Photo

minimum tip to leave so SCA doesn't realize I'm a cheapskate?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 DraftBeer

DraftBeer

Train Attendant

• Training
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

let me get this out of the way first... I am a certified

cheapskate.  :)  

however.....

what's the minimum amount of tip that I should leave so

the sleeping car attendant doesn't realize that I'm a

cheapskate?  (on the CONO)

Thanks!

#2 greatcats

greatcats

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

If the service is Just OK, I would give him a 5. Good service- 10. The other day I really thought well of the SCA, Jesus, and gave him 20. Lousy service - ZERO.
I was a commuter railroad employee in NJ for many years until 2002, and have since been a tour guide at Grand Canyon National Park and Ketchikan, Alaska. Also, have been a National Park Volunteer at Hawaii Volcanoes and now Sunset Crater Volcano near my home. If not on Amtrak, also like long road trips, camping some of the time.

#3 the_traveler

the_traveler

Engineer

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,406 posts
  • Interests:Planning my next trip

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

The "average" is probably $10 per night per person, although some leave $-0- (either by accident, forgetfulness or otherwise).
Take it easy .......

Take the train instead and enjoy the ride!

#4 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

Oh Christ...we haven't even finished bickering over the last thread asking about tipping. So before anyone starts doing that here too, let me recap for you. Tips are not required, but appreciated as always.

That being said, even though I work for Amtrak and know the struggles the sleeper attendants face, I only tip $5. Disclaimer: I'm only onboard for one night, and I don't require any extraordinary help.

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#5 Tennessee Traveler

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:35 PM

Don't worry about being a cheapskate or appearing as such.  I usually tip $10 per night; however, I have started reducing that by $5 per night if the SCA does not offer to assist me with my carryon luggage when I am deboarding at the end of my trip.  Usually I tip the redcap to help with boarding and they do volunteer to carry my carryon to my room for me.  I should say that I am a 75 year old not handicapped male but I do have balance issues climbing stairs and anyone who has ridden Amtrak know the stairwell is narrow and circular so assistance is appreciated.  

Unfortunately, the CONO SCA's don't seem to ever offer assistance so, yes, I only tip $5 for the one night if they don't help me.

#6 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

If the SCA is very helpful going beyond, like making a doll out of a cloth napkin for my youngest granddaughter on her first trip, or checking in with me if I needed anything, etc. I will tip up to $20.  If The SCA is good, friendly, I tip $10.  If I have to get my carry on bag downstairs, I tip less since I have trouble with stairs when carrying a bag.  If I am making down my bed and putting up the bedding in the morning and the MIA SCA is only available to say goodbye with their hand out for a tip, they only get a letter written to Customer Service about being MIA. I will say that I find I am tipping every SCA over the past couple years, and many of those have been above average.  It seems like I am finding the SCA group to be better each year.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

#7 Cho Cho Charlie

Cho Cho Charlie

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Starships

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Oh Christ...we haven't even finished bickering over the last thread asking about tipping. So before anyone starts doing that here too, let me recap for you. Tips are not required, but appreciated as always.

That being said, even though I work for Amtrak and know the struggles the sleeper attendants face, I only tip $5. Disclaimer: I'm only onboard for one night, and I don't require any extraordinary help.

Oh..... I was so looking forward to another bout

$0 Mr Burns
$5 Brian
$10 Homer
$20 Carter Pewterschmidt
Me

Proud supporter of the Trails to Rails program.

#8 Deni

Deni

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

I think I always tip at least a $20 even if I don't ever need anything. (I usually don't, just want my bunk made up at the time I request) It would take serious intentional and outward hostility toward me to make me do anything less. I still tip bad waiters 20% because I don't like to penalize people for having a bad night. They still have rent to pay.

#9 JayPea

JayPea

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts
  • Location:Colfax, WA (CFX)---Hey, it's only an Amtrak Thruway bus stop, but at least my town in mentioned on Amtrak's website and in their timetable!
  • Interests:Trains, photography, photography of trains, travel, travel by train, reading, reading about trains............

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

I tip usually $5/night. I too don't require any special assistance. I might go above and beyond that if the SCA has gone above and beyond with their service. For lousy/non existent service, nothing. To repeat an earlier post, tipping is not required. It is appreciated however.

