but there are obvious logistical issues there.

(5) The plan was actually to go to two attendants per three sleepers (though I think this effectively meant one attendant on the Crescent since the Crescent has only two sleepers and some of that space has to go to crew).  Is that still the plan?  Hell if I know.

@Ainamkartma:
The answer to this is complicated.  Basically, the LSL and Meteor are arguably your best trains for this.  However, the LSL is space-limited in New York due to the track configuration (IIRC the train can only be about ten or eleven cars long but it has been a while since I looked at the track diagrams for NYP).  Right now I think the train runs nine cars and the locomotive into NYP at peak season, so it's close to capacity.

Moreover, there's the question of the impact of /massively/ adding capacity on a given train.  The Meteor is not so constrained, so let's assume that we just dumped all of the sleepers onto the Meteor as a thought exercise.  The Meteor, which presently runs with three sleepers, would now be running with 8-9:
(1) It isn't clear how much demand there would be for throwing that many cars at the train all at once, so you'd ding your yield factors (probably pretty heavily).
(2) Let's say you've filled eight sleeping cars with pax, at about 22 people to a sleeper.  All of those passengers are owed a dinner.  That is 176 passengers, give or take.  With full use of a 48-seat diner you'd need four seatings to have a shot at feeding them all.  Now, you could probably use cafe space for some spill-over and pack it down to three (very full) seatings but I don't even know if the diner could fit that much food.
(3) Even if you manage that side of things, with eight or nine sleepers you're either burying the dining car deep in sleeper-land or you've got some sleeping car passengers who have a heck of a walk (and I can say from doing this on the Canadian that nine-car walks suck).

Realistically you would probably need a second dining car for such a train.  We had a discussion on here a while back and IIRC the practical limit for a single dining car is somewhere in the range of 4-5 sleepers.  Back in "the day" trains could run with more sleepers per diner, but that's because the the meals weren't included (which meant that some pax would take a pass), the sleepers had a lower capacity (a 10-6 sleeper had a passenger limit of 21 while a Viewliner I has a limit of 30 and would be able to fit 32 if you didn't need the shower; a Viewliner II has a limit of 28 due to the restrooms), and the crews were held to more aggressive standards (witness the Pullman manuals, which gave highly detailed instructions on how to, for example, serve a martini.

The result is that Amtrak's best bet is probably to add a car to each train and then see where the demand settles out.  It is very possible that after doing so for a season someone does the numbers and figures out that the car on the Star isn't yielding as much as the one on the Meteor (or the Crescent) and that switching them out would make sense.

Edit: "Splitting the damn train" is another valid option IMHO.  The problem is that IIRC when the Gulf Breeze ran the service was something of a bust (Wikipedia cites ridership in 1994 as 7,737, or about 10.5 pax/train).  Now, this might have been down to the train terminating at Mobile instead of New Orleans (which may have had operational reasons for being the case) but basically on those numbers the train wasn't even running with a single car full most of the time.

Edited by Anderson, Yesterday, 10:45 AM.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#70 WoodyinNYC

WoodyinNYC

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:07 AM

... there's the question of the impact of /massively/ adding capacity on a given train.
... throwing  many cars at the train all at once, you'd ding your yield factors (probably heavily).

The result is that Amtrak's best bet is probably to add a car to each train and then see where the demand settles out.

Seems the bag-dorms could be used to add capacity by half steps. That is, add half a sleeper's worth of roomettes, then when the added bag-dorm is filling up pretty well, replace it with a full sleeper. (Another reason to build the 10 bag-dorms before the 25 full sleepers. Amtrak could add these half-sleepers to the trains first, then replace them with full sleepers as they are accepted.)

Meanwhile, to complicate our calculations and speculations, I'm expecting that the new Viewliner II cars will attract more riders by simply being new and better, and out of service less. How many more riders from 'shiny and new' and how many more riders from 'it's not sold out every time I want to ride' are imponderables to me. But I'm sure a nice number of passengers will be coaxed into giving the new stuff a try.

#71 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,310 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted Yesterday, 11:11 AM

The PRIIA for the Crescent suggests cut off cars but can't be implemented because of the hot mess there. 

Are there any places that cut off cars work and where are the cutoff points? Are there places cut off cares should be but can't be implemented (like Atlanta)?

I believe Amtrak has, at times recently, dropped/added cars at Denver (to/from Chicago), Reno (to/from Emeryville), St. Louis (to/from Chicago), and St. Paul (to/from Chicago).
The Texas Eagle and Sunset Ltd. currently drop a Sleeper and Coach in San Antonio on the three times a week Sunset days, and there usually is a protect Sleeper and Coach on the siding by the Station on most days that the Sunset Ltd. doesnt run.

