Spouse Credit Card?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George K

Conductor
In another thread, someone commented that it's possible to accumulate up to 60K in AGR points if you and your spouse apply for the BoA Amtrak Mastercards (both kinds).

Is that right? Can my spouse apply for a card as well as me? I already have the "premium" card and thinking about applying for the non-fee card (the fee card has benefits that aren't applicable to me). I assume that points for her card would only be transferrable to my account for the usual fee (and limits imposed on how much she can transfer).

Really?

Your wife can apply for a card in her name. The points from applying and those earned from purchasing will be earned in her AGR account.

Why would you need to transfer points from her account to your account? Just redeem from her account when necessary. If you do not have enough points in one account for a round trip, but each has enough in one account, just redeem one way from your account and one way from her account. No transfer of points (or transfer fees) are necessary!

Just redeem from her account when necessary. If you do not have enough points in one account for a round trip, but each has enough in one account, just redeem one way from your account and one way from her account. No transfer of points (or transfer fees) are necessary!
Yes, I realized that shortly after I posted.

I suppose another way to do it, if we didn't have enough points for one way, would be to book a trip in 2 segments, one segment on her account, and the rest on mine.

We each have our own AGR credit card and AGR accounts. We've done it both ways...different segments each booked on or the other account. I've also transferred points (a charge, I believe) from one to the other to make make it work as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
We both had Chase AGR accounts. Now I have the pay BoA and she has the free. My BoA will be terminated when the fee-year runs out.

I know that if I said I wanted to get rid of the fee card and get the free one, they would do that (told me that last year) but I never thought of just getting the free one for the points, then canceling the paid one.

Your wife can apply for a card in her name. The points from applying and those earned from purchasing will be earned in her AGR account.
I believe the points from her card will be earned in whatever AGR account you give BoA. I don't think BoA's system looks for an AGR account with her name on it.

There is an advantage to points from both cards going to the same account. . Given that Amtrak's system still can't combine points and cash for a reservation, I doubt it can combine points from two accounts. Buying points or splitting segments or whatever other work-arounds you come up with are still a hassel

splitting segments or whatever other work-arounds you come up with are still a hassel
How is that a hassle? :huh:
Your trip is CHI-LAX-CHI. What's the difference between redeeming an award from the husband's account for CHI-LAX and LAX-CHI or redeeming from the husband's account for CHI-LAX and the wife's account for LAX-CHI? I don't see any difference.

My wife and I are going back east in May and returning in early June. We are going in roomette from Winnemucca to Chicago on my wife's points. Chicago to Erie (cash) in Business class seats.

On the way back we have seats on the LSL and the CZ as far as Omaha (cash). We get in a roomette in Omaha all the way to Glenwood Springs on my points.

Glenwood Springs back to WNN we have coach seats overnight.

Back