Amtrak Routes Traveled: City of New Orleans, State House/Lincoln Service, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Cascades, Crescent, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited, Silver Meteor, Lake Shore Limited, Pacific Surfliner, Cardinal. 
Pre-Amtrak Routes Traveled: Empire Builder (Great Northern), North Coast Limited (Northern Pacific), Abraham Lincoln (Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio), City of Hinkle  (Union Pacific) Panama Limited (Illinois Central)
Bustitutions: Portland-Spokane (EB),Galesburg-Bloomington (CZ/Lincoln Service ) 
Amtrak Miles: 77509

Pre-Amtrak Miles: 8478
Bustitution Miles: 450
Excursion trains ridden:  Centralia and Chehalis Railroad, Mt. Hood Scenic Railroad, Alaska Railroad, 1880 Train (Black Hills Central RR) and trains at the Illinois Railway Museum, California Railway Museum, and the Monticello (IL) Railroad Museum.

#10 Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts
  • Interests:Mechanized Travel

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:57 PM

let me get this out of the way first... I am a certified cheapskate.   :)  however..... what's the minimum amount of tip that I should leave so the sleeping car attendant doesn't realize that I'm a cheapskate?  (on the CONO) Thanks!

The funny thing about tipping is that a small tip can sometimes be perceived as being worse than no tip at all. If there's no tip then maybe the person was simply unaware that tipping was expected. If there's a tiny tip then it removes any chance of confusion and risks looking like an insult.

I think I always tip at least a $20 even if I don't ever need anything. (I usually don't, just want my bunk made up at the time I request) It would take serious intentional and outward hostility toward me to make me do anything less. I still tip bad waiters 20% because I don't like to penalize people for having a bad night. They still have rent to pay.

So you always tip. At least 20% or $20. Every single time. Even for service you know is bad. I don't even know what to say to that.

I'd rather be a glass half empty than a glass half fool.

#11 Deni

Deni

Lead Service Attendant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

So you always tip. At least 20% or $20. Every single time. Even for service you know is bad. I don't even know what to say to that.

Yes, because I make the same amount of money even when I have a bad day at work. I don't get penalized and have my pay cut. I hate American tipping culture and wish we'd move away from it. Leaves people's income in the hands of customers' whims way too much.

#12 niemi24s

niemi24s

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

Oh Christ...we haven't even finished bickering over the last thread asking about tipping.

Careful with those comments - wouldn't want our self-proclaimed Post Police to scold you!   :P

#13 Lonestar648

Lonestar648

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

Think of all the cash one has to carry to cover a long trip on Amtrak:

Taxi driver getting to the station

Red Cap assistance boarding

SCA after trip

SCA if a meal in the room

DC Server - 4-6 meals on long trips

Cafe - if snacks are purchased

Red Cap assistance getting off the train.

Its like a high end hotel where everyone is expecting and working for your tip money by offering to assist you.

I am not saying these people do not deserve the tips, in fact some companies monitor employee tip percentage as a gauge as to how well they are doing in their job as compared to others working the route, etc. I will always tip because our culture is tip based, but agree it would be nice if you didn't have to carry so much cash to cover the tipping, if the fare included everything.

Trains Traveled On:
Texas Eagle                                      Sunset Limited                            California Zephyr                                Southwest Chief                Empire Builder            Capitol Limited           Lake Shore limited (NYP & BOS)      Crescent
Kentucky Cardinal                             Cardinal                                       Pere Marquette                                  Wolverines                        Lincoln Service            Empire Service          Keystone Service                               Acelas
NE Regionals                                    Pioneer                                        Desert Wind                                       Broadway Limited             Three Rivers                Southwest Chief        Coast Starlight                                    Empire Service

Amtrak Miles Logged: over 197,000

#14 Ryan

Ryan

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,114 posts
  • Interests:a fact checker combined with a ferret

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Oh Christ...we haven't even finished bickering over the last thread asking about tipping.

Careful with those comments - wouldn't want our self-proclaimed Post Police to scold you!   :P

I know, people like this are the worst:

Here's a link to 22 threads on this enchanting subject:  http://discuss.amtra...h&fromMainBar=1  A search of this site will turn up 22 threads dealing with tipping.

Wish some kind soul would post links to the other 4 or 5 recent threads dealing with gratuities.  Same blather repeated every 6 months or so begins to wear thin after a while - but that's just me.  Carry on if you must.