Edited by Bob Dylan, Yesterday, 11:12 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#72 Eric S

Eric S

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:24 AM

The Texas Eagle and Sunset Ltd. currently drop a Sleeper and Coach in San Antonio on the three times a week Sunset days, and there usually is a protect Sleeper and Coach on the siding by the Station on most days that the Sunset Ltd. doesnt run.

I guess I didn't think about mentioning the places where trains are split/joined - Albany, San Antonio, Spokane.

#73 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,310 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 AM

I didn't include Spokane and Albany since the cars don't layover, they are switched almost upon arrival and leave fairly quick.

One other thing about the 321/322 Coaches is that lately they run deadhead between St. Louis and San Antonio on the Eagle and are not switched in St. Louis.

Edited by Bob Dylan, Yesterday, 11:30 AM.

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#74 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,032 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:58 AM

... there's the question of the impact of /massively/ adding capacity on a given train.
... throwing  many cars at the train all at once, you'd ding your yield factors (probably heavily).

The result is that Amtrak's best bet is probably to add a car to each train and then see where the demand settles out.

Seems the bag-dorms could be used to add capacity by half steps. That is, add half a sleeper's worth of roomettes, then when the added bag-dorm is filling up pretty well, replace it with a full sleeper. (Another reason to build the 10 bag-dorms before the 25 full sleepers. Amtrak could add these half-sleepers to the trains first, then replace them with full sleepers as they are accepted.)

Meanwhile, to complicate our calculations and speculations, I'm expecting that the new Viewliner II cars will attract more riders by simply being new and better, and out of service less. How many more riders from 'shiny and new' and how many more riders from 'it's not sold out every time I want to ride' are imponderables to me. But I'm sure a nice number of passengers will be coaxed into giving the new stuff a try.

I'm sort-of ignoring any "shiny" effects from the new sleepers, etc.  It's probably worth a few riders here and there but nothing worth really taking into account.

On the other hand, I do think less sold-out sleepers (or less horridly unaffordable sleepers) will have a positive impact on ridership...but I suspect that will also play into some modest downward pressure on PPR (hence my presumptions in my earlier post).  Overall I figure that load factors will be fairly steady or drop slightly...but that is in the context of sleepers going for very high rates and frequently selling out at present, so I figure that if we're not maxed out there at present we're close to it on many routes.

As to the bag-dorms, I really wish Amtrak had been able to order a full slate of them so they could make the Transdorms into full "normal sleeper" cars, moving most of the relevant crew members into a bag-dorm.

Edited by Anderson, Yesterday, 12:00 PM.

Capitol Limited (7), CA Zephyr (4) Lake Shore Limited (1), Acela (2), NE Regional (2), Sliver Meteor (4)

Upcoming: Silver Meteor (1), Lake Shore Limited (1), SW Chief (2), MO River Runner (1), Texas Eagle (1)

Possibly Upcoming: Either Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (2) or Texas Eagle (1), Capitol Limited (1), Silver Meteor (1)

#75 Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • Interests:-Amtrak
    -New York Central
    -Seaboard Airline
    -Scriptwriting

Posted Yesterday, 03:10 PM

Well there is another private passenger lesson that could be applied in a way. Certain trains has dining cars but they didn't run the entire route. That would basically be like giving the Silver Star a Hamlet Washington dining car and removing it in both cities. Which saves you space in the crew dorm. But the switching of the consist makes it impractical. But a lot of trains back in the day did switching like that

View my pictures at http://trainboy1.rrpicturearchives.net

Amtrak Routes I've riden: Silver Star(NYP-ORL), Silver Meteor(KIS-NYP),Carolinian(CLT-NWK), Palmetto (FLO-NYP), Acela(WAS-NYP), NE Regional(WBG-RVR), Pacific Surfliner(SAN-OSD), Piedmont(CLT-SAL), Crescent(NYP-CLT), Cardinal (WAS-CHI), Capitol Limited (CHI-WAS), Cascade (PDX-SEA)

Steam Engines I've worked behind

Norfolk & Western No. 611

Nickel Plate Road No. 765

Southern Pacific No. 4449

#76 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,032 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Well there is another private passenger lesson that could be applied in a way. Certain trains has dining cars but they didn't run the entire route. That would basically be like giving the Silver Star a Hamlet Washington dining car and removing it in both cities. Which saves you space in the crew dorm. But the switching of the consist makes it impractical. But a lot of trains back in the day did switching like that

The Crescent would be a particularly good candidate for this...an "enhanced cafe" along the lines of the LSL-Boston section would be sufficient south of Atlanta (traffic on the southern end being fairly coach-heavy as far as I can tell).  A variation on this, based on what I saw in Queensland, would be to vary the crews on a given portion of a route based on the on-board traffic load (e.g. the California Zephyr probably does not need the same level of crewing between Grand Junction and Reno that it needs on either end of the route, while the Starlight is probably in the same boat between the Bay Area and Portland).

