minimum tip to leave so SCA doesn't realize I'm a cheapskate?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraftBeer

Train Attendant
let me get this out of the way first... I am a certified

cheapskate. :)

however.....

what's the minimum amount of tip that I should leave so

the sleeping car attendant doesn't realize that I'm a

cheapskate? (on the CONO)

Thanks!

If the service is Just OK, I would give him a 5. Good service- 10. The other day I really thought well of the SCA, Jesus, and gave him 20. Lousy service - ZERO.

Oh Christ...we haven't even finished bickering over the last thread asking about tipping. So before anyone starts doing that here too, let me recap for you. Tips are not required, but appreciated as always.

That being said, even though I work for Amtrak and know the struggles the sleeper attendants face, I only tip $5. Disclaimer: I'm only onboard for one night, and I don't require any extraordinary help.

Don't worry about being a cheapskate or appearing as such. I usually tip $10 per night; however, I have started reducing that by $5 per night if the SCA does not offer to assist me with my carryon luggage when I am deboarding at the end of my trip. Usually I tip the redcap to help with boarding and they do volunteer to carry my carryon to my room for me. I should say that I am a 75 year old not handicapped male but I do have balance issues climbing stairs and anyone who has ridden Amtrak know the stairwell is narrow and circular so assistance is appreciated.

Unfortunately, the CONO SCA's don't seem to ever offer assistance so, yes, I only tip $5 for the one night if they don't help me.

If the SCA is very helpful going beyond, like making a doll out of a cloth napkin for my youngest granddaughter on her first trip, or checking in with me if I needed anything, etc. I will tip up to $20. If The SCA is good, friendly, I tip $10. If I have to get my carry on bag downstairs, I tip less since I have trouble with stairs when carrying a bag. If I am making down my bed and putting up the bedding in the morning and the MIA SCA is only available to say goodbye with their hand out for a tip, they only get a letter written to Customer Service about being MIA. I will say that I find I am tipping every SCA over the past couple years, and many of those have been above average. It seems like I am finding the SCA group to be better each year.

Oh Christ...we haven't even finished bickering over the last thread asking about tipping. So before anyone starts doing that here too, let me recap for you. Tips are not required, but appreciated as always.

That being said, even though I work for Amtrak and know the struggles the sleeper attendants face, I only tip $5. Disclaimer: I'm only onboard for one night, and I don't require any extraordinary help.
Oh..... I was so looking forward to another bout

$0 Mr Burns

$5 Brian

$10 Homer

$20 Carter Pewterschmidt

I think I always tip at least a $20 even if I don't ever need anything. (I usually don't, just want my bunk made up at the time I request) It would take serious intentional and outward hostility toward me to make me do anything less. I still tip bad waiters 20% because I don't like to penalize people for having a bad night. They still have rent to pay.

I tip usually $5/night. I too don't require any special assistance. I might go above and beyond that if the SCA has gone above and beyond with their service. For lousy/non existent service, nothing. To repeat an earlier post, tipping is not required. It is appreciated however.

let me get this out of the way first... I am a certified cheapskate. :) however..... what's the minimum amount of tip that I should leave so the sleeping car attendant doesn't realize that I'm a cheapskate? (on the CONO) Thanks!
The funny thing about tipping is that a small tip can sometimes be perceived as being worse than no tip at all. If there's no tip then maybe the person was simply unaware that tipping was expected. If there's a tiny tip then it removes any chance of confusion and risks looking like an insult.

I think I always tip at least a $20 even if I don't ever need anything. (I usually don't, just want my bunk made up at the time I request) It would take serious intentional and outward hostility toward me to make me do anything less. I still tip bad waiters 20% because I don't like to penalize people for having a bad night. They still have rent to pay.
So you always tip. At least 20% or $20. Every single time. Even for service you know is bad. I don't even know what to say to that.

So you always tip. At least 20% or $20. Every single time. Even for service you know is bad. I don't even know what to say to that.
Yes, because I make the same amount of money even when I have a bad day at work. I don't get penalized and have my pay cut. I hate American tipping culture and wish we'd move away from it. Leaves people's income in the hands of customers' whims way too much.