Posted Image

Disclaimer: Any images or links you see in my post may in fact be invasive advertising or even fraudulent phishing attacks silently injected into my post by our spam based hosting service. If anything looks suspicious or inappropriate or you have any doubt whatsoever then do not click any links (particularly those appearing in green and/or with a double underline) or interact with the spam in any way. You may also want to consider using ad-blocking plugins such as Adblock Plus and/or Ghostery)to help reduce the number and severity of advertising scams directed at you.

#15 Dan O

Dan O

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:25 PM

Cafe guy gets a tip too? It seems similar to the person who sells snacks at the movie theater. Never thought to tip that person. I was more in the middle, tip sometimes on the train but after seeing that everyone I see is looking for a tip, I am not so sure anymore. 

Amtrak miles 13487
Pre-Amtrak train miles 6678

#16 AmtrakBlue

AmtrakBlue

Engineer

• Gathering Committee Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

Cafe guy gets a tip too? It seems similar to the person who sells snacks at the movie theater. Never thought to tip that person. I was more in the middle, tip sometimes on the train but after seeing that everyone I see is looking for a tip, I am not so sure anymore. 

I've seen tip jars on counters at many establishments where you walk up and order your food.  I rarely put a tip in those.

2011: Jun: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // Nov: WIL=>WAS=>CHI=>PRO (NER=>CL=>CZ)
2012: Apr: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER) // May(NTD): WIL=>PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>PAO=>PHL (Keystone) // Aug: WIL=>WAS (NER) / BWI=>WIL (NER) // Oct(Gathering): PHL=>WIL (NER) / PHL=>HAR=>PHL (Keystone) / SEPTA, NJT, PATCO, River Line, Princeton Dinky
2013: May(NTD): WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct (Gathering): WIL=>CHI (Card) / CHI=>MKE=>GLN=>CHI() / CHI=>JOL=>CHI () / CHI=>WIL(CL=>NER) / CTA, Metra. SEPTA (WIL=>NRK) // Nov:  PHL=>PHL (Autumn Express) 
2014: May(NTD):  WIL=>PHL=>WIL(NER) // May:  WIL=>BOS=>WIL(NER) day trip

2014: Oct(Gathering): WIL=>NYP=>TOL(pd-NER=>LSL) / TOL=>CHI=>LAX=>EMY(pts-LSL=>SWC=>CS) / EMY=>CHI=>TOL (pts-CZ-CL) / TOL=>WAS=>WIL(pd-CL=>NER)
2015: May: CHI=>CIN(pd-Card) / CIN=>WIL(pts Card)
2015;  Oct(Gathering):  WIL=>WAS(Acela) / ALX=>WAS(NER) / WAS=>BAL(Acela) / WAS=>WIL(NER)

2016: Mar: WIL=>WAS=>WIL (NER)  // Oct:  WIL=>NYP=>NYP=>WIL (Autumn Express) 

#17 FormerOBS

FormerOBS

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  • Interests:Literature; History in general, especially American Hist.; Hist. of RR's & Industry; Camping; Travel; Model Railroading. Retired from Amtrak June, 2014 after 27 years and over 3,500,000 miles. What I say here DOES NOT necessarily represent Amtrak's views or policies.

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:36 PM

let me get this out of the way first... I am a certified

cheapskate.   :)

I don't understand the point of the question. Why bother asking it?

Tom

Edited by FormerOBS, 06 March 2017 - 09:36 PM.

#18 KmH

KmH

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, photography

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:20 AM

Are OBS railroad union members?

U. S. Congress - underground trolley system (1963) • Disneyland train (1968 and various other dates) • Old Tucson steam train (1969)

Amtrak: California Zephyr - Coast Starlight 

. . . . . . .Total Amtrak miles - 11,390

• 4993 miles booked May '17 - Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Illinois Zephyr.

#19 Triley

Triley

Conductor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:07 AM

All Amtrak employees, sans-management, are union. And even some management continue paying their dues so they can go back on the road if something happens to their job

My posts are my own opinions and do not represent the views of my employer in any way, shape, or form. ~ Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

#20 Acela150

Acela150

Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

All Amtrak employees, sans-management, are union. And even some management continue paying their dues so they can go back on the road if something happens to their job

A wise manager does that
These posts are my views and opinions.

Donate your spare time! Be a Volunteer Firefighter!

"Mainline 66W Recrew On Board at Abrams ready to head east when you can handle us, Ok 66W, ok on signal indication at Norris, take it to the Falls to wait for the window"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users