FWIW, I remember seeing the consists of some Florida trains (and indeed I think some of Southern's were the same way), and there would often be some Miami-Washington equipment.  Especially given the interchange between the Cap and these trains, cutting off some cars at the same time as the locomotive gets pulled would not seem to be a stretch.

#77 A Voice

A Voice

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:46 PM

FWIW, I remember seeing the consists of some Florida trains (and indeed I think some of Southern's were the same way), and there would often be some Miami-Washington equipment.  Especially given the interchange between the Cap and these trains, cutting off some cars at the same time as the locomotive gets pulled would not seem to be a stretch.

It is only another 225 miles up to New York (where equipment sets rotate), and the first car behind the locomotive you're changing is generally the baggage car.  Lot of effort to switch cars out of the train, in a strong passenger rail market, to save merely a few hours.  

#78 west point

west point

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:49 PM

How much does it really add costs, though, to just let the "extra" cars tag along all the way to New Orleans?  Anniston as a drop point is thinking outside the box, and Amtrak could do with more of that, but of course the idea is the additional capacity is only needed north of Atlanta.

The timetable distance between ATL <> NOL is listed as ~ 519 miles. PRIIA listed operating costs of a car is $4.00 + a mile.
A present day Crescent is usually 9 cars = 1 bag, 4 coaches, Diner, lounge 2 sleepers. If the ATL <> NOL segment was changed to 1 bag, 2 coaches, diner or lounge, 1 sleeper that would be 3 less cars every day.
3 cars x 519 x 2 directions x $4.00 = 9 = $12,456 saved per day
Now if Crescent goes NYP or WASH <> ATL 5 coaches and 4 sleepers = 12 cars then cutting them off at ATL saves another $12,456.
so regular consist saves in a 30 day month $$373,680. Proposed consist save double that in a month = $747.360. Those figures are only car operating costs. Operating savings per year ~ $ 4.2 - $8,4 M per year.

Additional costs in no special order. Since the cars are laying over and will be originating there may be 2 additional car knockers required for the FRA required daily originating inspections. ATL already has an unknown number for the 1000 mile brake check. Probably 2 switcher crew men. Then there probably would be some additional NS track charges ( wild guess not more than $5.000 ? ) Hotel power connections $1,000 month ? One time costs for additional spare parts, storage. & another vehicle.

Costs for 2 additional siding switches, tracks HEP connections, additional NS signaling, etc $1.4 - $2.0 M.

The problem with Anniston would be the additional car knockers and loss of savings of 200 miles a day. BHM looses 320 miles of savings.

As pointed out ATL <> NOL ridership is much lower part of Crescent's load. The Crescent has always been capacity limited ATL <> WASH even during SOU RR's operation. ATL <> NOL much less demand although BHM is adding more riders to train now both thru ATL and to NOL. Amtrak PRIIA stated more cars would be added ATL >? NOL whenever demand calls for extra seats. Good use for Horizons if they are ever removed from 1st line service.h

#79 Anderson

Anderson

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,032 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:57 PM

It is only another 225 miles up to New York (where equipment sets rotate), and the first car behind the locomotive you're changing is generally the baggage car.  Lot of effort to switch cars out of the train, in a strong passenger rail market, to save merely a few hours.  

The thing is, that 225 miles still totals about seven hours of runtime...and it has the same general impact as an Atlanta switch-out in spite of that saving about 22 hours on 522 miles.

Moreover, at least as of late the baggage car has been running on the back of some of those LD trains (as have the sleepers).  While cutting the rear-most car may involve a more complex yard move to get it where it needs to go, doing so isn't horridly impractical (like cutting a mid-train coach would be) and it is possible to arrange a train in such a way that a cut-off coach and sleeper are next to one another.

I'll agree that doing this for a single car is potentially of limited value, but doing this with (say) a car each on the Meteor and Crescent gives you two cars.  If you could find a logic to doing so on the Star as well (I'll happily grant that said logic may end up being a bit thin in Washington; Tampa would make the most sense but the timing doesn't work), or elsewhere on one of the single-level trains you'd save three cars...and that's an extra sleeper on the LSL, or indeed another cut-off car on the Meteor or Crescent.  Two cars alone might give you room to experiment and/or run an extra less-than-daily/"demand-based" car on a train.  Really, don't underestimate the value of preserving scarce capacity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users