Photo

minimum tip to leave so SCA doesn't realize I'm a cheapskate?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,928 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Sorry, but I can only afford to tip $5.00 because I live on a fixed income. I usually tip the day of my exit from the sleeper.

No need to apologize.  Tipping is not required and there is no set amount for any service, on a train or elsewhere as far as I know (except when a "large" group of people dine together and a restaurant adds the tip to the bill) 

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#42 anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:31 AM

I've noticed a lot of non tippers while dining on the train, never have noticed a dine and dash, wondering if anyone else has.

#43 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:57 AM

Yes, trhere are many who do not tip.  It is their option to tip.  But also, I have found that a few think that tips are included since meals are included.  I learned that a couple years ago when a couple questioned why I was leaving a tip when it was included in the Room fare.  They were totally unaware that tips were not included.  I think many option to save their money.  Myself I tip according to the service I receive at each meal. Last summer, on my four train trip around the west I found maybe 50% tipped, could have been few more that I didn't see tip. 

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

#44 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts
  • Interests:Travel by Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:29 AM

Yes, trhere are many who do not tip.  It is their option to tip.  But also, I have found that a few think that tips are included since meals are included.  I learned that a couple years ago when a couple questioned why I was leaving a tip when it was included in the Room fare.  They were totally unaware that tips were not included.

If people are telling you that they thought the tip was included it's probably to calm you down after you took it upon yourself to be a conspicuous tipper and forced the issue on them as some sort of guilt trip.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 20 March 2017 - 02:31 AM.

What is the purpose of a rhetorical question?

#45 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:33 AM

Yes, trhere are many who do not tip.  It is their option to tip.  But also, I have found that a few think that tips are included since meals are included.  I learned that a couple years ago when a couple questioned why I was leaving a tip when it was included in the Room fare.  They were totally unaware that tips were not included.

If people are telling you that they thought the tip was included it's probably to calm you down after you took it upon yourself to be a conspicuous tipper and forced the issue on them as some sort of guilt trip.

You really like to get your knickers in a knot when it comes tipping, don't you? So...how do you draw the conclusion that Lonestar made a big deal about it, when he said that the other passengers questioned him about it?

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#46 silmaril

silmaril

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:40 AM

I haven't been here long, but I get that tipping is a bit of an issue...

As an Australian, we do not have a tipping culture at all.

Having read a bit here, would it be appropriate to tip $5 if I see the SCA, and $0 if I don't see them at all?

#47 ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:42 AM

Having read a bit here, would it be appropriate to tip $5 if I see the SCA, and $0 if I don't see them at all?

As has been noted, you really don't have to tip at all; it's not like most (stationary) American restaurants where the server is essentially unpaid if you don't tip. However, $5 (per night) is certainly an acceptable tip if you feel comfortable with it and that the service has been worth it. That's exactly how much I used to tip up until just a couple of years ago; I usually left cash tips in the dining car that totaled about $10 per day and I decided that the service I received in my sleeping car should be considered comparable to the service I received in the diner.

As you note, though, there are occasionally Sleeping Car Attendants who are "Missing In Action" or who otherwise give poor service. That should earn not only a zero tip, but also a letter to Amtrak Customer Relations informing them of the lackluster employee. More often, though, you find onboard staff that do go out of their way to make your trip pleasant, and I hope that you encounter many such on your visit.

Posted Image 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!
Visit Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables from the Streamliner era.

#48 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:43 AM

The discussion of tipping is like a reoccurring nightmare!

I tip the SCA $5 because I don't need anything extra, just for my bed to be made. As mentioned if they go an exceptional job, you may want to increase it to $10. But it would also depend on how many nights you're traveling too.

Now just as a sidenote, I am a cafe attendant, and during the touristy times of year I will get travelers from all over the world (just on Saturday I had multiple British and Chinese families/groups, and a family from Australia as well), and I try to be very recognizing about other cultures and tipping habits. I have said this many times and I'll say it again. I take no offense if I don't receive a tip, no matter the culture, provided you simply are friendly and thank me. I can't say we all are like this, but plenty of us are!

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#49 ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:53 AM

As you note, though, there are occasionally Sleeping Car Attendants who are "Missing In Action" or who otherwise give poor service. That should earn not only a zero tip, but also a letter to Amtrak Customer Relations informing them of the lackluster employee. More often, though, you find onboard staff that do go out of their way to make your trip pleasant, and I hope that you encounter many such on your visit.

As a specific example, on a trip from New Orleans to Houston five years ago an escrow check from a client fell out of my mother's purse while traveling in coach. I normally don't tip coach attendants at all, but I had spoken with this gentleman and had given him one of the business cards I use for my Streamliner Schedules site. He found the check after we left the train in Houston, gave me a call, and arranged to return it via postal mail. It was too late to tip him, but I did write a warm personal letter to Amtrak customer service letting them know that we were very pleased with the service we had received from Lloyd B.

Posted Image 16 inch Armor Piercing...When you care enough to send the very, VERY best!

#50 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:54 AM

You really like to get your knickers in a knot when it comes tipping, don't you? So...how do you draw the conclusion that Lonestar made a big deal about it, when he said that the other passengers questioned him about it?

Lonestar has previously informed us that he actively monitors and guides strangers into following his lead on tipping. Apparently it's very important to him that everyone know tipping is not "included." Except that virtually any functioning adult would already know that. Tipping is never included. That's what makes it a tip. If it was included it would be a service charge.