Think of all the cash one has to carry to cover a long trip on Amtrak:

Taxi driver getting to the station

Red Cap assistance boarding

SCA after trip

SCA if a meal in the room

DC Server - 4-6 meals on long trips

Cafe - if snacks are purchased

Red Cap assistance getting off the train.

Its like a high end hotel where everyone is expecting and working for your tip money by offering to assist you.

I am not saying these people do not deserve the tips, in fact some companies monitor employee tip percentage as a gauge as to how well they are doing in their job as compared to others working the route, etc. I will always tip because our culture is tip based, but agree it would be nice if you didn't have to carry so much cash to cover the tipping, if the fare included everything.

Oh Christ...we haven't even finished bickering over the last thread asking about tipping.
Careful with those comments - wouldn't want our self-proclaimed Post Police to scold you! :p
I know, people like this are the worst:

Here's a link to 22 threads on this enchanting subject: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1 A search of this site will turn up 22 threads dealing with tipping.

Wish some kind soul would post links to the other 4 or 5 recent threads dealing with gratuities. Same blather repeated every 6 months or so begins to wear thin after a while - but that's just me. Carry on if you must.

Cafe guy gets a tip too? It seems similar to the person who sells snacks at the movie theater. Never thought to tip that person. I was more in the middle, tip sometimes on the train but after seeing that everyone I see is looking for a tip, I am not so sure anymore.

Cafe guy gets a tip too? It seems similar to the person who sells snacks at the movie theater. Never thought to tip that person. I was more in the middle, tip sometimes on the train but after seeing that everyone I see is looking for a tip, I am not so sure anymore.
I've seen tip jars on counters at many establishments where you walk up and order your food. I rarely put a tip in those.

The "average" is probably $10 per night per person, although some leave $-0- (either by accident, forgetfulness or otherwise).
I generally do $5 per night for basic services provided in a timely manner. If any extra consideration is shown that goes up to $10. If I get food delivered to my room, that is handled on per meal basis as additional.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do $10/night for decent service, including asking what time to make up room for night (and then doing it). Being reasonably available within the car, getting ice, etc. Attitude will improve the tip to up to $15 or more.

Things that would reduce or eliminate the tip are never being in the car, declaring that they are going to make up the bed at a certain time (pet peeve), NOT making up the bed at all.

I do not pre-tip but will tip for meeting minimum expectations, even if done with a scowl. I am not afraid to completely stiff a truly bad attendant.

Are OBS railroad union members?
All Amtrak employees, sans-management, are union. And even some management continue paying their dues so they can go back on the road if something happens to their job
That helps to add some perspective.

So OBS get paid a pretty good wage, plus benefits and overtime pay if the train they are working on runs late?

OBS get no overtime for a late train. By Union contract, employees are guaranteed a certain minimum number of hours per month. I don't know the current rule on this. If their trains run late and they have to work extra hours, this is paid at regular rate until a certain threshold is reached, at which time overtime (time and 1/2) kicks in. Again, I don't know the current rule.

All of this is based on hours accrued in a month, and not on the individual trip. The total hours on a particular trip do not affect this, so it is possible for an attendant to work an extremely late train at 100% straight time. I know of situations where attendants have worked extremely late trains and gotten sick afterwards. Then they missed their next trip and ended up short of their required hours for that month, and got no overtime at all.

By the way, unless something has changed in the past few years (unlikely), holidays are paid at time & 1/2 for 8 hours per day. OBS employees who work more than 8 hours get time & 1/2 for 8 hours, and straight time for the rest.

Some other crafts have much more generous contracts, with double and triple time for holidays and holiday overtime. Not OBS.

I'm retired. Some current employee can correct me if I am wrong about any of this.

Tom

Still spot on as always Tom. For the record, extra board is only guaranteed 150 hours a month, an attendant with a refill regular is guaranteed 180 hours, and anything over 185 is finally overtime.

Back