Photo

minimum tip to leave so SCA doesn't realize I'm a cheapskate?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:52 PM

Suffice it to say that I have seldom seen anyone leave a tip for a complementary breakfast at any hotel to date. Maybe those that are thoroughly indoctrinated at AU do. ;)

Depends on the hotel.  Not much reason to leave a tip for microwave omelets at the Hampton or stale cinnamon roles at the Holiday Express.  On the other hand I've had some pretty amazing breakfasts included with my hotels in Asia.  At the risk of bragging the JW Khao Lak came with an included breakfast that was among the best I've had and easily worth another tip each and every day of my stay.

hktkl_main01.jpg

hktkl_main03.jpg

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 20 March 2017 - 04:15 PM.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#62 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,603 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Excellent post Chris!

We're envious!😉

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#63 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Fair enough.

I hadn't considered the possibility that people in the dining car with Lonestar were members of a loyalty program and status rank that first entered into existence twenty days ago.   :lol:

You said never. I gave one example. There may be others.

The same wording applied to the status rank that existed before World of Hurt.

#64 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,801 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Fair enough.

I hadn't considered the possibility that people in the dining car with Lonestar were members of a loyalty program and status rank that first entered into existence twenty days ago.   :lol:

You said never. I gave one example. There may be others. The same wording applied to the status rank that existed before World of Hurt.

The only other example I could think of was cruise lines, which I don't even ride because sitting on a boat for three days in order to visit another country for six hours sounds borderline insane to me. But you're right, I said never, so fair play to you.

If I had a tumor I'd name it Marla.

#65 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:16 PM

Suffice it to say that I have seldom seen anyone leave a tip for a complementary breakfast at any hotel to date. Maybe those that are thoroughly indoctrinated at AU do. ;)

I do...especially if it's a place where you don't just clean up after yourself, but the staff does it for you? May only be a few dollars, but it's just how I was raised. I would shudder to think what some here might think about my tipping habits, given to me by my grandmother, or even worse my soon to be husband.

Say the subtotal comes to $38, and meal tax (in NH - 9%) brings it to $41.42? My would round up to the nearest 10th (including taxes), so $50, and tip 20% on that. So she'd leave a $10 tip on a $38 tab, so effectively a 26% tip, for typical service.

My boyfriend is even worse. Heaven forbid we get good service, I've seen him tip 30%+ on top of the total, which at times had included the wonderful 15% tax in Nova Scotia.

To each their own.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#66 Meat Puppet

Meat Puppet

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

Whats the minimum amount of work a sleeping car attendant can do so the customer doesn't realize I am lazy?

what's the minimum amount of tip that I should leave so

the sleeping car attendant doesn't realize that I'm a

cheapskate?  (on the CONO)

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users