The only exception I can think of are cruise line packages, but even then you'd have to select and acknowledge your tipping plan before departure. There is no logical path which would lead a functioning adult to assume people are being silently tipped on their behalf at no specific cost to them. Perhaps Lonestar is referring to foreigners unfamiliar with America's arbitrary tipping culture, but even in that situation he's pushing a guilt trip where presumably well meaning people saw no reason to tip on their own.

I haven't been here long, but I get that tipping is a bit of an issue... As an Australian, we do not have a tipping culture at all. Having read a bit here, would it be appropriate to tip $5 if I see the SCA, and $0 if I don't see them at all?

Tip whatever you want or leave no tip at all. It's entirely up to you.

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 20 March 2017 - 07:02 AM.

#51 RRRick

RRRick

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Interests:Transportation history,

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

Welcome to the USA ! Years ago I met an Australian who was on a month long holiday in the USA . We toured Graceland in Memphis together. He expressed his frustration with having to tip on Amtrak. He said he spent over two hundred dollars in tips just going coast to coast on Amtrak in coach and eating in the diner. He had been led to believe by the internet, that  one had to add a tip for service employees in the USA. I explained that there are no laws requiring tipping and it is 100% voluntary on his part. I explained that no one was going to hassle  him if he didn't tip when he paid his bill in the diner.

I searched on the official Amtrak website and found this statement about tipping:

Attached File  tipping.JPG   27.91KB   13 downloads

Please enjoy your holiday in the United States of America.

#52 CAMISSY55

CAMISSY55

Train Attendant

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

I've noticed a lot of non tippers while dining on the train, never have noticed a dine and dash, wondering if anyone else has.

#53 willem

willem

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

Tipping is never included.

[...]

There is no logical path which would lead a functioning adult to assume people are being silently tipped on their behalf at no specific cost to them.

Never is a long time.

From World of Hyatt terms, "Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges) for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children."

#54 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,613 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

Tipping is never included.

[...]

There is no logical path which would lead a functioning adult to assume people are being silently tipped on their behalf at no specific cost to them.

Never is a long time.

From World of Hyatt terms, "Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges) for each registered guest in the room, up to a maximum of two (2) adults and two (2) children."

Fair enough.

I hadn't considered the possibility that people in the dining car with Lonestar were members of a loyalty program and status rank that first entered into existence twenty days ago.   :lol:

Edited by Devil's Advocate, 20 March 2017 - 12:20 PM.

#55 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,980 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes and Travel

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Suffice it to say that I have seldom seen anyone leave a tip for a complementary breakfast at any hotel to date. Maybe those that are thoroughly indoctrinated at AU do. ;)

#56 ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

Suffice it to say that I have seldom seen anyone leave a tip for a complementary breakfast at any hotel to date. Maybe those that are thoroughly indoctrinated at AU do. ;)

On the other hand I have often left a dollar or so in the tip jar at a complimentary hotel continental breakfast, and when I used a business package at the Hyatt in Washington, DC in May 2012 (breakfast buffet included), I left the same gratuity as if I had paid full price for the breakfast.

#57 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,980 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:42 PM

Sure, some do. But most don't. If all did then the jar would prove to be utterly too small ;) As I said, the thoroughly indoctrinated :P ... Juuust kidding. :D

in case you happen to fly, do you tip the cabin crew too? Just wondering.

#58 ehbowen

ehbowen

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

Don't give me ideas....

Seriously, no. I don't tip coach attendants on Amtrak either, nor do I normally tip cafe attendants (except for special services, such as complimentary hot water for my own tea or instant soup, or complex purchases). But if I were in an overnight berth or room with a personal attendant, I just might.

For me, tradition and culture does play a large part. Tipping of Pullman porters and waiters in all restaurants (moving or not) goes back almost as far as the institutions themselves, at least in the United States. While I recognize (and am glad) that Amtrak staff is well compensated and doesn't depend upon tips for their daily bread in the same way as a colored porter in the 1900s or an average restaurant waiter today, I still feel it appropriate to recognize and reward personal service. Impersonal service, such as the tip jars now sprouting up at Starbucks or Baskin-Robbins, not so much.

#59 Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Trains/Travel/Sports(except Soccer)/Government-Politics/Reading/Old Buildings
    Movies/Music/Unicorns and Ancient Aliens!

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

Not to be PC but "colored" is considered a Slur now, I know word usuage changes but Black still seems the appropriate word usage to me, much better than African-American since hyphenated words also seem inappropriate to me! YMMV

"There's Something About a Train! It's Magic!"-- 1970s Amtrak Ad

".. I ride on a Mail Train Baby, can't buy a thrill.."--I said that!

"..My heart is warm with the friends I make,and better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,No matter where its going!.." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

#60 jis

jis

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,980 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

Don't give me ideas....

Seriously, no. I don't tip coach attendants on Amtrak either, nor do I normally tip cafe attendants (except for special services, such as complimentary hot water for my own tea or instant soup, or complex purchases). But if I were in an overnight berth or room with a personal attendant, I just might.

For me, tradition and culture does play a large part. Tipping of Pullman porters and waiters in all restaurants (moving or not) goes back almost as far as the institutions themselves, at least in the United States. While I recognize (and am glad) that Amtrak staff is well compensated and doesn't depend upon tips for their daily bread in the same way as a colored porter in the 1900s or an average restaurant waiter today, I still feel it appropriate to recognize and reward personal service. Impersonal service, such as the tip jars now sprouting up at Starbucks or Baskin-Robbins, not so much.

Good point! I agree, and as I have stated further up in this thread, that tipping has a lot to do with tradition and feelings, and should not be viewed so much as a straight-jacket set of rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users